“What a gem in Dana Point!” 5 of 5 stars

$50 Daily Credit
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“What a gem in Dana Point!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

This is a really beautiful hotel. It has been recently renovated and has very lovely rooms and beautiful grounds. There is a wonderful park that sits right in front of the hotel where there are yoga classes and it's a great place to walk and relax.
The Dana Point Marina is within walking distance with several very good places to eat. I highly recommend Proud Mary's for breakfast, which is a little spot overlooking the water and seagulls. And I would recommend Gemmell's, which is French, for a nice date out off the grounds of the hotel, also down in the Marina.
The staff at this hotel is superb! They do have a very nice workout room and a couple of nice pools. The hotel does offer room service, which is excellent, as well as very good food in their bar and restaurant, both with views of the mighty Pacific up on the cliff where it is situated. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. The only two faults that I have with this place are: Number 1, their parking fee is $29 per night, so just be aware of that. You are not able to park your own car, so you are really stuck paying the 29 bones. The nice thing about that, however, is that it is in a safe parked garage with 24/7 valet. I did kind of feel for the valets as I'm sure they would prefer to make more tips and have a less expensive parking rate, but that's how it goes.
Number 2, it is a Marriott, and so if you know anything about their program, they offer points, so there are a lot of corporate nerds staying there using their points. So sometimes it gives the place the feeling that you're at a corporate meeting, unfortunately, with all the guys in suits walking around.
My wife and I had to sit through listening to a couple of lawyers talk about work at a table next to us, so just be warned that there are working people there and kind of make it hard to realize you are on vacation.
But these are two very minor issues, but I do feel they need to be mentioned as it doesn't really have the same vibe as if you were at, say, a hotel in Mexico or something. But I really loved this place, lots of things to do for day trips, i.e., drive to Disney, go fishing, hiking, or take a nice drive down to La Jolla for the day.
Oh, they do offer poolside food service, which is a big plus, and they have really comfy chairs out by the pool. Oh, lastly, if you want to have great food on the cheap, which is sometimes hard to find in Dana Point, check out Caliente Coastal Cantina, which has Taco Tuesdays and is a short drive from the hotel. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to e-mail me. Happy travels!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
St. Louis, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

The walls were super thin. We could hear normal conversations from the rooms next to us. Everything else was fine...but kind of hard to sleep or enjoy your partner when you can hear the neighbors talking about where they want to go to dinner.

The wifi situation was a joke. It was based on a 24 hour cycle. So if you bought the wifi 45 minutes before the 24 hour cut off, you paid $13 for 45 minutes of wifi.

Valet parking was mandatory even though our room was 10 yards from the parking garage. So, you had to pay like $30 a night for parking and then tip valet every single time you wanted to leave the hotel.

The hotel was in a nice location, the rooms were clean.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010 via mobile

I came here for a bachelorette party with 4 other girls. We stayed in two adjoining rooms and added a rollaway bed. It took quite a bit of tetris to fit the rollaway bed in the room, which already had two double beds. The spa was fantastic, and everyone at the hotel was super nice and helpful. The views can't be beat, and the reservations are easily made and changed online, which was a big plus for me because I had to adjust the reservations several times. Be sure to check their website often, they offer lots of packages that include valet parking and breakfast for reasonable rates.

• Stayed November 2010
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

This is my second time staying at this property, and it is simply beautiful, with fantastic service. I will be staying here again when I return to OC next year.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Poulsbo, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

Scored this hotel on Priceline for $93 a night (technically only $83 since I used a coupon from the Entertainment book) and LOVED IT!!! Were given a room with an incredible view of the water (to be enjoyed on our enclosed deck)!

My husband and I joked that next time we go to this hotel we're not going to tell our family/friends that we're in town, so we won't ever have to leave the hotel!!! The pool was deserted our entire stay, and was exceptionally kept and heated to the perfect temperature. It was so nice we considered skipping the beach to stay poolside, but the beach won in the end. :)

The only complaint is the $27 a day valet charge! It's complete extortion! No where is that expensive to park, even at the beach. And, I think they do a disservice to their valets who work there. I can tell you that my husband (who's normally a very generous tipper) held back a bit here because we knew what a ridiculous fee we were being charged! But really, for the price we paid for the hotel per night, there's not too much room to even complain about the parking.

Can't wait to return!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

I traveled here for a work conference and wasn't sure what to expect. This hotel not only met my expectations it far exceeded them. When I checked in I was greeted by a friendly front desk staff. They asked me lots of questions about the type of room I would like and were happy to accomodate me. My room wasn't ready so I had lunch in their restaurant. The food and service were both great! The views at the hotel are breaktaking! My room was very spacious and incredibly clean. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in that area.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

The Marriott Resort Laguna Cliffs was our planned leisure destination after a weeklong convention at the superb Marriott Marina in San Diego (5 Stars!). Unfortunately, the usually high quality staffing that keeps us going to Marriott properties was completely absent at this Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa. The front desk clerk was short and abrupt and seemed to have disdain for our Marriott Elite Gold Level Status. She had to make a big production about how we could not have the same room for paid nights and points nights and that we'd have to move from room to room for our three nights and bill each one separately. When told this would be unacceptable she threw her head back and rolled her eyes as if to say we didn't HAVE to stay there and could go to any other hotel. She begrudgingly gave us a pool view in the new wing.

The room was clean and certainly on the small side. To see the ocean we had to go out on the small balcony. Internet was listed in the hotel guide book at $9.95/day, but when you signed on it was only available at $12.95/day. The air-conditioner was difficult to control and never really did cool the room down properly. When in the room you could hear the toilet of the next door room flushing.

All our trips to and from our room took us through the hallway that also served as the hallway for their convention/banquet room and we were even told once we couldn't be in that area by conventioneers, yet it was the only want to get to and from our room.

The restaurant was nicely decorated and the staff was fair. Breakfast Buffet was very nice with lots of fruit and options. The one evening we ate dinner at the restaurant they also had 3 events on the property. It seemed as if the A-Staff, B-Staff and C-Staff, all had their hands full taking care of the events, so we had the D-list staff members taking care of us and the food was awful and the service comical worst.

Some nights we had turn down service and other nights nothing. Some days our room was made up early and others not until late afternoon. Our first morning we planned to sleep late and even with the do not disturb on the door they were pounding on the door and calling our room at 11:01 am telling us to get out. When we explained that we were there for 3 nights the head of housekeeping said we'd have to speak to the manager because they told her we were checking out. Front Desk just ran the credit card again and treated us like we were checking in again and made us turn our keys in and then reissued new keys with a different color. The Parking situation is abysmal at best and very expensive. We were told by several people from the local area to not use the spa services as they were mediocre at best.

This hotel has so many things going for it, but it is clear the management fails in training their staff. Marriott should really look into if they continue to want their brand associated with this hotel that could be perfect if they just trained their staff to Marriott standards. Customer Service is lacking at this alleged Resort.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!