“Relaxing stay!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Relaxing stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

Spent 3 nights at this hotel in September and had a wonderful relaxing break. Staff were friendly and helpful, all facilities were clean and the buffet breakfast was good. This hotel was undergoing renovations during our visit but I didn't feel that it detracted from our stay. It has a business centre, small fitness room and spa facilities - all of which were fully functional. The pool and outside area are beautiful and the views out to sea are amazing. I highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

My three friends and I stayed here for a girl's night out. The resort is in a beautiful location. We had a ground floor garden room with a lovely roomy patio.

The room was spacious. The carpet and furniture were new. Super clean marble bathroom with nice botanical toiletries. Big flat screen TV. Big comfy robes. The room was big enough to accomodate my three friends and I no problem.

After a night out, we all slept like babies in the comfy beds that Marriott Resorts are known for. The next morning we ordered room service which was great. The pool area was really nice, clean, and relaxing.

The grounds were beautiful, I wish we had more time to walk around.

The only thing we didn't like about this resort was the $27 valet parking. Self parking was $25 so who would self park? Their spa menu didn't list prices so you can only imagine how expensive the services were here.

All in all, this resort was pretty, cape cod kind of feel to it. Beautiful rooms, and I would love to go back and take my family for the weekend. It is really close to everything too.
Loved it!!

Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

Back in September my wife planned a couple nights away and we found a terrific deal at this marriot property. Upon arrival, we were shocked to see most of the resort closed due to renovations.

No lobby - no fitness center - no 2nd pool as advertised - no activities such as tennis - no bar - lackluster breakfast area that's also their restaurant at night.....no space to walk and enjoy the grounds.

it may be a great resort - but we did not see it.

i would not advise staying here until at least the spring.

Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

I stayed 3 nights for a business meeting up the coast at the Ritz-Carlton Dana Point. The Marriott had a very good rate and was a good value. The hotel is old, but in very good condition. The check in was interesting; there is no large lobby with multiple clerks. Instead, it is a small room with two people sitting at desks to personally welcome you to the hotel.

All parking is valet and is very expensive. I think it was $25 or more, but not as expensive as the Ritz. Still, the valet service was excellent and I never had to wait for my car.

The hotel is located at the top of the cliffs overlooking the marina. It is adjacent to a small park and there are walkways through the park with nice views of the ocean and coast. The architecture of the hotel was reminiscent of the Del Coronado in San Diego.

The rooms were very well appointed and comfortable. The beds featured large, high mattresses and fine linens. I had a view of the ocean from my room, but no balcony. Some rooms did have balconies. There were two pools and a spa onsite. There was a restaurant, but I did not use it.

The business center was rather disappointing. It was small with no good area to work with colleagues. The hotel was much more focused for spa and leisure travelers.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
santa maria, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

The hotel was a complete pleasure. We were in Dana Point for family wedding. Location was close to Cannon's where wedding was located. Pool area recently remodeled. " Water Playground" was nice for 4 year old and even 13 year old. Enjoyed a late check out and hung out by pool, enjoyed view and lunch poolside. Took advantage of valet parking, consider it vacation. Liked the service throughout hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband and I spent our 1st year anniversary here. The location is beautiful being close to beaches and lots of restaurants. The pool area was nice and relaxing; someone comes around and takes your drink orders. We had a room on the top floor with a bay window and a slight view. Comfortable beds w/ super fluffy pillows. Overall, a good weekend getaway! Only downsides are no free parking or wi-fi and the gym is right in the front of the hotel where everyone can see you as they check-in/out or wait for their cars.

Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

I extended a business trip in LA to spend some time with one of my best friends and celebrate her birthday. We drove from LA in the evening on 9/13/09, had dinner and checked into the hotel with no problems. My friend made the hotel reservations and our plan was to spend the night and spend the day in the Laguna Beach /Dana Point area.

We slept late on Monday and after getting up initially, we got back into the bed (siting up) to chat and send a few text messages, emails. Well, I saw something on the bed move out of the corner of my eye. I looked and did a double take. There was a SCORPION in the bed between my friend and I! I told her there was a scorpion and to get out of the bed. I flicked the top sheet to get it away from us. It went to the floor. We searched for, found it and covered it with a drinking glass. It was 1 inch long. I called the concierge and told them that we found a scorpion in our bed. He was shocked and asked if we wanted to change rooms. YES!!!! We were too creaped out to get dressed in that room because we did not know if there were any others. Thank God we were not stung! Keys were sent up right away for a room down the hall. (They did fine here) and then the engineer came up and took away the scorpion that we caught.

We moved to the other room, dressed and then went to check out. My friend gave the person at the desk both sets of room keys and her name. He handed her the full amount of the bill! They didn't even show enough concern to adjust the bill. I was appalled that they did not adjust and comp the room for such a horrible experience. My friend had to ask for them to do something and that she was still dealing with the shock of what happened. The Assistant Manager - Felix (young in his twenties) said that he would take off the parking fee. What?! Are you kidding me. I spoke up and asked, "Is there anything else that you can do given what occurred?" He told us that he was very sorry about the experience, but the hotel is not responsible for things that get into the room because of doors left open. We, did not leave the doors open and this is a poor excuse to side step the issue. I told him that we found a SCORPION in our bed between us and the either one of us or both could have been stung and that this was an upsetting experience. I also mentioned that we have both traveled all over the world and never encountered an experience like this. He went back to his computer and printed off another receipt and gave it to us. he said I took $69 dollars off. Again we were insulted and highly offended. I was already annoyed at his indifference to customer satisfaction. I asked him again, " Is there anything else that you can do?" He said he was sorry, but he could not. I told him that I had photos of the scorpion. (Trip Advisor was on my mind as we were dealing with this person!) My friend looked at me and said that she would write a letter. I said, ok because I would have asked to speak to a more senior manager.

The service was lacking based upon how this issue was handeled. This is the worst service that I have received from any hotels in the Marriott chain. My advice is to make reservations to stay at the Blue Lantern Inn. Several of my colleagues and I stayed there on business and the service and rooms were wonderful. Another colleague stayed at this same Marriott during that visit. I can't wait to tell him what happened and to advise that no one from the company use this Marriott on future business trips.

Two gentlemen at the valet asked about our stay and we were honest and said not great and that we were disappointed. They asked why and we told them what happened. They were appalled that management did not handle the situation correctly. Maybe the gentlemen in the valet should be working the front desk and the Asst manager Felix should be working the valet.
My review would have been more favorable had the incident been handled properly by management.

The room photos are from the second room we moved to. The scorpion photos...nothing else to be said. They are a bit blurry - had to focus through the glass and on the floor.

Needless to say this was not a good start my friend's b-day celebration, thankfully the day improved greatly once we left the hotel!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!