“Room Needs Some TLC but Ambience Great” 4 of 5 stars

$50 Daily Credit
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Room Needs Some TLC but Ambience Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

The view is spectacular and the staff is Marriott professional and trained. Especially good were the waitpersons in the dining/bar area. They did seem on one night to be understaffed. One hiccup occurred when I requested a sitting near the window for later that evening for a special occasion. Keep in mind that I was doing business meals/meetings all day, so they knew me & I am a Lifetime Gold Member. The one thing I believe is in the service industry you should never do is simply say "no" to a paying customer. I worked it out later and a very kind waitperson & bartender comped a drink and brought a cupcake! Good thinking.
Pool area is very nice and clean. I did not have the opportunity to use the spa due to business.
Pricy to park a car, but in fairness, parking is tricky in Dana Point.
All in all, I would return as I like the area but only on discounted pricing.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your compliments regarding our staff. We thank you for sharing your experience with us and we are delighted to hear that we were able to fulfill your request despite the hiccup. We look forward to your next visit and we would definitely recommend that you experience the Spa. We know you will not be disappointed. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Newport Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

This Resort is in a great location overlooking Dana Point Harbor. The room was clean but average. The bed was old and had body ruts in it, so the middle of the bed was the high spot. I was woken up several times by people yelling in the hallway throughout the night. This is more of a family resort than a couples retreat, kids of all ages everywhere. The pool was a zoo. I was charged $32 for Valet parking a car that I did not bring. I did confront the front desk who removed the charge with no question. Overall I was hoping to have an enjoyable weekend away, but was left a bit disappointed.

Room Tip: Ocean View
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your compliments regarding our resorts location and cleanliness. We regret that you felt the resort was not conducive for a couples retreat. We find the resort to be a perfect fit for business travelers, couples, and families. We do apologize if there were too many people at the pool. The beauty of Southern California is the sunshine that is present year round and our guests take advantage of this amazing weather by being outside. We encourage our guests to utilize the two pools that the resort offers (one has a children’s splash zone and the other does not). We are happy to hear that we were able to correct your parking charge and we apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.
Oakley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Nick was terrific at check in. Demonstrating all the hotel's features. Ashley in the lounge was attentive and always smiling. Megan was a little swamped and hard to come by, but still overall the experience was decadent. Try the donut holes! really decadent. Trying the spa today.

Room Tip: ocean view is the way to go. if you cant get that try for the pool view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you for your 5 star rating. We appreciate your compliments regarding our staff and we will definitely share them with our team. I couldn’t agree with you more, the donut holes are my favorite dessert at the resort as well. We hope you enjoyed your spa treatment and we’re sure you left feeling relaxed and rejuvenated. We look forward in having you back the next time you are in Dana Point.
Naperville, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Stayed at the Lagune Cliffs Resort on 3-26-14 and I agree that the location and facility is gorgeous. My issue stems from someone in the mandatory valet taking liberties with my car. Went out for dinner the night I checked in and when my car was brought to me the next morning at checkout there was someone else's CD playing in the stereo, food wrappers on the passenger floor, and an empty orange juice container on the passenger seat. None of these were mine. As you can imagine, I am now worried who was been doing who knows what in my car?? I called the Desk Manager and she apologized saying she would look into it after talking to the Valet Manager and would call me back that day. No call. A few days go by and still no call. So I call the resort back, get the same Desk Manager, back on the phone and she's still looking into it and will call me. I never get a call back. More days and I call back and find out their investigation led to nothing. No valet says it was their items. No kidding....what did you think they were going to say?? Apparently there is zero protocol in place to monitor their valets in any way. Desk Manager offered to take care of my valet fee. I argued that's not enough and she said crediting the resort fee too was all she could do. Let's consider some more serious ramifications here....where could their valet could have taken my car for a spin to? what could they have done in my car without me knowing? what laws could have been broken that could only leade back to me? The sky's the limit really because they have no idea where their valets are. Someone clearly in my car taking a break for awhile. I consider this a violation of presonal property and the Laguna Cliffs feels that is worth about $50-60.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you for your review. We want to apologize for the experience you had with our valet service and deeply regret that you walked away from your stay disappointed and angry. We are very interested in learning more about this situation as our valet service is extremely professional and courteous and we have never received a complaint of this sort. It is quite puzzling to us. We take this very seriously and we would like to remedy the issue immediately. If you could please reach out to our Rooms Director, we would appreciate it. His number is 949-487-7517.
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Beautiful property with magnificent views of the Pacific ocean. Being platinum members we got free upgrade to the suite without asking for it. Wifi worked well, breakfast was plentiful for about $25 per person. Rooms clean and room service was nice. would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We couldn’t agree with you more, the ocean views are magnificent. We thank you for the lovely compliments regarding our property, room service and speedy Wi-Fi. We hope you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade and we thank you for being loyal Marriott customers. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

This resort is located at the top of cliffs over looking the parks and harbor. Many restaurants, shops and the harbor are within walking distance. The walk back is a bit of a hike since its quite a steep hill or stairs to get back to the resort. The pool area is relaxing with good music playing. The two down sides of this resort are the walls in the room are thin... And the prices for food and drinks are ridiculously high! Other than that it is a beautiful place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the resorts close proximity to the harbor and marina. We hope that you were able to relax and unwind at our pools during your stay. We appreciate your feedback and will definitely take your comments into consideration. We hope you visit us again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I've been coming here for years and I haven't wanted to review this place because I don't want people to know about it. Sure there are the Ritz and Montage and St. Regis down the street but I truly prefer the Cliffs based on price, accommodations and overall service. If I had a complaint, it's that they don't give you enough pillows in the room unless you ask for it. The pillows are somewhat older and flattens easily so if you want to prop yourself up to watch TV or work, you're out of luck. But requests extra pillows in the reservation or call housekeeping and they will happily give you as much as you need. Try this hotel at least once and I guarantee you will come back again and again.

Room Tip: I like the third floor with a pool view but the other side is the view of the wharf so you can't...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for your 5 star review and for all of your wonderful compliments. We appreciate your recommendation to travelers and we too hope that everyone visiting the Orange County coast experience this resort at least once because we are just as confident that travelers will be back. We want to thank you for your review and for allowing your “secret” to get out. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort soon.

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!