“Great Location and the Weather Helps” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #5 of 9 hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
Renton, Washington
“Great Location and the Weather Helps”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Pros:
Our family had a wonderful time. We enjoyed hanging at the pool and soaking in the large hot tub, playing at the tennis court (came with rackets but we brought our own), the bike rides from there along the beach, the breakfast was perfect, and yeah, it was cold and pouring in Seattle and warm and sunny in Dana Point, go figure
Cons:
The fold out single bed frame was badly bent so the mattress sagged at one corner. My son tried to sleep on it but it messed up his night of rest. We had them come in and fix it the next day which made it better but for such a nice place it seemed a bit odd.

Room Tip: Seems like families with kids would love the ground floor rooms with doors that open to the pool rig...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you had a wonderful time here at the resort. We are happy to hear that our sunny California weather enabled you and your family to partake in outdoor activities.

We are delighted to hear that we were able to fix the fold out bed for your son. Thank you for addressing the issue with our staff and allowing them to correct it in a timely manner. Your comfort is very important to us and we are here to provide you with the services you need to make that possible.

752 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Great location, rooms standard size but nicely remodeled. I do not know that I would call it a resort. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful as was the valet parking staff. I understand the reason for exclusive valet parking being near the State Park Beach but guests should not have to pay 29.95 per day for parking. The main dining room was closed during the week but the casual lounge is very nice and has a limited menu, pricey but available. No shortage of restaurants outside.The staff in the lounge and the dining room for breakfast could use some training on service and being friendly. Breakfast came with the room package but when the server brought the check for signature he said " This is where you put the tip" I understand that you might want to lead the guest in that direction but there is a better way to encourage tipping instead of giving orders. The grounds couldnt be nicer and the pools are great. The spa is another story, snobbish staff on the desk and young rushing technicians. I made reservations for the 2 females in our party for facials and massages. It was packaged price at 235.00 each for a combined 2 hour service each. Before they were finished I went to pay the bill and was told that they place a 20% gratuity on the bill automatically. When I questioned this they said most people dont mind because they are relaxed after the services and just say ok.....nice job if you can get it. I told her to take it off. I always tip in cash to the staff. The change in hospitality was apparent from that point on. When the ladies came out I asked about the service and it was decided to tip each technician 15.00 for a total of 60.00 for their 1 hour service. When the tip was given to the receptionist she asked if the money was for all service tips and when told yes counted it out broadly and makinga loud point of saying 60.00. Technicians are self employed as such they receive a commission for all services at least 30 and as much as 50%. With this tip they are earning 45-60.00 per hour. Not bad for young kids on the block or anyone for that matter. Tips should always be accepted for what they are with gratitude and not looked upon as deserving.
it was a monday the resort was empty and the spa had no customers, the spa received 470.00 for services and they act insulted.

Room Tip: Ocean is a distance , balcony small, but no reason to stay here without a oceanview, this property c...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your compliments regarding our great location and our friendly and informative front desk and valet staff. Our staff is here to provide excellent service in all areas and anything below that is unsatisfactory to us. We are delighted that you enjoyed the pools and the facilities throughout the resort. We’ve designed the property to give guests a casual yet sophisticated feel. Our ocean views are quite spectacular and we must agree with you that our remodel has allowed us to embrace panoramic ocean views from all areas of the resort. In regards to your experience in our Vue Restaurant, we deeply regret that you felt you were forced to leave a tip. Our employees are highly trained professionals and they are here to inform our guests . Please be assured that we will address this issue with our staff.

Thank you for addressing your issue at the Spa, as previously mentioned our staff is here to make your stay as comfortable and pleasurable as they can. We are very disappointed at the way the payment was handled. We will address this with our Spa staff immediately. Our service levels should always be consistent and there is no excuse for the unsatisfactory experience. We do include a 20% gratuity for the guests' convenience, but this can always be modified per preference and should have been handled discreetly, contrary to what you described. Technicians are licensed professionals by the state of California and are associates of Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa. They do receive a commission per industry standards, and this is due to their experience, education, and extensive training. We agree that a tip of any amount should always be accepted graciously. Anything other than that, is far below our standards. Again, please accept our sincerest apologies and be assured that we will follow up on all feedback.
RHE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

After reading the great reviews on Trip Advisor, we booked this hotel for a one-night stay as it was close to Mission San Juan Capistrano. As a mother of two young girls, I don't have time to write reviews, except I was so disappointed with our stay. We arrived there around 7:30pm, and got settled in to a room on the first floor, which had a patio with a peek-a-boo view of the harbor. The room's decor was contemporary and nice. Unfortunately, we didn't realized until 9:30pm that the sofa-bed was unmade. Upon further examination, we looked at the mattress and discovered a HUGE urine stain on top. I flipped the mattress over and found dried feces. For our "inconvenience," the credited us a whopping "$15," the resort fee. Beware there is also a $29.95/day valet parking fee. The location of the hotel is pretty, but the fog horn the sounds off in the adjacent harbor kept us up for most of the night. I think our stay was NOT worth the price we paid and I believe they should have discounted the room at bit more out of goodwill.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I should preface this by saying that this whole weekend was a surprise to me, so I was blown away when we pulled up to this gorgeous property! We had a wonderful pedicure, and then received an upgrade on our room (Marriott rewards are awesome!). The room was gorgeous and we had a great view.

The bed was AMAZING!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that not only were you surprised but that we were able to make your weekend “Magical”. It brings us great joy to hear that everything was wonderful and that you enjoyed your stay from beginning to end. Our job is provide you and your guest with everything that will make your stay as comfortable and amazing as we can. We’re glad that you enjoyed your upgraded room with the amazing views. Thank you for your 5 Star review and we hope that you visit us again soon.
Damascus, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My Family and I stayed here August 12th to the 16th, 2012. I picked the location because of it is in between San Diego and LA. I thought about the Ritz Carlton up the road but decided this property was closer to Restaurants and the Harbor. Our room was on the 1st floor and was near the more "kid" pool (there are 2, one is more adults and the other has kids). We were at the end of the hall and it felt out of the way and quiet. The room was large and had a sofa bed that helped since all 4 of us were staying in the same room. The first thing you notice is the expansive property with rolling hills. The Hotel sits on a bluff and is not on the Ocean which really did not matter to us. We were out most of the time and only spent 1 day at the pool which was nice. Highlight of the stay was Whale Watching that left from the Harbor. We saw blue Whale.....4 of them and it was great. Staff was friendly and went out of their way. My Wife and I thought about staying there the rest of the week instead of going to Santa Monica.....we went to Santa Monica and wished we stayed in Dana Point.

I would return to this Hotel and would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and for the 5 stars. We are delighted that you and your family chose our resort for your vacation. The resort is halfway between San Diego and Los Angeles and it does give many of our guests the ability to travel South or North in a timely manner. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the quietness and peacefulness of the rooms. The resort’s location on the bluffs allows for the tranquility to sustain throughout. We’re glad that you enjoyed the whale watching experience and that you were able to see four whales during your adventure. There are many activities in the Harbor that our guests enjoy, including kayaking, snorkeling, paddle boarding, etc. we’re very glad that you were able to take advantage of these opportunities. We are happy that our staff was there to create wonderful memories for you and your family. We are looking forward to your next visit when you are in the Dana Point area.
Mission Viejo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This hotel does have a nice location overlooking Dana Point Harbor and the ocean. Nice park nearby for those who like to walk or run. Marina is a good spot for a run, restaurants and a few nice gift shops.

Hotel was remodeled recently and the public areas are quite sleek, modern and plush. Restaurant and bar offer stunning seating areas with views to Catalina if weather cooperates.

Our room was the biggest reason I rated average. We were told we were "upgraded" to a partial ocean view. The room was so close to the elevator you could hear it going all day, night long. As prior reviewer, it is not a quiet property. We would have asked to be moved but our stay was for one night only and we were there for a private event so figured it wasn't worth the move to a quieter location.

Valet parking only for $29/night. There is parking on the street nearby if you want to save some bucks. Also, there are several excellent restaurants a nice walk down from the hotel at Dana Point Harbor. Worth the walk.

Room Tip: If price is right go for an ocean view or 1st floor with patios to get more outdoor space. The patio...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for your review and wonderful compliments regarding our ocean views and close proximity to the Dana Point Harbor and Marina. The Harbor provides many options to our guests who would like to engage in outdoor activities as well as provide guests with quaint restaurants and shops for those who want to do a little shopping. Our very own OverVue Lounge delivers panoramic ocean views that will leave you breathless. We hope you enjoyed the stunning views on the outdoor deck.

We regret that you were not satisfied with your room location. We highly recommend the next time you are unsatisfied that you please ask our Front Office representatives to change your room, if occupancy permits, they would be more than happy to change the location of your room. Our job is for you to feel comfort in your room and get a good night’s rest.

We thank you again for you review.
Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My relatives graciously booked me a room here while I was in California visiting family, and I felt so well-looked after and pampered! The location itself is gorgeous; my room had an ocean-view, and was very clean, as was the entire hotel. The staff in general are very warm and accommodating, and were unfailingly friendly in their service--they never seemed put-upon. Of particular note is the dining experience. On less-hurried days I enjoyed a few meals on my own here before meeting up with my family, and was completely won over by the charming waitstaff and appetizing food. This hotel does it all, from satisfying comfort food to delicious, elegant creations; I even suggested my family join me for dinner here one night, and we weren't disappointed; the staff was adept at handling a large group, and we never felt hurried. All in all this was a remarkable getaway, and I cannot wait to come back! Why stay with relatives in cramped quarters when you can stay here?!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Wow! Thank you for your wonderful compliments regarding our resort’s location and it’s cleanliness. Our goal is to create an environment where you feel right at home. We are delighted to hear that we accomplished this for you. Our friendly staff is known for their kindness and attention to detail. They take great pride in providing the highest level of service to each and every guest. They enjoy their job and it shows. Thank you for your compliments regarding our talented culinary team. I do agree that the food is delicious and the creations are elegant. We are happy to hear that your relatives were able to join you for dinner at the resort. We hope to see back on your next getaway!

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!