“Beautiful and serene hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Daily Credit
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Beautiful and serene hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on a Friday. When we arrived at Noon, we were upgraded and we were given a room right then with no waiting. Katie at the front desk was extremely nice. She gave us an upgrade because of my husband's Marriott gold status. We were given a room with an ocean view. We also had a view of the Vue bar. After checking in, we walked down to the wharf and looked at all of the beautiful boats. After our walk we went to the wind and sea restaurant and enjoyed their Hawaiian happy hour and delicious drinks. The Hawaiian happy hour was great because you can sit outside by the fire pit from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm and enjoy their happy hour prices. After happy hour, we walked back to the hotel and listened
to live music in the Vue bar. It was cozy. When it was time for bed, I tried to turn the air conditioning on and the unit was only blowing warm air even though I had the fan on and
turned the unit down to 67 degrees. I don't think the unit was working properly. In the middle of
the night, I opened the sliding glass doors to the patio to let some cold air in. Other than the
unit not working, the room was great. The bed was a nice king size bed and it was very
comfortable. The bathroom was a little small but the view from our deck made up for that. The
room was on the third floor and was very quiet. The maids did knock on the door quite early to
ask if we wanted housekeeping. I found that to be a little odd. I believe it was about 8:30 am.
I also wanted to mention that we noticed that every employee we encountered was friendly and seemed to be genuinely nice. We were served by Brooke in the Vue bar and she was very nice
as well. All in all it was a great stay and well worth the drive to get there. I would recommend
this hotel for anyone who needs a relaxing getaway. This is a great hotel for couples who need some alone time too.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for a view of the ocean as well as the park out in front of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

My boyfriend and i have stayed here a couple times and we had an absolute blast. The property sits on a cliff overlooking the ocean- doesn't get better than that!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
We are so glad that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your time at the resort. We hope to see you again very soon.
Libertyville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Nice clean room overlooking the water. This property offers a friendly staff and clean rooms. Nothing out of the ordinary - you know what to expect with Marriott. What could have been better is if the staff did something to make the experience just a little bit different.

All in all grounds are kept well, rooms are clean, staff is helpful - food was marginal. Business trip - would stay again. Just nothing that made this trip any different than any other one.

Room Tip: Upper floor away from the elevators.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We regret we did not "Wow" you on your stay. Our job is to give exceptional service and make your stay as enjoyable as we can. We hope that on your next visit we can provide you with the "out of the ordinary" experience you are looking for.
Denver, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

This is a great resort on the cliffs above the Marina in Laguna Beach. We were able to get the room for $110 a night on priceline and with a family of 5 we recieved a complimentary roll-away bed which was very comfortable. Our stay was in late October and we had the resort almost entirely to ourselves. My 2 youngest and I spent about 6 hours a day at the pool and only had company for maybe 1 hour each day.

Everything you could possibly need is within walking distance including a supermarket just down the street. The service and staff were very good and the views from the pool area and restaurant/bar were incredible. The only real draw back was parking at $29 each day... Having the car running and ready everytime you walk down to go somewhwere was a nic benefit.

Room Tip: Room on teh 3rd floor was very quiet and had great views of the ocean and marina.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Wow...thank you for your wonderful compliments. We are so happy that we were able to create a memorable trip for you and your family. We hope your children were able to experience our new Kid's Splash Zone during your stay and in the summer months we have a great kid's club for children too. We are looking forward in seeing all of you soon!
Pasadena, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I've stayed here twice on business and it is certainly a nice hotel with comfortable rooms and good amenities. But the first time I stayed, parking was free, and now they have mandatory valet parking for $29 a day! It just seems to me to be an unnecessary ripoff that spoiled an otherwise pleasant stay. Our conference room on the most recent stay was excellent with fixed curved tables in a tiered arrangement, focusing on the presenter. But another meeting next door had a rock band playing in the afternoon and the sound easily penetrated two walls to become an annoyance during our presentations and discussions. One last item is that the TV in the room had only a limited number of cable channels, something I don't expect for this level hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our guest rooms and the amenities our resort has to offer. We are glad that the set- up of the meeting room was to your liking. We are very pleased to hear that.

We apologize for any noise that disrupted your meeting. Please feel free to alert a staff member whenever you have these issues. We will be more than happy to assist you.
We appreciate your feedback regarding our parking fees. In recent parking surveys we’ve conducted with our fellow resorts located on the coastline, we have found our parking rates to be in line and are actually the most economical.

You also mentioned the limited number of cable channels. We provide over 70 cable channels and we hope that you were able to view all of these channels. Again, please do not hesitate to contact our "At Your Service" department for any issues you may experience during your stay.

Thank you again for your comments.
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

I cannot say enough about this property-- everything about my visit last week was wonderful, especially the staff. Everyone from the bellman to the front desk to the restaurant staff went out of their way to make my stay great. Rooms are comfortable and large, views are unbelievable, and restaurants and bars are perfect for unwinding and relaxing.

I recommend talking with the bellman and renting a bike for $10/hr from the hotel. The area around the resort is breathtaking and it is worth taking an hour to ride down the hill to the beach and harbor.

Other notes:
-Great workout room with plenty of equipment and cardio area
-Breakfast buffet in VUE was wonderful
-Good concierge staff.. gave us great dining advice

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. Nothing beats catching a Dana Point sunset from your room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
We are pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful stay at the resort. We are very excited that you were able to enjoy the newly renovated fitness center and that you were able to rent a bike and ride it along the beach and Dana Point Harbor. The resort is just walking distance from the beach and we do have a view that allows you to watch the beautiful sunsets right from you room.

Thank you for your comments. We hope to see you back real soon.
Newport Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

This is the first time I have ever written a review. I have stayed at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott five times for corporate events. This resort had a special place in my heart because I had my first date at the with my husband to be at a Christmas party for his company. The hotel is beautiful, the location is breathtaking, the customer service was luke warm, but am not one to complain. I have always considered this location for my very large group of family and friends to stay for our wedding festivities. The wedding planner said to stay away from the Laguna Cliffs Marriott, but I had my mind set.Over the course of our engagement I made numerous attempts to meet with someone in person to check out the suites and block a number of rooms for our event. Each person I spoke to gave me some cheezy sales pitch and seemed too busy to answer any questions. Brushed it off, figured they were understaffed. Today I finally met with a catering and sales manager. She seemed like a sweet person, but her customer service skills were not the best. The rates were high of corse, but in the budget, I still wanted to stay at the Marriott. Every request we made she had a robotic rebuttal. Straight out of a handbook. Can we reserve a block of rooms on the same floor? No, she replied because other guests might extend there stay and it would be rude to ask them to move to another room??? Then she mentioned that we couldn't take family pictures with me in my wedding dress anywhere on the Marriott grounds, because we weren't getting married on site and "her" brides should feel like the only brides. Don't they have multiple weddings scheduled in one day? I wasn't even planning on having any wedding photos taken at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott. I'm getting married at a beautiful home. Then it clicked, why would we give this hotel our business? We left and booked the block of rooms at the St. Regis. It's so unfortunate, the resort is a beautiful waste of money if customer service isn't a priority.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the unsatisfactory service you received. Our job is not only to meet the guest’s expectations but to exceed them. We value your opinion and comments greatly and we take every review seriously. I want you to know that we will be addressing your concerns with our team.

We thank you for your loyalty to our property and we recognize that this resort held a special place in your heart. We want to continue to create those beautiful memories for you and your fiancé.

We do give all brides and grooms who are having their wedding at the resort exclusivity to the grounds of the property. We do this so that we can ensure all brides and grooms have the ability to photograph anywhere at any time with no interference. For that reason we mention our photography fee upfront so there are no surprises.

As far as reserving all rooms on one level, we always provide the room types that are requested (i.e., pool view, ocean view, etc.) for our guests but we cannot guarantee the same floor due to the unknown factors of our other guests staying at the resort (i.e., extending their stay).

Thank you again for your feedback.

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!