“Very good stay!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oslo, Norway
“Very good stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Stayed at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott for three days during a business trip in december 2011.
Arrived with a car, and the only available parking service was valet parking for $20 per night, this might be a little expensive.
The staf at check-in was both helpful and friendly, and our room was upgraded to a room with sea view. The room it self was nice and clean, the temperature of the air-condition was sometimes acting up, but it helped to turn it on and off.
We were staying at the hotel in december, this is a low season, so not all restaurants were open, and this gave us limited options for food. Fitness center at the hotel was large and newly renovated.
Overall a very good hotel!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Rey K, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
We are pleased that you had a "very good stay" at the resort. We are delighted that you were upgraded to an ocean view room. The views of the Pacific Ocean are quite spectacular. You mentioned that the room was nice and clean. We trust that you left with a sense of renewal.

Our entire staff is extremely well trained and their priority is giving our guests the highest level of service.

We regret that you had limited dining options. Our OverVue Lounge is a great place for tapas and we have a great in-room dining menu should you choose to have us deliver food to your room. Our guests also have the option of walking to the restaurants in beautiful Dana Point Harbor.

We are very glad you were able to enjoy the newly renovated fitness center with our brand new state of the art equipment.

We hope you come by and visit us again soon.

753 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Buford, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night, 2 adjoining rooms for us and our kids. The property is beautiful. The rooms are updated, clean and very comfortable. The pool area is really nice with a play area for the kids. We loved the cabana style seating around the courtyard. We ate breakfast and it was a great buffet. The workout room had everything needed to get a good workout after the buffet! The staff was friendly and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The overall Dana Point area is very laid back and friendly. We would have loved to stay longer but we had other plans in San Diego.

Room Tip: The third floor does not have balconies.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Rey K, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Thank you for your positive comments. We are so happy that you were able to experience our newly renovated resort. The cabana's are truly an added bonus when you are relaxing by the pool. Our fitness center was just remodeled a few weeks ago with state of the art equipment. We are glad that you were able to work out and try the new facility.
We hope you are able to come again and stay longer on your next visit.
Firestone, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

From the time of our arrival we were taken care of by the valets at the entrance, however there was a mix up with our rooms and I took about 20 min to get us checked in. I absolutely loved the room! The beds were very comfortable and the room was spacious and we did not feel cramped at all. The rooms all have nice balconies and ours opened on to the pool with a view of the ocean. We went to the spa and the treatments were fantasic, the staff was courteous and once they found out I was "recouperating" from my night out they suggested some great treatments to help me feel better! The resort has 2 pools (one for the kids and one for the adults) and we enjoyed the service from the staff that works out by the pool. Overall it was great, we spent an evening on their rooftop bar looking over their grounds to the ocean. Very pretty and peaceful. The only downer for me was that the beach was not right on the grounds. I didn't think it would have been a big deal, but if you are looking for walks on the beach this is not the place for you. I think this place is a hot spot to get married, we saw 2 weddings the weekend we were there and believe me the staff did a wonderful job to ensure how beautiful the ceremony and reception were. However, they did not do much to keep other guests from walking right through receptions and ceremonies! If you are looking into this place for your wedding please ask them about your privacy. All in all this was a wonderful place and I would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
We are delighted that you and your friends had a great time on your bachelorette party. Our beds are very comfortable and spacious and we are very happy that you were able to experience both pool and ocean view guest rooms.
Our full service spa is truly a great place to unwind and rejuvenate.
We have many weddings at our resort and we make sure that every bride and groom receives the privacy they need.
We hope you visit again soon.
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resprt and Spa for 2 nights for our wedding. We booked two separate rooms for each of us and our respective bridal parties. It was a good stay overall but I was a little upset when I heard that someone stopped our photographer from taking pre-wedding pictures of our bridal party. It was communicated that because we did not pay to have a wedding on hotel grounds, we were not permitted to take pictures on the hotel premises without paying an additional fee. I suppose it makes sense and I probably should have done my own research on this but just wanted to share.

Happy vacationing!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
We are very pleased that you had a good stay and we regret that your photographer was stopped from taking pictures. We do give all couples who are having their wedding at the resort exclusive rights to the property. We are very thankful that you understand the reasoning and we hope that this did not inconvenience you in any way.
Tiburon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

I booked a room at this hotel at the last minute for a quiet New Year's Eve and wasn't disappointed. I relaxed by the pool, had an early sunset dinner in the restaurant, and spent a quiet evening reading. At midnight, I opened my window to look out over the distant water and listen to fireworks and people cheering in the new year. Despite the occasion, it wasn't at all loud in the room. In the morning, I walked down to the harbor and walked along the beach...a perfect way to ring out a difficult year and ring in 2012. I was on the third floor, and was disappointed that the windows were so small and high off the ground (and no balcony), but my pool view room also looked out over the ocean, which was unexpected and nice. The beds/linens are very comfortable, and I even took a hot bubble bath (the safety drain in the tub is set low down, so it was hard to keep enough warm water in the tub to avoid a chill, but I just kept filling it up). Valet parking is $30/night, which is expensive; I would have appreciated a self-park option. I was only in the hotel one night, but it met all my expectations.

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the 1st or 2nd floor have balconies; the 3rd floor rooms have only small window...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Happy New Year! Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. We are delighted that we met your all of your expectations. It sounds like you had a wonderful start to your New Year. We are very happy that you were able to take a stroll along the harbor and beach. The weather was quite spectacular and having a resort so close to the beach allows our guests to take a nice walk and soak in the sun.
We appreciate your feedback regarding our parking fees and will certainly take your comments under review. In recent parking surveys we’ve conducted with our fellow resorts located on the coastline, we have found our parking rates to be in line and are actually the most economical. We hope to see you again in the new year.
Santa Cruz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We spent one night; Christmas Eve, here, and we really enjoyed it. My husband and I walked around the streets of Dana Point and then enjoyed the sunset in the coctail lounge. We appreciated the layout of the hotel, and we LOVED the fact that our room had french doors that OPENED on to a little balcony with an ocean view of the harbor. I will always stay at hotels where I can open the windows and get fresh air!

The next morning, our room rate included the breakfast buffet for my husband and I, and our daughter and grandkids joined us for a delicious, beautiful buffet. The grandkid who is 3 years old ate for free. The buffet had everything including omelets and all kinds of beautiful fresh fruit. All of the restaurant staff was really accomodating and friendly.

We ran out of time, but next time we'll take the grandkids down to the very pretty public park and playground that are at the base of the hotel.

We will definitely stay here again, and I recommend it to any travelers in the southern Orange County area.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Booked 3 rooms at this hotel for us an visiting family. For starters, the restaurant is only open on the weekends. Fine, we'll eat in the lounge. At 2am, the fire alarm went off, repeatedly, for over a half hour. The staff, untrained in how to operate the Alarm PA system, tried several times to tell us that it was a false alarm, only to be cut off by the system. It went off again at 7:30am for another 15 minutes. Needless to say we didn't get much sleep.

One of the 3 rooms had a broken heater, causing my sister to keep the balcony door open all night.

At checkout, we were told they were not compensating anyone for the alarms, that all equipment was "working exactly as it should," even though it went off twice at 5 hour intervals. No compensation -- not even a snack -- since the restaurant was closed. And not so much as an apology. The Manager asked me if i wanted to fill out a form (as the man next to me was filling one out). No matter, we have tripadvisor and facebook....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!