“Perfect location and service!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Inspiration of the Season
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Perfect location and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Beautiful hotel with outstanding service. You can't beat the view of the ocean from the fitness center - it makes the workout go fast. Be sure to catch the sunset and take advantage of the beach butler service. My only complaint is that it's a great place for families, but the dining options for kids are very limited. The lobby was full of families (including mine) eating on couches outside the bar area where kids aren't allowed. The market has limited options and is overpriced even for a high-end hotel. But overall one of the best hotels I've stayed at in Southern California.

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth the extra cost!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
We gratly appreciate your feedback and we always want our younger guests to enjoy their experience with us too. We are delighted you enjoyed your overall stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Polish first
los angeles, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed at this property a few years ago and were very happy there. This time around it did not live up to our expectations. It was a couple's weekend getaway to celebrate our wedding anniversary, longing for peace and quiet away from kids. Unfortunately on our first night there we were placed in a (stunning view) room between two groups of partying young adults who were staying at the hotel for a wedding. So the stunning view room turned into a nightmare of a night with drunk people laughing and partying until 4:30 am despite our repeated calls to security AND me sticking my head out into the hallway (yes, they made their way there at some point and decided to discuss current world issues at 2 am) telling them to shut up. Needless to say the first night we got NO sleep. So much for finally sleeping in in peace without kids jumping on your bed at 7 am on a Saturday.

So...half asleep and red eyed we made our way down to a manager and told him everything we thought about the hotel--from the thickness (thinness?) of the walls to young adults who grew up with no respect for others to hotel's inability to solve the problem on the spot. I must say that Jonathan the Manager was incredible--nice, understanding (as they knew hotel had 2 weddings that night) and comped the room for that night which is the least you can do since the whole point of the room is to SLEEP and that did not occur that night. They moved us (we paid for it in advance) to a Club Level room by mid afternoon and to my dismay I found that (SURPRISE!) the walls were just as thin as the other one as we could hear a couple next door talking for hours as if they were sitting on our balcony. Luckily we were at a concert that night and returned really late and to my content all the neighbors were asleep. Thank GOD. Finally a good night sleep!

The point of the story: if you do NOT care who you hear through the walls or who hears YOU, the hotel is for you. The service is IMPECCABLE everywhere we went (except security). Views are breathtaking (although NOT from coastal view rooms--I would much rather have the ocean view as coastal view can mean half coast/half parking lot). Restaurants and food are great. Pool is OK, nothing to write home about--small for the hotel that size and in need of updating. Will we go back? No, because mu husband and I value our privacy and for the price you pay there is no reason you should settle. We have stayed at Pelican Hill for years in their villas and bungalows, and by far their rooms and pool areas are far superior. And we always got a good night sleep there! And sometime that is all that matters when you have two nights to yourselves without the kids ;)

Room Tip: choosing between ocean view and coastal view makes a difference as coastal view means you can have a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
We value your feedback and can't thank you enough for sharing your experience. Our highest mission is for our guests to always enjoy a warm, relaxed, yet refined ambiance. It is always disheartening to hear that our guests have not fully enjoyed their stay with us. We would enjoy the opportunity to discuss your experience futher. Please contact our Executive Office directly. Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Ritz Laguna Niguel is a fantastic property. Even before arrival, I had email communications from the concierge and manager to make sure if I needed anything for my stay. I mentioned that it was for my step-daughter's 16th birthday, Samantha P. was in charge of this pleasant surprise for her. The smile and look on her face was priceless. Thank you so much. We stayed at the club level and the ladies who worked there were very courteous and professional. I do realize that there is many repeat guests. From valet, front desk to bell man, everyone was very kind and professional. The yoga and pilates instructor Cynthia was also very good and friendly. She makes you feel welcomed and at ease. The emails after checking out to inquire about improvements were very good follow up tools. I really appreciated the stay there! Wonderful!

Room Tip: Ocean view on Club lounge
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
We enjoyed creating a wonderful memory for you and your family. Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel for your special occasion. On behalf of Samantha, Cynthia, and all our ladies and gentlemen, we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I was here 5 days during a business trip, and would come back again for a vacation. The property is absolutely beautiful. The hotel sits on a cliff above a cove, between two points that just out into the ocean and create a very private "frame." As crowded as Southern California can be, it feels isolated and quiet. There are several lawns, terraces, and an outdoors bar that overlook the Pacific. On one side of the hotel there is a large public park leading to the beach, and on the other is a heavily landscaped hill. So it's very private, although you can easily see the expensive private beachside homes up and down the coast. If you don't want to feel isolated, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, and even Newport Beach are short drives and have plenty to do. Each of these towns has beaucoup money. Besides being expensive they can be a bit like visiting Disneyland, with their main streets carefully designed to feel charming. They feel a little artificial to me, and you'll find most of the locals have that Hollywood-like "I'm so much more important than you" attitude. Maybe that's you, maybe not. I got tired of it.

But there's nothing artificial about the nature around you. The views are fantastic. The beach is a short walk down the cliff and a long walk back up. It's steep, but the Ritz runs golf carts up and down to shuttle you if needed. There is a jogging trail/sidewalk that runs for miles along the top of the ridge. There are surfers in the ocean from sunrise to sunset, and two different nights there were small outrigger boats crossing the cove. I was there out of season, but apparently whales stop by the cove during their migration. And of course the sunsets... so there's always something to see.

While at the hotel, the buildings, grounds, restaurants and service are all what you would expect of the Ritz. Rooms that don't face the ocean (which means 90% of them) overlook the pools and grounds, but are still attractive. If you aren't facing the ocean, ask for an interior room, since they overlook the courtyards with swimming pools and lawns. It seemed like most rooms have a small balcony.

My only complaint would be that the hotel is surprisingly big, and is laid out in a "U" shape. That means it can be a long, long walk from the lobby to the furthest rooms. To get to my room from the front door, I had to walk from the entrance by the parking lot into the hotel lobby (where you check in) then walk all the way to the back of the hotel by the restaurants (the ocean side part of the "U"), turn and go down a hallway to get my elevator, go up to my floor then walk through another lobby, two long hallways of rooms, ANOTHER lobby, and down a long hallway. By the time I got to my room, I was almost back to the parking lot where I started. There are several stairwells in between, but they are small and I didn't want to wrestle my suitcases up and down them.

I've been fortunate enough to stay in some outstanding hotels as part of my business travels, and this has been one of my favorites.

Room Tip: Oceanside if you can afford it, but a room facing the interior pools/lawns if not.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Whether you join us on business or pleasure, our ladies and gentlemen take great pride in providing a level of personal yet relaxed service that is sure create memories for a lifetime. Of course our magnificent surrounding definitely play a role as well. We enjoyed having you and we look forward to your return. Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Perfect place to hold a party. The service will exceed all of your expectations! We've been coming here for the past few years and each and every visit has been stellar. Close to shopping and town, yet secluded enough to do absolutely nothing but lounge all day long. The staff are wonderful and the amenities are great. We were able together one free night which was really nice!

Dana Vigilante
Nutley, NJ

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
We can't thank you enough for your loyalty! We are delighted that you once again fully enjoyed your experience with us. Our highest mission is to always provide you and your guests with unique and personal memories. We look forward to your next visit!
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

The Ritz-Carlton is set on a hillside overlooking the water. The views are as beautiful as the hotel. The staff couldn't do enough to help you out. The location is convenient to the beach and near by towns. There is nothing not to like about this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us....at your "home away from home". We loop forward to creating many more unique memories for you soon. Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel.
Nashua, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I had the pleasure of holding a C-level conference at this property and it met all my expectations and then some. I had tried 3 times to get out for a site visit but due to snow storms back east, my flights were cancelled each time. So I was going into the event with sort of a blind eye having not physically been to the venue prior to my event. It didn't matter. The venue was amazing, the service level was top notch and the attendees for our conference could not stop telling me how much they loved the event and venue. I am very fortunate to stay at the hotels I've gotten to stay at around the world, both personally and professionally - this was one of the best. My husband joined me for part of the trip and he even said that everyone must stay at a Ritz Carlton at least once in their life. Thank you for an fabulous event! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
We are delighted you enjoyed your experience with us. We pledge to always provide the finest personal service and facilities for all of our guests whether they are joining us on business, pleasure or both. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!