“Favourite hotel of our trip but check your bill!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Celebrate Our 30 Years!
Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Dana Point
“Favourite hotel of our trip but check your bill!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights with our two teenagers and 9 year old son. The reception area was beautiful with wonderful flower arrangements. Check-in was fine and we were met by the customer relations manager and someone showed us to our room. We went for our lunch at 180Blu which has spectacular views of the pacific. Lunch was excellent. Our rooms were lovely and we had wonderful views. We had dinner at the hotel's restaurant and had a wonderful meal with ingredients and flavour combinations we had never tried before. Fantastic service. The pool area was a little old fashioned I thought, with rows of sunbeds facing a rather boring pool. However, it was a very relaxing place to be and the waiters made sure we had everything we wanted. Special mention for Zack by the pool - a real Californian guy who was really friendly and made us smile :) We had a couple of meals at the poolside bar and enjoyed everything. We went down to the beach and the young men at the beach hut put out chairs and parasols and towels for us. One night we had wonderful freshly prepared sushi at 180Blu and were given blankets to put over us because it was a bit windy. We had a live musician and watched the sun go down, it was wonderful. We then watched a film out by the pool area, free popcorn and drinks under the palm trees, it was a lovely and memorable experience. We had room service to watch the opening of the Olympics and that was also excellent. We had breakfast a couple of times in the restaurant and found it to be very good. We tried buying it from the cafe once and the selection was a bit limited. There were a lot of conferences going on there, it was quite busy but didn't get in the way of our enjoyment. My daughter and husband used the gym. There cannot be many places in the world with a gym in a nicer position, overlooking the Pacific Ocean. My husband and son played tennis and table tennis and had the place to themselves. We saw a wedding take place on the lawn under our window one evening as the sun went down. The sunsets here are incredible.
Everything was clean and efficient and very relaxing.
The only negative of our trip was that we had over $500 of charges on our bill that did not belong to us. Reception accepted the mistakes immediately but it did leave us feeling a bit shocked. Ive never seen that happen before. Check your bills!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We greatly appreciate the feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon so we may provide you with a memorable experience. We promise not to let you down. Our ladies and gentlemen are eager to serve you. Thanks again.

891 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Polish first
US
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Just left the Laguna Niguel after an 8night stay and have stayed here on two other occasions along with the next door Montage. In addition, have stayed at many Ritz Carlton hotels around the world but this current trip was an uneven and disappointing combined business and vacation experience with my husband as a travel companion. Definitely the worst 5-star hotel experience I have ever had.
1. Our highlight was the first night arriving among the amazing flower arrangements at the registration desk and heading off to 180 Blu with terrific and attentive service and lovely food and wine with an unmatched view. Love sitting on that beautiful open aired space overlooking the ocean vista. Sadly the trip only seemed to spiral downward after the first day - we tried to replicate the 180Blu meal two nights later and had a very poor experience with wrong orders, delayed meals (our two entrees came at different times varying by 10minutes with one entree either cold or eaten with out the pleasure of a 'couples' meal.
2. ROOM "UPGRADE" disaster....We 'upgraded' to a room for a full ocean view the second day as a special treat which was a big mistake. Our sinks backed up with fecal material rising out of the sinks. We would also have frequent days with lawn furniture piled outside of our room obscuring the view. There was ceaseless barking from the next door neighbors dogs. If you are offered room 1004 please refuse it as we could not get these things changed during our stay and were stuck in this horrible room for our stay. Adding insult to injury was the separate charge of the 'upgrade' that was placed as a single charge instead of an upcharge of the daily rate - this will make it impossible to submit as a business expense and I will have the pleasure of paying out of pocket for the charge. When I tried to work with the business office - I received a 'nothing could be done'
3. SERVICE. The room service, porters and valets were great. The front desk personnel and room service phone personnel were horrible. When my brother and his family joined us during the second half of our stay with a second room we were greeted at the front desk by personnel who let me explain the second room booking under the same name and then rudely told me to step back from the desk since she was helping a customer who had left to go to the bathroom and she was currently unavailable. We stood in front of the empty registration desk for over 5 minutes while the 'bathroom customer' held her place. When she returned the 'bathroom customer' loudly finished a long conversation on the phone about a family members ear infection while we all stood and listened still hoping to eventually be acknowledged as a customer. Very sad second class treatment. About 10minutes later a second registration clerk finally arrived and handed us our keys and didn't even offer help with our bags to the room or even directions to the room. Very bizarre. Sadly, when leaving the resort and being asked 'how was my stay'. I offered that it was disappointing and was only told 'well, that is unfortunate' without any interest in understanding the problems. I would encourage management to work with front desk personnel since they didn't seem to enjoy being in a 'service' industry.
3. AMENITIES: During my trip to the spa I was treated to workman pounding on a broken massage chair next to mine so had the pleasure of workmen talking, laughing, hammering and using various other tools next to my 'relaxing' manicure/pedicure.

Certainly will plan to try an alternative Laguna Niguel location next time since I would not want to spend money and take home this sad experience. Had been looking forward to this venue and our prior visits were much better as reflected in others posting. We had looked forward to this get-away for months so especially sad heading home with this overall C- vacation experience. I think with a little more acknowledgement from management and front desk personnel to help improve our stay we would have been fine but sadly it wasn't meant to be.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Your feedback is critical and we greatly appreciate all of it. We will use it strategically and promptly.
Could you please phone our executive team at (949) 240-2000 at your earliest convenience so we may ensure that we come to a satisfactory resolution with you? Thank you in advance for your time. We look forward to regaining your faith in us.
Newburgh, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We just completed a week-long stay at this hotel. It's scenery is world class. Unfortunately its service is not. I am a member of Ritz Carlton rewards and have stayed at 17 different Ritz Carlton hotels. This is the worst one I have been to.

1. The walls are paper thin. This reminds me of a Hampton Inn.

2. It caters to the masses. It is a large hotel and caters to meetings and weddings. I understand this pays the bills, but it is not helpful to an out of town guest who is personally paying for their own vacation.

If you cater to the masses, you become a Marriott.

The valet situation at this hotel is out of control. They need more help. There are too many locals/non-registered guests visiting the hotel to cater to the hotel guests.

Finally, for the first time ever, I was never shown my room by a hotel employee. I was simply pointed in the direction. We stay on the concierge levels and typically have personalized check-in. This didn't happen. Nor did any type of property explanation.

Wonderful setting. Marriott service, thin walls, loud throughout the night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We greatly appreciate your feedback and constructive criticism, thank you. It has been taken to heart and will be used appropriately and promptly. We would be very interested in speaking with you further and personally, and hope you have a moment to contact our executive team at (949) 240-2000. You are valuable to us and we want to make it right for you.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We were prepared to be amazed! We've stayed at other RC's and remembered being very pleased and have heard nothing but amazing reviews of this one.

Our 1st impression was "how are we supposed to fit 5 people in this room!?" followed quickly by "really? This is our view? We're Platinum members and we get 1st floor and no view despite making reservation nearly a year in advance and requesting an upgraded room numerous times!?"
The staff was nice enough, no issues there, but there was no legendary service going on.
In fact, I had to call twice for towels by the pool. 3 days in a row we arrived to the smaller pool to find ZERO towels and piles of soiled towels on lounge chairs. So if we wanted to dry off we couldn't nor could we find a place to sit unless we were willing to scoop up everyone's old towels. It was very cold in the shade dripping wet with our room a pretty good hike away. The snack hut thing was never open either. In July?
The ant problem was a little more than irritating as well. My daughter leaned back for about 3 seconds against the wall leading to beach to snap a photo and when she turned around her back was covered in ants! Yikes! Also may want housekeeping to make sure phones in room work, our's didn't = inconvenient.

We inquired every day about an upgraded room, as we desperately needed more space. The best they eventually could do was a room w/ a better view. No help there w/ space.
We moved to the room and I unpacked my things in the bathroom and found the drinking glass to be pretty gross. There was literally something thick running from the rim down the side and dried. I passed housekeeping in the hall and handed to a guy who seemed to be a housekeeping supervisor. Told him we just moved to the room and I found this at my sink. He just stared at me taking it . . . okkkkkkkkk {?} How about "I'm so sorry Mrs. X, let me get you another one right away." or something? Anything?!
We also noticed that it felt more like a big Vegas-y hotel. TONS of events to work around, almost too crowded. Well, obviously crowded considering they couldn't upgrade us.
Note: don't ask for rollaway bed, we could literally feel the coils in our's :(

Location is awesome, we LOVE Laguna! The Market was great, loved Nico :) Loved to get normal quick food in the morning without having to sit down to a big breakfast.
Loved 180 Blue but did experience pretty slow service there. Nice staff, lots of waiting. Beautiful views.
The lobby flowers are exquisite!!!

We stayed at St. Regis Monarch Beach last time and if I had to choose between the 2, I'd choose St. Regis. It isn't beachfront, but by the time I walk all the way down the long drive to the beach, the St. Regis golf cart would have be delivered to the beach. It's also not such a bustling "big" hotel.

Our experience was average. Nothing spectacular, nothing horrendous. Just seemed to be enough issues to even out the things we thought were really good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your detailed review and photos of our property. We enjoyed having you as our guest. With so many experiences waiting for you, we would be delighted to invite you back to enjoy the resort and memories at a time when our occupancy is lower than during the summer months. We are most certain you would enjoy yourself. Please feel free to contact our office at (949) 240-2000 so we can ensure your next Ritz-Carlton experience is a true Ritz-Carlton experience.
Virginia Beach, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My wife and I first visited the Ritz Carlton in July 2008 for a retirement party for my predecessor. When asked where I would like to have my retirement party (I live in Virginia), I immediately selected the Ritz. This time, in addition to my wife, my two adult daughters accompanied me. My wife and I had an oceanside room and my daughters had ocean views. While the rooms could have been larger, they were nonetheless, very nice. The staff were all excellent, very knowledgeable, efficient, and friendly. The public areas are exquisite, particularly the flower arrangements and the landscaping.Three things keep the Ritz from being perfect, however -- the large flat screen TVs only receive analog chanels--no digitals. This was a huge disappointment since, having gotten use to HDTV at home, the analog signals appeared fuzzy - like watching BW tv after the advent of color. Second, the lack of an in-room coffee maker was disappointing. The nice balcony overlooking the pacific begged for an early morning cup of coffee. It just wasn't worth it to order $18 (plus gratuity and tax) room service when all I wanted was a hot cup of coffee. We were also disappointed that the pair of shoes that my wife left in the closet were not turned in my the staff cleaning the room.

Room Tip: Ocean side is worth the extra $$$
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for the photos....we love seeing them! You will be glad to know we are replacing all of our televisions very soon. We are excited to share them and all of our upcoming enhancements with you (perhaps during your next visit). We have noted your preference for a coffee maker in your room and will make sure we have that for you the next time you stay with us. If you could give us a call at 949 240 2000, we would be more than happy to replace the shoes that were lost. Thank you for your feedback.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Delivered in all aspects, staff are all friendly, knowledgeable and well trained.
From our welcome at the Valet parking to departure all were spot-on. The boys and girls at the beach could not have been better, they assist to set you up with chairs/towels/water/boogie boards/flippers and brolly.
The views are superb, location is prime site and from hotel poolside to surf is a 2 minute stroll-perfect!

Is it expensive? of course it is but value and price are not the same thing and in my opinion you get good value all round.
Recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Congratulations on your ten-night stay! That is fantastic and we thank you. We look forward to your next ten-night visit. We will have so much fun creating more unique experiences and memories for you. Welcome home.
Lockport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

Is that wrong? It is one of the most spectacular settings in the world. Last night we hung out for hours just appreciating the ocean view and the sunset (okay while having a nice California Chardonnay). Really, I am never leaving. The rooms are beautifully appointed and the beds are oh so comfortable. You have to push yourself to go out but the pool beckons. And of course an early morning walk on the beach. And then there is the ever present Ritz elegance. The staff is always greeting you and smiling and beauty is everywhere. Why can't my real life be like this? It is settled, I am never leaving.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
We don't want you to leave and you are welcome to stay as long as you like! We are delighted that you are enjoying our true Southern California beach experience in luxury style. That is what we pledge to provide each of our guests every day. Come back soon so we can create more wonderful, relaxing memories for you.

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!