“Solid Good” 3 of 5 stars

Sacramento, CA
“Solid Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Location: 4.5 - Staff/Service: 3.5 - Amenities: 3
I love the location of this hotel - close to the 5 freeway and 2 blocks from a beautiful state beach. The hotel itself is nice enough - lobby is beautiful. Parking was $10/day and space was very limited. Breakfast area gets crowded quickly and food is really generic...but the kids were happy, plus McDonald's is across the street and Denny's is next door. Lots of dining options in walking distance up the street. My balcony had a partial view of ocean; I loved that they put a little furniture out there to sit and enjoy, but it's right on PCH and you hear more of the traffic than the waves. The beds were nice sized, reasonably comfortable, and I heard no complaints from my kids about the sofabed. The kids enjoyed the pool, I was sad there was no jacuzzi, but there were jacuzzi jets in the bathtub. For business travelers: the computers are out in the open in the lobby and print to behind the desk, but rooms have free WiFi.

My colleague stayed at the Doubletree down the street; there are plusses and minuses to both. Rooms looked comparable, the lobby is more attractive and spacious with more seating, they charge extra for an ocean view, make you valet park for $$$, their pool is small and right in front of the hotel, and they are doing noisy construction/repairs (at least the week of 3/25), but the breakfast there is much better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Peter C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Shores Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
While our goal is to always be a "solid great" it was still nice that you noticed the little touches we add to make our guests' stays nicer - like the furniture out on the balconies and the jetted tubs in the guest rooms. We appreciate the constructive suggestions too as we are always looking for ways to improve our product and services.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
St. Louis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We received this booking through Hotwire as a hotel chosen for us in our category (3 star). The hotel was recently renovated and the rooms are comfortable and fairly quiet, despite our room fronting Pacific Coast Highway. The beds are WONDERFUL, by the way.

When we checked in, the front desk clerk told us that we should have called the hotel to book adn we would have received a better rate. WHAT? I don't know if he was punishing us :), but we found out that night that our A/C didn't work at all. I called the desk and was told that maintenance had gone home. So, we had a less-than-restful night's sleep in a stuffy room with a window we couldn't leave open, due to easy access from the outside. Had it not been for the poor maintenance on a recent renovation leaving us with a stuffy room, I would have given this hotel a "4" rating.

The complementary breakfast was about the best I've had in a hotel with a free breakfast. Eggs seemed to be made from eggs, rather than reconstituted; there's a pancake machine; the bacon was good as well.

The location is adjacent to the harbor, but behind a small hill -- so it's not terribly convenient to the harbor, but close. There's also a Jack in the Box, Del Taco, adn McDonalds directly across the street for a quick bite.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Please accept my apologies for the confusion when you checked in. It's not our habit to steer people away from the online booking sites. They save guests a lot of shopping around for rates, but for detailed information on a particular hotel, it's always a good idea to check with the hotel directly, just to make sure of the accommodations.

I was also very sorry to hear about your troubles with the a/c. We should have at least offered to move you to another room if maintenance was gone for the night. Most of the units here are less than three years old and we service them routinely, so I can at least assure you that this is not a regular occurrence.

I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay and hope you will be back for a visit that's 100% perfect!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was wandering around California in search of adventure, weirdness, employment, the meaning of life, and a new surf board. Infinity Surf is right up the street from this Best Western, so I decided to stay here.

Called as I was driving around, found the room rate of $112 for the night to be spot on, and they had a vacancy. I was a happy camper.

Checked in without hassle. Parking is a little tight, so if you drive something bigger than my FJ, you might be SOL for parking here. However, my little red beach wagon fit right into one of the spots by the door, so I was able to unload my new board and my bag without hassle.

Got up to my room, very happy with what it was. Great jacuzzi tub in this place, so if you're sore after a day of driving like was, you can just jump right in and soak your woes away.

Room was clean, beds were clean, TV was big and well set up. Ordered a pizza, watched some pointless drivel on the TV, and was happily off to dream land. Best of all it had two queen beds in the room, so my new board had a bed of its very own.

If I ever end up in Dana Point again, I will absolutely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Stay on the non-road side if you're sensitive to noise!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Peter C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Shores Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thank you for the great review and we're happy that we made you and your new surfboard so comfortable. Hang loose!
San Marcos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel uses to be a Holiday Inn Express and is now a Best Western PLUS.
It is a very Nice & Clean hotel and we enjoyed a King Suite with Balcony facing the ocean.
Beautiful view! The only issue I had with this hotel was their Breakfast. I hated the fact that they used such cheap plastic eating utensils. It very much dismisses the fact that they are even offering you a breakfast.
Recommendations:
If you are going to eat Breakfast somewhere other than the hotel, then this would be a very nice place to stay.
If Breakfast at a hotel is important to you, find another hotel because this breakfast is very disappointing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm very glad you enjoyed the accommodations here at the Marina Shores hotel and please accept my apologies for the plasticware in the breakfast room. We had actually upgraded it about two months ago and then had an order that was late so we had to bring out the old stock we had leftover. It just goes to show how important items like these are to our guests. We now have the new utensils back in place, so please don't feel you need to stay or eat elsewhere the next time you're in Dana Point.
Baker City, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We truly enjoyed our three restful nights at this hotel. We were just coming off of a five day Disneyland adventure and we were able to recharge and enjoy Dana Point from this very centralized location. Here, you are just around the corner from Doeheny Beach and the marina. The kids had a great time beachcombing and surfing (rental shop right there). The free breakfast is typical for a nice hotel and the pancake machine looked like fun. (Wish they offered sugar-free syrup and I may have tried them). The view from our patio was awesome...could see the ocean peeking from behind giant palm trees. Even though we were on the Pacific Coast Highway, the noise was not noticeable from our room at all. Housekeeping did a fantastic job and the beds were awesome. We even enjoyed the warm pool when it was only 60 degrees out...we just had to hurry back to our room when we got out of the water. The value at this hotel is great and I would definitely stay here again...and hope to soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the great comments and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay - not only with us, but in beautiful Dana Point. We will certainly look into the possibility of a sugar free syrup for our pancakes at breakfast. Great Idea!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was our second time staying here. When we arrived this time we had a slight hiccup with our reservation but Lizzette came through and totally made our nights! Beautiful, clean, spacious rooms! You can see the ocean from most rooms and you can't beat the location! We will be staying here again!

• Stayed February 2013
Peter C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Shores Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay and even happier that you intend to become a regular. Our family will never be TOO big!

I'll make sure to pass on your praises to Lizette. We believe that the people who work here are just as important as a comfortable bed and a clean room. It's all part of the same guest experience and it sounds like we hit a home run for you.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Shores Hotel? Share your experiences!