“Close to the beach, good breakfast, comfortable accommodations” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #3 of 9 hotels in Dana Point
Tucson, Arizona
“Close to the beach, good breakfast, comfortable accommodations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here 3 nights for our son's wedding. The recent remodel on the hotel was done tastefully - granite tops in the bathrooms, flat screen TV's in the rooms, tile in the corridors, and new paint and carpet throughout.
The beds were good and the window HVAC unit was adequate, but appeared to raise the humidity in the room.
The staff was pleasant. The breakfast was hot with eggs, pancakes, muffins, cereal, and sausage or bacon.
The pool was small with 2 lounge chairs, a table, and 4 chairs-but the beach is a short walk away. Parking was tight under the Hotel and once the spots were filled causing us to double park for the night.
There are several fast food places across the street and restaurants just up the street.
We were happy with the Hotel and would stay here again when visiting Dana Point or Laguna.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Peter C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Shores Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
We're glad you enjoyed your stay at the Marina Shores Hotel and would like to pass along our contgratulations to your son and his bride. We hope their wedding was a huge success and we wish them a lifetime of happiness ... and of course, we're glad that we were able to play even a small part in building the memories.

159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Lake Forest, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We recently booked our wedding party at the Best Western Plus Marina Shores. Approx. 12 rooms in total. Overall, the remodel at the hotel was done pretty well. As a previous review pointed out, it is silly that there is no central air conditioning in the rooms (only a wall unit). Normally, I am guessing this is not a problem by the beach but this week it happened to be 90 degrees out. The rooms were clean and nicely appointed. I would say very comfortable for a property in this 3 star range. My biggest complaint is the staff. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for all the problems with booking our wedding party here since they were transferring ownership. Nonetheless, the front desk staff had no personality, was generally rude, and had very little knowledge of the property. One did not even know what the pool hours were at the hotel. The worst part of the customer service was checking out. They had a completely different name and address on my booking, though it was billed to my credit card. When I asked them to change it they said they were not able. So, I was handed a receipt with a complete strangers full name and address on it. I'm sure that if that guest knew about me getting their personal info they would be furious. When all was said and done, the hotel served its purpose well. Rooms were clean and nice, and for a reasonable rate we had ocean views. Just don't expect a lot out of the bland staff.

Room Tip: The standard rooms actually seem to be bigger than the suites. They also have a larger bath area...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Peter C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Shores Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for the comments on your stay at the Best Western Plus Marina Shores Hotel and I sincerely apologize for the less than stellar service you received from our front desk staff. This is definitely not the type of service we aspire to. If you have the time and would like to contact me directly at the hotel, I can get more information and go back to the clerks involved and impart some extra training. We have several new faces on our staff, so it is very helpful to know where we are lacking. Our goal is to be the best hotel value in Dana Point, but value is not just limited to the accommodations; it's the service you receive as well.

New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel for a wedding we attended in the area. We originally booked with this hotel when they were a Holiday Inn Express and then our reservations were changed over when they switched companies. Originally, we were happy that the switch occurred because we often prefer Best Western, but this wasn't what I expected from a Best Western.

To start with the good, it is a decent, clean hotel in a convenient location. Yes, you're right on PCH, but we really had no noise that we could complain about. Check in was easy enough, there's always ice water in the lobby and the rooms were clean. The beds were comfortable. The free breakfast was tasty and had good variety (oatmeal, boiled eggs, breads and pastries, a pancake machine, juices, coffee, fruit, yogurt). It was close to the beach and restaurants. So overall, it was a decent hotel and a good place to spend a few nights. Not luxury, but not yucky either.

The not so good? We had a "suite" which was basically two rooms (no doors) with the bathroom in between. The back room in the only one with air conditioning!! So no matter how high we cranked the A/C, the front room never cooled off enough. There was a fan that I suppose was there to help pull the air to the front room, but it was not enough to do so. It was really not comfortable in that room at night. That alone is upsetting because to pay more for a suite, and then have it be uncomfortable, kind of defeated the purpose. My son wound up sleeping in our back room (so there were five of us in one room, and none in the other!) and we could have just gotten a regular room. I also was not a fan that most of the room are entered from a long outdoor hallway. It just felt very motel-ish to me. It wasn't a deal-breaker but it didn't help it feel very hotel-ish.

Another not so good thing was that even though we had called the Best Western FOUR times prior to arrival in California, to confirm the details and rates of the rooms (we were supposed to have a special wedding rate)....it was still all incorrect at check in. They never cancelled one room that we had asked them to cancel. And they still had the incorrect room rates, even though we had called a few times to be sure they had it right so there'd be no hassle at check in. On top of that, during 3 of our phone calls, they kept insisting that I had gotten the rooms through a "third party" site like travelocity or expedia etc, even though I had made the reservations directly through HIE's website. They originally told us that we could not get the wedding rate because of that, and then finally said it was fine. We called back 2x to confirm the rates, got there, and they were still wrong. To me, those mix ups are just poor management. And to be treated like I had done something wrong, when I hadn't, didn't exactly make me feel very good going into the stay.

But to be honest, the reason I can't give this review a 3 or maaaybe even a 4 star rating was what happened at the end of our stay. I have a Holiday Inn Express Priority Membership AND I have a Best Western Rewards Program Membership. When I was checking everything out the night before we left so we could leave early in the morning, I spoke to the front desk to ask that they please put the rooms we had on my BW Rewards account. They refused. They said that because it was booked through HIE originally, they would not do that. So I paid for THREE rooms (almost $1500!), and stayed for THREE nights in each room and they won't credit me for any of it? I paid BEST WESTERN the money, not HIE, so why wouldn't I get the points through Best Western? I didn't even argue about it because to be honest, I won't be staying with Best Western again. This is such poor customer service that it just doesn't warrant another stay when there are so many places to choose from. I understand that switching over hotels is a large undertaking, but between the errors prior to arrival, at arrival and then not giving us the points for rooms we stayed in and PAID for.....they lost my business.

But if you're looking for a decent hotel, and will risk the chances of mix-ups or issues, then it's not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. Please contact me directly at the hotel and I will see what I can do about the Rewards points for you. As we are brand new to the Best Western family, the clerk who assisted you may not have known what options (if any) were available, but I promise to make some calls and do everything I can to get the Reward points you want.

Sedona, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Excellent staff, very friendly and accommodating. Room was clean and comfortable. Great parking and nice amenities. Good location. Stayed and then extended! Very reasonably priced. Close to the beach. Complimentary breakfast and more than just continental.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for the comments about your stay at the Best Western Plus Marina Shores Hotel. With our recent renovations, we are trying to establish ourselves as the best hotel value in the Dana Point Beach area and from what you've expressed, it sounds like we're headed in the right direction. Hope to see you back.

Tustin, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Spent only a few days here but enjoyed my stay. The property is small but very clean and nice. Located walking distance to the beach it's very convenient and is a great value for the area. There is covered, self parking with easy access.
Free breakfast available. It was pretty good and it was free!
Free internet available! Big plus!
The gym was a little disappointing but it was okay. There aren't any weights, just 2 treadmills and a bike.
The pool is about medium size, located on the 2nd floor. It's not very big but it has charm and still fun.
My room was average. The room included 2 full size beds, mini bar, reading couch, external a/c unit, small un-enclosed closet, and small bathroom with tub.
Cleanliness was the main theme here at the Holiday Inn Express. Everything was spotless throughout the hotel property.
Hotel staff is great and will help you with whatever you need.
Not the best hotel I've stayed at, but definitely ranks as one of the best in value. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Peter C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Shores Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for all the great comments and observations about the hotel. I need to point out that we are not a Holiday Inn Express anymore, we are the Best Western Plus Marina Shores Hotel. I promise to get the photos on TripAdvisor updated as soon as we get our permanent signs up and the professional photograhper up here.

I'm sorry that you found our fitness room less than expected. Space there is limited and, to keep it ADA compliant, we could only install a few multi-purpose machines. There IS a weight machine in the back corner, so perhaps you missed it when walking by.

Thank you again for your feedback and you are 100% correct, we are trying to establish ourself as the best value in the Dana Point beach area!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Shores Hotel? Share your experiences!