“Fabulous location; great hotel for the price” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Dana Point
Laguna Niguel, California
“Fabulous location; great hotel for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

This hotel is in Dana Point Harbor and backs up to the marina. The rooms are on the small side but are clean and comfortable. There is a refrigerator in the room and ice/vending machines are available. No restaurant but they do serve a continental breakfast every morning. The shopping and dining area of the marina is right next door to the hotel so you have plenty of options for food. The pool area is adjacent to the marina walkway so you see all the boats while you're swimming. Free parking and free WiFi. I found the staff to be friendly and attentive. The "clean filter" light on our AC unit was on. I told the desk and someone came to change the filter within 10 minutes. If you're expecting a 4 or 5 star resort you'll be disappointed. The hotel is older and basic. But, I saw an ad in the OC Register for $89 a night, parking lot view, Sunday thru Thursday. When we got there I asked nicely if there was a chance for a little free upgrade and we got one. That means 2 days, right on the water, for less than $200. Score!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Well, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the mixed reviews I had read, so I gave it a whirl for myself. I had to travel alone this trip, as my hubby got called away for business, so I was going to be even more sensitive to the accommodations. I was very satisfied with my decision. It's a great little hotel very conveniently located to shops, dining, killer stair workout, marina, and of course, my fav the beach. I walked each morning down to Doheny to check the surf and start the day. There's a great coffee and bagel shop to stop at, and everything is within walking distance. I had dinner with friends at Mahe, and had awesome sushi. I felt very safe, and the staff was very friendly, and helpful. I would definitely recommend this little gem.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I wrote a review about this charming Hotel and I had to drive an hour to see this Hotel for my self. Why you ask? Because the reviews were horrible & I wanted to view this Hotel first hand!!
Many Reviews comment. " This Hotel is Old" WELL Have you ever lived on the OCEAN? ( SALTY Ocean Water ) I have lived on the Ocean and the Salt from the Ocean makes things weather! The ocean is not exterior friendly!!! It takes year around maintenance to keep it looking NEW!!!!
This Hotel staff does the very best they can! The inside , pool area is NOT OLD LOOKING! Great GEM! Clean, great staff, great quite lobby & rooms! Perfect location and we plan on staying at this wonderful Hotel! Travis, Once Again! Thank you for showing my husband AndI your charming Hotel!! Love the water fountains!
My second review about this Hotel that is on the Ocean!
Thank you Travis!!
Wayne & Jeanette S

Stayed May 2014
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Dana Point Marina Inn to be close to the Catalina Express office.

The hotel was very economical and clean. The desk staff were friendly.

Our room was equipped with a king bed, which was very firm. We liked that. The fridge worked, but took some time to get to a reasonable temperature. Room size was large for 2 adults, and the shower had decent water pressure.

The small balcony overlooking the harbor was refreshing.

Breakfast consisted of packaged foods and coffee.

The workout room contained the usual machines and no free weights.

For the money, Dana Point Marina Inn is great! The harbor views are nice and our room was large and clean.

One can walk to a multitude of nice restaurants and the Catalina Express departure/arrival site.

For you runners, there is a gnarly flight of stairs going up a steep cliff just east of the hotel. For the recluse drinkers, there is a liquor store just east of hotel (walking/stumbling distance). They tend to close early, so stock-up early.

This is a cool hotel. I'd stay there again, for sure.

Dave

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

I booked in January to stay in may and had 30 rooms booked for our kids wedding. I was the one they treated with disregard. I requested a room close to my daughter the bride and a view. My room was at the opposite end of the hotel. I had knee surgery and kept asking daily to be closer. They told me no but upgraded 2 people in our huge party to suites close to my daughter. 1 they are rude and the hotel is old decor. The rugs smell bad and my room with a view was of the parking lot. I paid nearly a thousand dollars for two room booking 6 months in advance and got our entire wedding party and many family members to book here and was treated like crap. Waste of money..

• Stayed June 2014
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We were able to book several rooms here for our wedding guests and it was everything we hoped for. The honeymoon suite was exactly what we needed and the other suites had plenty of room for everyone to get ready and head to the wedding location. They also had regular rooms available for my friends who didn't want a suite and they loved those too. We scouted a lot of locations for our wedding in Dana Point and this spot had easy access to all of them and the restaurants. I walked right outside to the marina shops when I wanted to take a stroll which had Doheny State Beach just past them, so easy! Also Heritage park across the street gave us a great view of everything nearby. It's cozy and quite near there and we didn't have to deal with difficult beach access, noise from the PCH or the train, or really any disturbances at all. We saved SO much money compared to the other spots we looked at where we would have to put up with those things. Also the service was FAR better than the other locations we scouted where on top of costing more, it seemed like they really didn't like me or even want us there (Bst Wstrn By the Sea). Everything that had to do with Dana Point Marina Inn was nice and very easy. Thank You guys for your great service and making all of us feel so welcome.

Room Tip: The staff is so helpful that you should just call and tell them what your looking for and you will g...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

This hotel is in a perfect location for enjoying the Marina activities and the harbor area in general. It is close to parks, beaches, walking trails and wonderful views. Many of the rooms have been renovated and they are in the process of updating the rest. We stayed in an updated room - we did see non renovated rooms which are definitely dated, but still functional. The breakfast is very basic and can be crowded. Seating is inside and next to the pool area. We found the hotel quiet for sleeping and the room comfortable and functional. Our pool view room had a small balcony with seating as well as a kitchenette with microwave, fridge and bar sink. We walked everywhere and had a great visit. Staff was friendly and helpful, but the hairdryer worked only intermittently. Lack of a full service restaurant and bar is a downside, but it is so close to all the shops and restaurants on the boardwalk that is a small issue.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Dana Point Marina Inn? Share your experiences!