“Great For A Night” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Dana Point
Pt. Loma
“Great For A Night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Picked this place randomly, as we were going to a wedding nearby. Yeah, I checked out other places. One night. Ritz? Montage? When all we needed was a bed??? This place was PERFECT!!! The location is THE BEST!!! Right on the Marina. Restaurants, shops, so much activity...I loved that I could just walk out the door and be on the water. It's basic. The parking is convenient and free. We were totally satisfied.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Richmond, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Stayed there for one night in Jully. Asked for a non smoking room and was anything but! It smelled so bad! Front dest said there was nothing they could do as they did not have any more rooms. Were not told at check in there was a free breakfast but overheard someone else mention it. Went down in the morning and it was horrible! The hotel is old and the rooms very out dated. The staff very rude and really did not seem to care. We stayed in southern California for 14 nights in different hotels and this was by far the worst. I would not recommend this to anyone. Go somewhere else!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Palm Desert, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed off season mid week - great rates - funky style room with frig and mini kitchen was nice... Walk to any harbor activity or restaurant. Not the ritz but great find...

• Stayed February 2011
Tempe, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Our family had a nice time and the location was great. 2 adults and 2 boys ages 11 and 13. One boy slept on the floor in a sleeping bag since they would not provide a roll away bed. (fire safety). The room was nice and quite. We went to Salt Creek Beach and it was great. We would stay again. A hot tub near the pool would have been nice. They had a cont. breakfast which was okay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
San Clemente, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

This place is old, beat and it stinks! The walk to the room had me worried. There is no air-conditioning in the hall and there is NO air flow (it's July). The hallway smelled like chicken, the carpet looks 50 years old and it’s dark. My room smelled like an old lady's hair caught fire. The paint was peeling from the vanity. The Shower not only had two hairs in it, it was chipped and equally as old as the carpet. The walls were covered in smears and hand prints. There was a broken desk facing backwards in the closet. The air conditioner in the room is a window unit equivalent. It’s old, cheap and loud. The sad part is unless it’s running the room is stagnant and smelly even with the slider open which is impressive. The walls are really thin. The folks next to us were up chatting until the wee hours. I could hear them even above the old air conditioner. I hardly slept.

The continental breakfast is held in a small cramped room and offers few choices. The pool is small but it’s clean. The elevator is the slowest I have ever experienced. Not busy, just slow moving and dank.

The only redeeming thing about the hotel is the location. Dana Point Harbor is a wonderful place with many awesome restaurants. I assume that the Hotel feels no need to accommodate as the clientele will always come for the location. But I warn you. If you like a clean hotel where you don’t have to wear your shoes at all times in the room, stay elsewhere.

Sadly disappointed my husband and I had to “make due” instead of the romantic get a way we had hoped for. You need a sense of humor for this place.

Room Tip: FAce the Harbor!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
alphagal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

This hotel was in short walking distance to the California Wine Festival, which was the purpose of my visit. Went with my mom and aunt and had a great time! So many great restaurants nearby, staff was friendly and the location was ideal. Room was comfortable for the price and seemed well kept up enough other than the bathroom which could definitely use a renovation. My only complaint is that we were disturbed by a phone call from the front desk saying we were too noisy, and it was only 9pm! First of all, my mom was sound asleep so my aunt and I were keeping it down. The only thing I can think is that they called the wrong room, which is sad because it woke up my mom. Other than that, the stay was perfect. I will for sure be visiting again next year.

Room Tip: Come for the wine festival and come hungry so you enjoy all the great restaurants!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Stayed here for a wedding in Laguna Beach. The rooms are really basic, but other hotels in the area are very expensive, so this is an option if you are on a budget.
Pros: Nice location with marina views and plenty of shops and places to eat within easy walking distance. Very near a beach area with various types of boat rentals available. Free parking. Although basic, there was free breakfast, pretty standard - but a nice addition to get your day started. Sheets and towels smelt clean and fresh - cleaning staff was polite and attentive. Fridge in room, although we did not use it. Free internet, but it was spotty. Pool was heated.
Cons: Very basic room, dated furniture and very old TV's that do not work very well. Bathroom needs overhaul. Somewhat musty smell in rooms and in main elevator. Paper thin walls - we heard every word spoken by our neighbors on either side (and I guess they heard us!). Rowdy parties each night at the marina kept me awake. You can hear people walking around upstairs and the fridge was noisy at night. Front desk staff was aloof and unfriendly.
Recommendations: This is the most affordable option in the area, and you do get the advantage of the view of the marina and the convenience of the shopping/restaurants right there. Get a room on 3rd floor to make the most of the view and to minimize noise. If you are not expecting the Ritz (or even a Hampton Inn), you will not be too disappointed. If you can afford it and want something nicer, try the Marriott which was right across the street or the Blue Lantern Inn (right down the road). Or, stay at the Dana Point Marina Inn and use the money you save to have lunch at the Montage Resort in Laguna Beach!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Dana Point Marina Inn? Share your experiences!