“What a great experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 16 Activities in Dana Point
More attraction details
Owner description: Whale watch with Capt. Dave's Dolphin and Whale Watching Safari in Dana Point on our hi-tech sailing catamaran year round, with exclusive Eye-to-Eye Underwater Viewing PODS™. Daily trips to see dolphins, up to 10,000 strong, leap and play right off our bow, migrating Gray whales December through April and Blue Whales May through November. Go underwater with whales and dolphins without getting wet during your whale watch in our Eye to Eye Underwater Viewing Pods. Listen to dolphins during your whale watching safari with our underwater Hydrophone. Celebrity and certified naturalists make this exciting Dana Point whale watching excursion educational and entertaining too. Homemade triple-fudge brownies make this a one-of-a-kind dolphin and whale watching adventure unforgettable. You can see a live broadcast from our boat, the first and only place in the world where you can go dolphin and whale watching LIVE right from your computer during our daily dolphin and whale watching excursions!
Clive, Iowa
5 attraction reviews
“What a great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed Captain Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari in late February 2014. What a beautiful day and great experience! We saw many common dolphins, bottle nose dolphins (aka, for those of us old enough to remember the TV show, "Flipper") and 2 California gray whales. The dolphins were especially playful and loved getting close to the boat. We appreciated the knowledge, skillful ability and respect the crew showed for the animals and the uncrowded boat that allowed us to move around for great views. We have a beautiful photo to remember our day, which was very reasonably priced, and the brownies we received while departing were delicious. As Captain Dave said, "It really was a special day" and we couldn't agree more!

Visited February 2014

Lake Havasu City, Arizona
11 attraction reviews
“Awesome Tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

It was a beautiful day with little wind and plenty of sunshine. Within just a few minutes,we saw a gray whale just in front of our boat. Then crew member Dale spotted activity a distance away. When we got to the activity, we found ourselves in the midst of several hundred common dolphins! They seemed to want to play, and we had lots of time to admire them. Camera shutters were busy for at least 20 minutes. We all got to go down into the pontoon to watch the dolphins through the underwater windows. Next, we circled a buoy covered with sea lions, who were not bothered at all by us. On the way back to the dock, we were treated to Western White-Sided dolphins that kept pace with us for awhile. Very friendly crew, nice catamaran. An exceptional tour!

Visited February 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Most Amazing Experience!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

What can I say??? My husband and I were utterly stunned when we went on our safari. It was amazing!!! We saw a dolphin stampede of common dolphins, white sided dolphins, and a few bottlenose dolphins . Although we didn't see any whales, I love the dolphins more than the whales so I was so happy. The crew was so friendly and knowledgeable. Captain Dave taught us so much during our trip. I purchased the book about our boat's namesake, Lily. My students loved the book. The brownies were delicious! And did I mention the catamaran, Lily, was beautiful, comfortable, and modern. Can't wait to do it again!!!

4 attraction reviews
“What a fun tour!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Capt Dave's dolphin safari and whale watching tour is awesome! From booking of the tour online, they will email or contact us to confirm our trip. They are unable to call me to inform me abt the change in time schedule but manage to leave an email for me. Everyone was friendly and very accommodating. We were rather lucky to spot quite a number of dolphins and few whales. Though the whales were not as near the boat as I would like them to be. But the crew really went the extra mile to try to move to a better position. Great service and yummy brownies!!

ArielleA, Owner at Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
I'm so glad you had fun and got to see whales and dolphins! Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback about your safari. I'm sorry the whales were not as close to the boat as you would have liked. We are very respectful of whales. We do not make deliberate attempts to get right next to them and to do so would be wrong. Anything that changes their natural behavior is in violation of the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Gray whales can be shy or outgoing. Most are kind of shy, especially if it's a mother and calf or if there are a large number of boats following a whale. The outgoing whales might choose to come up next to our boat, during which time our boat is in neutral and does not move under power until the whale is a safe distance away. This is called a "mugging" and is very exiting to experience. Blue and fin whales are less shy and will "mug" us more frequently. I hope you can join us again soon!
6 attraction reviews
“Amazing! More than your money's worth! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We just returned from an afternoon on Capt. Dave's large boat after seeing whales, dolphins and sea lions! This was a very enjoyable trip - educational as well as fun. We highly recommend!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our dolphin and whale watching safari. I'm so glad you had fun! If you're not already a fan, please find us on Facebook for awesome photos and videos of our trips.