“A definite do-over!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Harbor Grill Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 115 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cross street: Dana Point Harbor Drive
California
“A definite do-over!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

My wife and I recently visited this restaurant and are in love with everything about it! If you like fresh fish cooked over mesquite, this is the place you need to try. The menu was extensive and our server offered plenty of suggestions, some of which were not on the menu, but variations of menu items. The service was impeccible, the music on this Friday night was contemporary and easy to listen to. We honestly couldn't find a bad thing about the Harbor Grill.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Appleton, WI
“Small Portions of Average Seafood served in a Cozy Atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We were going to opt for another restaurant in the harbor area before coming along this place. The smells from the restaurant were inviting to give it a go and the menu selection was pretty good variety for the 3 of us in our party. This place had pretty limited outdoor seating so we dined inside and even though it was a full house when we went over for supper at around 6pm it only took about 15 min to get a table.

When you first walk in the door you have an older gentlemen playing an elec piano to add to the atmosphere. He played the slowest version of Right Here by Richard Marx I have ever heard but it was fine overall and did not drown out your conversation. If you need to go to the restrooms it throws you for a loop at first with a sign posted like it would be for a common his/her shared bath but push through this door to reveal 2 separate areas for each gender. There was another 2 people I watches with puzzled looks on their faces when approaching so I know I wasn't the only one thrown a curve ball.

Tonight I decided to opt for the seafood and had the Grilled Alaskan Halibut with roasted mash potatoes. I had halibut prepared many different ways while actually in Alaska (ate it like 8 times up there) as I am a picky seafood eater and this was a pretty safe bet for me. Dinner was accompanied with a Coors Lite and the total before tip was about $42.

Our meals came out of the kitchen in about 15-20 min which was nice and quick but the portions were tiny for a plate of food around $30. My friend order the shrimp and he had the same experience leaving us both hungry for more as it was lite by our standards and so much so that we went over to the Scoop Deck for a cone after for dessert to fill the void in our appetites. I am not a big guy with a huge appetite so it is pretty bad to be that hungry after a meal. To put it into perspective you would get a portion double that if not 1 1/2 times that back in Wisconsin for the same price. When it comes to food tastes it was actually pretty bland but not fishy tasting either. I had the waitress bring me out a side of melted butter for dipping to add some flavor.

The staff was friendly enough and attentive to service needs and the place cozy but again when a pizza place 2 nights before has the best food we sampled in Dana Point that is telling you something about the options we encountered. This was an average dinning experience when ranked against all my traveling meals and one I could skip repeating when back in Dana Pt.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
CA
“Great menu and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

With piano accompaniment and great weather it is a not a surprise that this is a long time favorite with locals. We enjoyed seafood selections that met everyone's taste and a non seafood dinner for our fishless friend. The menu is extensive an offers many different preparations. There are even different burgers for the die hard burger fans. Salads are crisp and the petite ceasar is light, tangy and really good. Reservations are a good idea but not always necessary. If you care to wait, you can always walk along the harbor and enjoy the weather and the boats. There is something for every price range from under $20 and up for entrees, The kitchen is open and behind glass and can be viewed from the dining room. Dress is casual but the food is upscale. And you can walk off dinner with a stroll

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Palm Desert,CA
“Great Views, Outdoor seating right on the Harbor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I love this restaurant because you just feel apart of the Harbor
scene and can watch the boats coming in/going out of the Harbor
in a good atmosphere with good food, reduced at Happy Hour, so
it's a deal. We took our family there many times over the summer,
met friends there, just a popular, good place to visit. Take a jacket
as it can get cool in the evening.

• Visited August 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Laguna Hills, California
“GOING DOWN HILL!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Very disappointed with our recent visit. The price was high, portions small, sides cold and ambiance unremarkable . In all, a total waste of money. My companion felt guilty for recommending the place and made a point of telling the manager her feelings on the way
out.