“Beautiful Resort with Friendly and Attentive Service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Dana Point
Dallas, TX
“Beautiful Resort with Friendly and Attentive Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

This resort is amazing- I recommend playing golf here (if you are a golfer) and visiting the Monarch Bay Club. Everything was top notch- spa, service and amentities. I didn't want to leave!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

Of course, given the fact that it is a St. Regis, you come to this hotel with high expectations. The St. Regis Monarch Beach did not disappoint, in my case. All aspects of my stay were first-rate, from the location, size and quality of the room and amenities, to the service I received from housekeeping, restaurant staff and the concierge desk and the beautiful views of the Pacific, the golf course and grounds, from all over the hotel. Everything was just as you might expect.

The location is far enough from restaurants and other area attractions that, if you plan to go anywhere else, you will need a car, hotel limo or taxi, but the hotel restaurants are good enough that you may not want to go anywhere else. The Monarch Beach Club restaurant (available only to hotel guests) is right on the water's edge and offers stunning views during dinner or a quiet drink in the bar. You will need to take the free shuttle from the main hotel building to the restaurant, as it is quite a walk and you might not find your way. One of the restaurants inside the hotel, Motif, serves excellent breakfasts with beautiful views of the grounds and the Pacific. I can't wait to go back and try the other dining options as well.

All-in-all, just what you would expect from a St. Regis.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010 via mobile

My Husband and I stayed at the St. Regis Monarch Beach during the first week of July. We were there mainly for business but we had a few spare days for pleasure and relaxation. Overall, the St. Regis was beautiful. From the front entry to the gardens and golf course, everything was tended to and made the stay even more incredible. The first few days most of our work required us to be off the grounds for most of the day so we didn't get to enjoy the beach or restaurants. Once our business work was done we were able to enjoy all the amentities the hotel had to offer. Our time was mainly spent at the pool where Austin and Meghan helped us out. The pool service was exceptional, always offering water and assisting us in any needs. Danielle, I think her name was, always checked on us and was able to make modifications to the current menu items. The food could have been better, but Motif and Stonehill Tavern made up for that over the next few nights. The Monach Bay club had great service and set us up with chairs and towels. There was a lot of seaweed in the sand, which did hinder our once-a-year beach experience. We had a great time and will be returning next next year.

• Stayed March 2010
Fresno
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

My husband & I had one day of business and two of pleasure at this lovely resort. I was recovering from shoulder surgery and so not able to participate on the golf but it was simply a great stay. We ate at both Stonehill Tavern and Motif and were very pleased with the tasting offerings and the variety. Our servers in both places were first class - friendly without being overly so. Our Butler (Winston!) made some suggestions as to casual, fun places in town and we took his advise without checking with concierge - not a problem, he was right on. Had a storm one night and enjoyed sound of rain on patio, following a lovely sunset. We were welcomed upon arrival, alway well care for when we took our car and went out and about, it was just great. I do agree with other posters that to have internet charges and resort fees and high parking charges seems wrong at these rates. I was prepared for them because I had read of them here, but still, at this level, that should all be included. Sort of in the situation, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. Sad that the few $$ they pick up this way always seem to be reflected in negative comments about the resort (and others who operate similarly).

The resort was not at capacity, we were upgraded to a lovely ocean view room at the end of the resort, large room, extremely well decorated and fitted out with seating group, adequate desk, good lights, etc. Bathroom very large with tub and separate extremely large walk in shower all in marble.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Greenacres, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

Beautiful hotel but had nicer accommodations & service at the US Grant in San Diego, the Nines in Portland, and even Sheratons & Westins have been better! Informed the hotel it was our 1 yr anniversary (and also Valentines day) no welcome or notice of our anniversary, given a standard GROUND floor room w/ patio & you could tell the hotel wasn't full at all. Yes we were there on Starwood points but still a let down to not have any recognition. Room was nice, bed a bit hard and definitely needed softer pillows. Only coffee available is by room-service or walking down to Crust (for us 5 floors up and on the other side of the resort). Turn down service was the only treat, robes and slippers laid out, on Valentines day there was a Rose (minus any thrones) on the pillow. Very clean and pretty property but probably wouldn't go back. . . on the plus the tram service to the beach was very nice & valet staff were very nice & helpful (the front desk check-in agent should of taken some training from the valets, I didn't get her name but not too friendly & seemed put out that I even asked if any upgrades available).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

The hotel is beautiful. We stayed in an Ocean View room. The room is huge and luxurious and the bathroom is almost half the size of the room. The grounds are immaculate. Considering this is a 5 star/5 diamond hotel, everything is great but these are the things that bothered me personally. My Ocean View room was not what I had expected because you had to lean all the way over the balcony to see the ocean. The service at the pool was very slow, and the food and alcohol were overpriced for what you get. A simple cocktail of vodka and soda is $13. A Bud Light is $7. The selections at the pool were either a Caesar Salad with chicken, a turky sandwich for $18.50, or a hamburger for $20. The children's offering were 3 small chicken fingers for $9. The server at the pool came around every 30 minutes and never more frequent than that. You have to pay extra for internet in your room. I don't understand why the nice hotels charge for Internet when you can get free internet in most cheap hotels. They don't let you self park so you have to wait for valet and tip the valet each time you want your car. They don't let you get your own ice, so that means any time you want ice in your room you have to wait for someone to bring it up....more tips. The workout facility was excellent. A TV on each cardio machine, a lap pool, and a heated spa.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

This used to be my favorite hotel in Orange County. Not any more! The first room had absolute filthy carpets and a broken desk lamp. Not what you want to experience after getting off a plane at 10PM. The second room (waited till midnight to get it) had stained carpets and a broken phone. A call to the manager was "I'm sorry is a $50 room credit OK?" Not really what you expect when you are paying $400/night. If I was staying at motel 6 for $50 maybe. But $400/night for a filthy poorly maintained room? No I don't think so. I changed my 3 night stay to 1 night and that was 1 night to long. I understand the property is in (or near) bankruptcy. Not what it used to be at all. Stay elsewhere if you want quality. Its not here any more. No way I would book an event here. Run don't walk to another property (like the Ritz).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Been to St. Regis, Monarch Beach? Share your experiences!