“One of my favorite resorts in the world” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Dana Point
Houston, Texas
“One of my favorite resorts in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I have nothing but favorable impressions, wonderful memories and an outstanding recommendation for the St. Regis Monarch Beach. The staff is ultra-attentive as you would expect and check-in, check-out, help with activities and any possible request are handled flawlessly. I have stayed there 3 times over the last 6 years and the experience is always the same --- memorable and outstanding. I have also hosted a corporate meeting there and can say the same experience extends to even planning.

The grounds of the resort are superb. Plenty of walking trails, a nice botanical garden, adult and open pools, and spectacular balcony views of the ocean. I recommend paying more for an ocean view, but I have stayed in rooms without one and it was not a big deal because you will spend lots of time wandering the grounds. The best thing about the resort is the access to the Monarch Bay Beach Resort. A tram takes you down at all hours of the day it seems. Monarch Beach is great and the Monarch Bay Beach Club will make sure you get your chairs umbrellas, body boards, surf lessons and anything else you want. The ocean is great for body boarding and surfing here. Life guards are on duty and attentive. And the beach is generally not that crowded. If you wander the far end you will find nice tidal pools. Best surfing is to your left, just where Salt Creek enters the Pacific or further down in front of the farthest life guard station.

Dining at the resort is a real highlight. Michael Mina's Stonehill Tavern is one of my top 5 and the tasting menu is always phenonmenal. Crust is handy for tea and breakfast. The lounge offers high tea and phenomenal sunsets. The Monarch Bay Beach Club offers beach side dining and a nice menu in or out.

The spa is also world class. Great facilities, work-out equipment and superb staff.

This is really an outstanding option for those who can afford the best.

Room Tip: gotta get an ocean view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
SRMB, Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear George Y,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your recent stay with us! We are so very pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy all of the various amenities which we offer. We agree - the beach and Monarch Bay Club are not to be missed! We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Manhattan Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Been coming to St Regis Monarch Resort for over ten years. Just returned from a four night stay. When I checked in Tuesday, I asked Front Desk to arrange for late Sat checkout after 2pm as my family was joining me and I hold 5 star Platinum elite status. No problem he said. I asked to apply Starwood suite upgrade awards. Was told St Regis would only upgrade room for cash. A/C in room functioned intermittently. Informed housekeeping. It was never dealt with. Safe in closet did not work. Informed operator. It was never dealt with. Picture hanging on wall by bath had broken frame. When I hosted a 2pm Friday lunch in Motif for three foreign officials, waitstaff was barely attentive. When my son and his wife arrived Friday for the night (in their scruffy car) valet staff would not wait on them (preferring to deal with the well healed elite in their shiny Bentley's, Mercedes, etc. Shame on management for such a lack of professionalism. Next time in area, I'll be at the neighboring Ritz where service remains on a better lever. - John Venardos

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear John V,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We sincerely apologize that your stay encountered so many issues as this is not typical of our service standards. Your comments about your check-in experience, room issues and associate encounters will be shared with our General Manager and addressed accordingly. If you feel there is anything we can do to change your mind about a return stay with us, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Executive Offices directly at (949) 234-3301. We hope you will consider visiting us again, so we can change your perception of our resort and truly exceed your expectations.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

If you considering yourself to be an upscale traveler who enjoys the finer things in life, you need to experience the beautiful St. Regis Monarch Beach. This gem of a hotel is located 30 minutes south of the John Wayne Orange County Airport in one of America's most picturesque beach communities, Dana Point, California. The St. Regis Monarch Beach offers one of the best spas in Southern California, a challenging 18-hole golf course that overlooks the Pacific Ocean, a huge pool and with plenty of lounge chairs, incredible sunsets, and everything else you would expect from a 5-star resort.

While the St. Regis Monarch Beach caters to upscale corporate and incentive meetings with its excellent meetings and plentiful banquet space, it's also one of the most sought-after locations for weddings and other special celebrations.

I met a couple from Los Angeles who came down to The St. Regis for the weekend. She wanted to lounge by the fabulous pool. He wanted to play golf. "It's our idea of the perfect weekend," they told me! I agree.

If you're looking for that one special resort to plan your next weekend getaway, corporate meeting, or romantic adventure, you won't be disappointed by the St. Regis Monarch Beach. I wasn't!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms on the 4th and 5th floor are very desirable. They'll cost you more, but the sun...
Green Features: St. Regis Monarch Beach is managed by Starwood Hotels, a leader in environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Tom H,

Thank you for the wonderful review of our resort! We appreciate all of the kind comments regarding the hotel, amenities and staff. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This place is excellent. Excellent service, excellent grounds, excellent amenities, excellent rooms. We opted for the executive suite with, yes, a butler. And, we took advantage of the opportunity. My husband had his clothes pressed and his shoes shined. French press coffee on the veranda in plush robes every morning. Decadent. The best part was they found out it was my birthday and had champagne waiting. He even walked all the way out to the hot tub to tell us we had secured our dinner reservations. He let my daughter name him. So sweet. I cant say enough about the food and kindness of the staff. There is a drink with Gin and Lavender that you just must try.

The beach club was also incredible. They have a bar outside, set up your umbrellas and chairs, and really are very nice. There is a shuttle you take to the beach. And, try to go even if they seem full. Oddly enough a table opened up and we had a corner view for dinner!

I think my only caution would be stay away on 4th of July unless money is no object. For the price of the room, and it was not inexpensive, as an spg platinum I had hoped for a stellar upgrade. There were none to be found as it was fully booked. They did manage to keep us in the same room all three nights. When I go to other spg hotels and pay the rates I paid (ouch) it is a different experience. I even booked a hotel on points in Sacramento (had to cut back after the St Regis decadence :) ) and they upgraded us to the penthouse. But with that said, I realize it is only upon availability.

On that note, it was interesting to watch an employee of a 6 star resort treat paying guests rudely. We were waiting for the shuttle and she and her potential beach club members jumped on ahead of us even though they arrived in line after. I mentioned it to the manager and he was very kind. Insisted on buying me a drink which wasn't necessary but he acknowledge the poor choice. The hotel is so spectacular you cannot stay focused on something like that for long but it was interesting to watch that even happen at a 6 star resort where service is usually impeccable.

We will be back very soon. This place is really a great option for a couple days of decadence.

Room Tip: Executive Suite for your butler!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Tracy H,

Thank you for much for your recent stay with us! We appreciate your kind words regarding the resort and your experience, yet apologize for the incident with the shuttle and will be sure to address it with the employee. Should you like to address the issue further, please feel free to reach out to our Executive Offices directly at (949) 234-3301. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

The reason to give this hotel five stars in the service. Honestly, there are better views of the ocean at nearby hotels. But no one outshines this group in service. From the moment you enter the property to the time you exit, the staff could not do enough or provide more smiles or friendlier attitude. The resturant should also not be missed, outstanding food and wine pairings. Great golf course and easy walk or ride to the ocean. We will be back.

Stayed July 2014
SRMB, Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, September 16, 2014
Dear Ahg2,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our legendary Five-Star, Five-Diamond service! We look forward to welcoming you back!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

As someone who has stayed in many St. Regis around the world, I was excited to stay in another USA property. My wife and I are huge fans of the brand, ever since our wedding night stay at the St. Regis NY. For better or worse, we always compare every St. Regis to the one in NY, and the Monarch beach property does many things wonderfully well, but fall short in a few others. First the accolades. First class greeting at the door by the valet staff. They were always available to help, and Matt our bellman was very attentive to our needs, and always acknowledged us, even as we were entering and exiting the hotel during the course of our stay. The concierge staff is bar none the best I have worked with. Gundula and Marty could not have done more to go out of their way to accommodate us. Their recommendations were spot on, from beaches to visit to dining locations. We wanted to go to a beach off property, Gundula herself went and got us beach chairs and towels to make sure we would be comfortable outside the hotel's beach. Amazing. Marty set us up with whale watching which was the highlight of our trip. The staff at Motif were amazing. Miguel took great care of us during dinner service. Ariel at check out was also very friendly and appreciative of our stay.
The grounds are gorgeous. The main pool was very crowded, but we found a quiet spot in the spa pool. The spa itself is fantastic, beautifully done and well worth the resort fee for access to the facilities.
Now for the negatives:
Check in: We checked in at 10:00 PM, and no one outside the valet staff was there to greet us. Another couple were checking in, but we were not acknowledged at all for about 3 minutes. Finally someone came and checked us in, but her demeanor was not welcoming, nor did we get the room type we wanted, even though it was a downgrade from the original room type booked. See below for more on that.
The Room: First room we were given was not our first choice, we asked for double room, but were told none were available due to a large wedding. This is understandable. We got to the room and my wife went to shower, where she found a housekeeping issue. I called the front desk to explain the situation, and the duty manager immediately switched our room to the double bedded room (a different person from the check in desk). Magically the room was now available. Even though it was a downgrade in view, at least it was clean and the room type we wanted. The bathrooms are large, but void of any personality. I didn't feel they were luxurious in any special way, they felt generic. Again, keep in mind we are comparing to the St. Regis NY.
Parking is too expensive at $34 a day. Really??
The conventions: I did not realize that this hotel was a boon for conventions. Many groups are coming in and out, and the feel of the hotel is very conventional at times, which we did not expect. I expected more of a family resort atmosphere.
Overall, our expectations were either too high for the property, or there was just some failures that questioned our decision to stay at the hotel. Next time would look to other properties in LA or OC before jumping to go here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
SRMB, Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Bobbyz51,

Thank you so much for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of our resort and will be sure to pass along your kind words to Matt, Gundula, Marty, Miguel and Ariel! Your comments regarding the room readiness and cleanliness will be shared with our housekeeping management team to ensure that this type of experience is avoided in the future. We hope to be able to welcome you and your wife back again!
Manhattan Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

If you are looking for a relaxing luxurious vacation spot, this is it. the grounds are beautiful, the rooms are great, and the pool is exquisite. The spa is small but adequate. it is not cheep, but luxury comes at a price. if you have the extra cash, rent a cabana by the pool.

Room Tip: all rooms are great. we have stayed in simple rooms and suits. if you can get an ocean view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear mkhoro,

Thank you for your kind words about our resort! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Been to St. Regis, Monarch Beach? Share your experiences!