“Awesome St. Regis, Less than Awesome Room” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Dana Point
Phoenix, Arizona
“Awesome St. Regis, Less than Awesome Room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Timeless service and amenities as always at the St. Regis brand. This property is absolutely beautiful. Nothing is out of place. The restaurant was delicious, and the wait staff were very attentive. In-room dinning was perfect as well. The valet staff were quick and respectful of my car. The concierge recommended a delightful place off property for breakfast, just steps from the boardwalk. The four stars are because the room was less than standard at a property of this caliber. Don't misunderstand me. The room was amazing, but for a St. Regis, the room was substandard. The view from the balcony was of a construction site. Nothing like mounds of dirt, orange construction fences and a Caterpillar tractor sitting outside your balcony at a five star resort! Did I mention the balcony. Much to small to do anything on. And the balcony door wouldn't latch so every time the A/C turned on, the door would open just enough to trip the sensor on the door to turn the A/C off. Very frustrating! I probably should have called maintenance, but just didn't feel like having anyone in my room to do repairs. No jets in the tub; an amenity that is expected at this kind of property. I would absolutely come here again, just some details were overlooked is all.

Room Tip: Inquiry at check-in as to where the grounds renovations are so your view isn't spoiled.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
SRMB, Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear spartin117117,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and your review of the resort. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed the property, our staff and the restaurants. We appreciate your feedback regarding the rooms and will be sure to share with our engineering team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

This is a beautiful resort and great for a wedding venue.

We stayed only for a few days, but it was a memorable experience. The service was great and very friendly, and the St Regis Astor suite is spacious and luxurious.

Spa Gaucin is amazing and well worth the money.

Can't wait to go back ...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ksenya,
Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us! We appreciate your kind words about our resort and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Nice landscape & clean ground,but resort does not have any extensive beach, ocean view unless you're at their private beach which is about 15 minutes walk from main hotel area or taking their tram down there. The room, and hallways in need of updating, outdated and worn carpet. For a name like St Regis, quite dissapointing, perhaps been to too many resorts, by far this one was not impressived, especially for $35 overnight parking, resort fee, internet fee, buffet $35 pp, and the list goes on, you got to be top notch for us to come back. Service was great, but overall having to pay a lot for mediocre facility. Service was great, friendly service. Yet, the atmosphere was not there for us. RC over in Laguna Beach, much more posh feeling.

Room Tip: even if you choose an ocean view room will be a tiny, sliver of ocean view you're looking at, no...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear znetbabe,
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service and hotel grounds. We appreciate your comments regarding our interiors and will be sure to share with our Executive and Engineering teams for action. If there is anything further we can do, please reach out to our Executive Offices at (949) 234-3301.
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I went to the St. Regis for a business trip for the first time this December and at first I was upset that I wasn't at the Ritz where I had stayed prior. My opinion quickly changed. My first room was a pool view which was lovely and very spacious. I later got upgraded to an ocean view suite where I had a butler!!! He ironed my clothes and brought me French pressed coffee every morning. They even packed for me! I'm forever spoiled and now I compare everything to this. The coffee shop had amazing coffee and a croissant that was to die for. Me and my coworker wanted to go down to the beach so there's a cart that will bring you down. The grounds are beautiful, the service amazing. I can't wait to come back.
Oh yes and then there is the spa which I highly recommend. I got a hot stone massage :)

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear LaurzieB,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write such a wonderful review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to experience our wonderful amenities such as our Butler service, Crust coffee shop, Spa Gaucin and our private Monarch Bay Club. Please come back and see us again soon!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I was invited to my first same sex wedding which was being held at the St Regis. The grooms could not have picked a better locations. The whole staff were incredibly supportive (and excited about the event) and made us feel welcome which only contributed to the wonderful celebration that it was. The service execution was flawless. The food fantastic. And the views/sunsets, you have to see them for yourself. A great wedding which was supported by a great location.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear liambuckley2010,
Thank you for your recent stay and wonderful review! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our resort, our amenities, and what we're sure was a beautiful wedding. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

As others have noted this is a lovely resort and only a few years old. The views are stunning, the staff nice and friendly. My concerns are the quality of the rooms which are not designed for the business traveller. I know that my expectations are perhaps out of place given the type of resort but given the meetings which were ther and the appeal for conferences I would have expected some better room amenities. There were no outlets in the room to charge the devices we all carry. The desks not truly suitable for work. The wireless not very fast and requiring several pages jus to connect.
No coffee maker in the room; but there was water. The in room safe did not work in my room. The balcony door had a security lock that was more for show and would not have stopped anyone who truly wanted access.

The grounds and meeting places were nice but the complaint from all (men and women) was the effort to find bathrooms which were far away and not clearly marked. The spa and fitness area was incredible and I enjoyed the time in the lap pool and fitness room.

In closing it is a beautiful property and I would return for a more relaxing non-business visit.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Robert J,
Thank you for your review and for your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to share with our Executive and Engineering teams, as we always strive to maintain a Five-Star, Five-Diamond facility. We hope that you are able to visit us again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

We are loyal Starwood goers and this hotel reminded us why. The grounds - amazing. The service - exceptional. The room - fantastic. The location - stellar.
We are SPG platinum members and were treated as such. Cousins staying with us are not SPG members but were treated with due respect.
I wish we had the time to try the golf course.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Briansha,
Thank you for choosing The St. Regis Monarch Beach for your recent getaway and for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your kind feedback and are pleased to know that you are a loyal Starwood guest. We hope to welcome you and your family back again soon!

Been to St. Regis, Monarch Beach? Share your experiences!