“one of the best hotels I've stayed” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Dana Point
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
“one of the best hotels I've stayed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

This is a beautiful resort and great for a wedding venue.

We stayed only for a few days, but it was a memorable experience. The service was great and very friendly, and the St Regis Astor suite is spacious and luxurious.

Spa Gaucin is amazing and well worth the money.

Can't wait to go back ...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SRMB, Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Ksenya,
Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us! We appreciate your kind words about our resort and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

1,095 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Nice landscape & clean ground,but resort does not have any extensive beach, ocean view unless you're at their private beach which is about 15 minutes walk from main hotel area or taking their tram down there. The room, and hallways in need of updating, outdated and worn carpet. For a name like St Regis, quite dissapointing, perhaps been to too many resorts, by far this one was not impressived, especially for $35 overnight parking, resort fee, internet fee, buffet $35 pp, and the list goes on, you got to be top notch for us to come back. Service was great, but overall having to pay a lot for mediocre facility. Service was great, friendly service. Yet, the atmosphere was not there for us. RC over in Laguna Beach, much more posh feeling.

Room Tip: even if you choose an ocean view room will be a tiny, sliver of ocean view you're looking at, no...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear znetbabe,
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service and hotel grounds. We appreciate your comments regarding our interiors and will be sure to share with our Executive and Engineering teams for action. If there is anything further we can do, please reach out to our Executive Offices at (949) 234-3301.
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I went to the St. Regis for a business trip for the first time this December and at first I was upset that I wasn't at the Ritz where I had stayed prior. My opinion quickly changed. My first room was a pool view which was lovely and very spacious. I later got upgraded to an ocean view suite where I had a butler!!! He ironed my clothes and brought me French pressed coffee every morning. They even packed for me! I'm forever spoiled and now I compare everything to this. The coffee shop had amazing coffee and a croissant that was to die for. Me and my coworker wanted to go down to the beach so there's a cart that will bring you down. The grounds are beautiful, the service amazing. I can't wait to come back.
Oh yes and then there is the spa which I highly recommend. I got a hot stone massage :)

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear LaurzieB,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write such a wonderful review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to experience our wonderful amenities such as our Butler service, Crust coffee shop, Spa Gaucin and our private Monarch Bay Club. Please come back and see us again soon!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I was invited to my first same sex wedding which was being held at the St Regis. The grooms could not have picked a better locations. The whole staff were incredibly supportive (and excited about the event) and made us feel welcome which only contributed to the wonderful celebration that it was. The service execution was flawless. The food fantastic. And the views/sunsets, you have to see them for yourself. A great wedding which was supported by a great location.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear liambuckley2010,
Thank you for your recent stay and wonderful review! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our resort, our amenities, and what we're sure was a beautiful wedding. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

As others have noted this is a lovely resort and only a few years old. The views are stunning, the staff nice and friendly. My concerns are the quality of the rooms which are not designed for the business traveller. I know that my expectations are perhaps out of place given the type of resort but given the meetings which were ther and the appeal for conferences I would have expected some better room amenities. There were no outlets in the room to charge the devices we all carry. The desks not truly suitable for work. The wireless not very fast and requiring several pages jus to connect.
No coffee maker in the room; but there was water. The in room safe did not work in my room. The balcony door had a security lock that was more for show and would not have stopped anyone who truly wanted access.

The grounds and meeting places were nice but the complaint from all (men and women) was the effort to find bathrooms which were far away and not clearly marked. The spa and fitness area was incredible and I enjoyed the time in the lap pool and fitness room.

In closing it is a beautiful property and I would return for a more relaxing non-business visit.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Robert J,
Thank you for your review and for your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to share with our Executive and Engineering teams, as we always strive to maintain a Five-Star, Five-Diamond facility. We hope that you are able to visit us again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

We are loyal Starwood goers and this hotel reminded us why. The grounds - amazing. The service - exceptional. The room - fantastic. The location - stellar.
We are SPG platinum members and were treated as such. Cousins staying with us are not SPG members but were treated with due respect.
I wish we had the time to try the golf course.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Briansha,
Thank you for choosing The St. Regis Monarch Beach for your recent getaway and for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your kind feedback and are pleased to know that you are a loyal Starwood guest. We hope to welcome you and your family back again soon!
Orange County, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

First, I feel compelled to get something out of the way right up front that could be very important to your stay:

The DO NOT DISTURB is a button on the thermostat!

Ok, I said it and feel much better. Granted this fact was specifically disclosed on the info they gave us when we checked in (and which we clearly did not read until checking out). We kept having people come to our door and we kept saying "Where the heck is the DND?" But since we only stayed one night we were too lazy to call and ask.

With that out of the way . . .

Given that I have reviewed the resort before (and you can click and see my prior reviews) I won't repeat everything again but will try to hit on the new points.

As I mentioned, we stayed 1 night this past weekend in honor of my hubby's birthday. I had given him the choice of STR, the Ritz and the Montage and he chose STR. Given the event, we did splurge and book the St. Regis Suite this time. We have previously stayed in Executive Suites twice and a basic room once. While the St. Regis Suite was very nice and quite large, I must admit that I preferred the Executive Suite simply because the view was better. A bit more on this:

The St. Regis Suite has an entirely separate living area with pull out couch, TV, etc. plus a full second bath, two closets, etc. The room would be great for a family needing some extra sleeping space. However, even with the best view category, given where the rooms are situated in the resort, their ocean view was no where near as good as the Executive (Executive Suites with the highest view category are at the very tip of the wings and thus closest to the water. The STR Suite was not and though you could see the ocean, the view from our room was over the pool restaurant, then the pool and then the ocean.

So, ultimately it is a trade off. Want more room? This is great for that. But if you want a better view, go with Executive (again, this is all premised on the "best" view category on the website - I am not sure what views these rooms have in lower categories.)

This time, we took advantage of the tram down to the beach. With the big surf this past weekend it was awesome to watch the big waves rolling in. If you have the weather for it, definitely use the beach - it is great. They have guys who set up your chairs, umbrellas, towels - it couldn't be easier.

My only complaint about the stay related to the tram. They have maps on the property with walking trails marked. Based on those, on the second day, we thought it would be good to walk down to the beach and then take the tram back up. Learn from our mistake - you cannot walk to the same beach - you can get to a beach, but not the one for the resort. Not a huge deal but I was not happy with how the hotel handled it from there.

Having taken the tram the prior day we knew the route and once we realized that we couldn't walk the whole way, we decided to wait on the tram route and ask the tram to take us the rest of the way. Problem was that after waiting about 20 minutes, no tram. So we called the resort and were first told that the tram would be able to stop for us and just to flag the next tram. 15 tram-less minutes later, second call at which point the rather unhelpful different person told us somewhat snippily that, no, we were in the wrong place and told us to go to a different spot and wait. Fine. We did. Still no tram. Really? You have now had 2 calls from guests indicating they are waiting for a tram and you don't send a tram? You could have just told us this isn't possible and we would have ended up at the same result - at the pool instead.

Sorry for the rant. Long story short - just take the tram back AND forth.

As always, we loved the spa and brunch (this is our favorite brunch period). The hotel was also great about acknowledging hubby's day. Pretty much every staff person we dealt with wished him a happy one. They also delivered a card, cake and goodies. It was very very nice of them (and quite frankly at hotels of this level I expect it).

All in all, aside from tram-gate, it was a great stay. I highly recommend the resort

Room Tip: If you care about views, I would recommend you call the hotel for more detail before choosing a room...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
SRMB, Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear SarahInSoCal,

We are honored that your husband chose to spend his birthday with us, and are happy to know that it was time well spent! Your comments regarding your tram experience will be shared with our team to ensure that these practices are improved upon prior to your next visit. We hope that to have you both back to celebrate another special occasion soon!

Been to St. Regis, Monarch Beach? Share your experiences!