“If you are looking for 5 star luxury- look no further!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Dana Point
Palm Springs
“If you are looking for 5 star luxury- look no further!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

This hotel experience was absolutely outstanding. It really can't get better than the St. Regis Monarch Beach. The service was impeccable with every interaction we had with a member of the St. Regis staff. The check in process was easy and the people at the front desk were incredibly polite and gracious. The room was in great condition and very luxe in every sense. The food was really superb and the Sunday Brunch was the best that we've ever had-it was that good. The pool was well heated. The fitness center was great. This hotel had it all- everything was 100% great with not of negative feedback on anything. If you like ultra luxury hotels, you've got to try this hotel.

Room Tip: You definitely want an ocean view.
    • 5 of 5 stars
SRMB, Executive Offices at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear EvanPSP,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write such a wonderful review! We are so glad that you could enjoy all the hotel amenities, and had time for our legendary Sunday Brunch! Please come back and see us again soon!

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is by far the nicest hotel I have had the pleasure of staying at. Service is outstanding, room was very nice - enough room, comfortable bed, and all the fixtures and furniture was high quality.
I cannot say enough good things about it.

Room Tip: I was in Room 675- overlooking courtyard and ocean. Great for sunsets!
Dear RFNJ,
Thank you for such an amazing review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to seeing you at the Best Address again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I've wanted to stay at this property for years, and recently had an opportunity to attend a conference here. The hotel definitely did not disappoint. It is an unbelievably beautiful hotel; the grounds, pool, beach, not to mention the inside, just stunning. Do not miss the sunsets! While I was there, the hotel was sold out. I would think I'd be bumping into people left and right, but this was not the case. We ate many meals outside on some of the many patios and terraces - just lovely.
The room was beautiful, turn down service was excellent, and the staff was professional and helpful. Overall, can't say enough about this hotel and I'll definitely be back!

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My family has stayed at this hotel many times since its opening. This year my husband and I were here for 5 nights beginning Sept. 17th to celebrate our 31st Anniv. Everything was perfect!
After dinner our first night, we arrived back at the room to a nice surprise of Champagne, a beautiful bowl of fruit, and a nice note from Colin, the Doorman. Our room on the 5th floor was beautiful, quiet, and very clean. Service throughout our stay was Great! We'll be back again! Thank you, St. Regis Monarch Beach!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
SRMB, Executive Offices at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Gina S,
Thank you for spending your 31st Anniversary with us! We will pass along your compliments to our Doorman Colin and his Manager. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Best Address!
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Just a phenomenal property with excellent service and meeting facilities. Our expectations were exceeded. We had a small suite with "butler" service. We received wonderful French press coffee and biscotti each AM. Wonderful outdoor lunch at the cafe.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Robert W,
We are so glad you enjoyed your coffee and Butler service. Thank you for staying with us and writing such a nice review! We hope to see you soon!
Orange County, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The Bellagio in Las Vegas was my favorite hotel in the U.S.A. until... I ventured unto this stunning property. My goodness, this is the bomb.

Our two rooms weren't quite ready but we didn't mind. A hotel staffer was serving fresh, homemade cookies on silver trays near the reception desk. Oh, and they also offered us bottled water with the hotel's name on the labels. It's the little things that make a great impression.

We were here to celebrate a birthday and after valeting the car, I realized we had left the birthday gift in the car. The valet attendant quickly ran back to my car and retrieved the present for me. Again, it's the little things that count.

The rooms were gorgeous. Huge bathrooms (you could throw a party in them) and the rooms were beautifully decorated. There is a huge mirror that it is propped at an angle from the floor and we thought it had fallen from the wall. Fear not, travelers...the hotel's entire collection of mirrors are presented in this fashion.

Beds were very comfortable and the linens and coverings were so beautiful you almost hated to mess them up. Hallways were very quiet. You will sleep well here.

The pool was fantastic. You are given wristbands to identify you as a guest and they check them carefully. But here is where this resort sets itself apart. We were a party of six and as we walked into the pool area, an attendant asked us to wait. THEY FIND YOUR LOUNGE CHAIRS FOR YOU.. Really? Yes, really. A few minutes later all of us were lounging at the pool together. The attendant also laid out a towel for each of us. NICE.

Pool side service was great. The Bloody Marys were very good. They also have beautiful urns with iced water (with lemon slices) available for thirsty guests. After being at the pool for about 30 minutes, a food server appeared with a silver tray filled with complimentary chocolate-covered strawberries for the birthday girl. It's little things that impress, but this was a very nice gesture by the staff.

This is my new favorite hotel. Sure it's pricey, but if you want to indulge and feel like a king or queen, this is the place to get that treatment.

The best part is that it is not pretentious. There were adults dressed in jeans and tees and little kids running around in swim suits. It's California casual and despite its regal status, you do not feel intimidated one bit.

Go ahead and splurge and stay here. You deserve to be appreciated and spoiled rotten. I absolutely LOVE everything about the St. Regis in Monarch Beach, California.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear SportsReporter,
Thank you for such an amazing review! We are so glad to have exceeded your expectations! Your compliments will be passed along to our Pool and Valet Management team. Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Best Address soon!
Hainesport, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This hotel definitely falls into the "high end resort" category, and my opinions of the place over my 4-day stay are a bit mixed.

When coming up the porte cochere for the first time, you are greeted by an army of staff that welcome you, grab your bags, and escort you to check-in ...and eventually up to your room. I think there are two camps of thought as it relates to service at high-end properties: some prefer to be almost overwhelmed by superfluous staff and high employee:guest ratios and love being surrounded by passionate employees of the resort. Others prefer to be left alone, with a helping hand available lurking about in the shadows at all times. I've had both experiences ...and overall prefer the later. This resort provided the first, and while it's not my personal preference, some may love it.

Every staffer memorizes and repeats your name at all times. Regardless of what you say or ask, employees are trained to always respond, "it's my pleasure." After day 2, it was almost a game with other guests...where we were trying to see how many times we could get a staffer to say "it's my pleasure" within a single conversation. But humor aside, the staff was good and competent... although a bit more robotic than passionate. I felt every employee I encountered was reading a script right out of a book on good customer service ...and not necessarily from the heart. Again, this isn't a bad thing...but when you stay at high-end properties consistently, it's something you pick up on.

I found my guest room to be very nice; while the bedroom area was a bit small, the bathroom was open and spacious. Furnishings in the room were upscale and the bathroom was well appointed. The bed itself was very comfortable and the room was quiet. On the panel with the air conditioning controls were additional buttons to signal "do not disturb" or "please make room", which lit up a sign in the hallways for housekeeping there. I loved this feature! The hotel is surrounded by resort-residential properties and a golf course, so it's pretty quiet...and the room views are decent. But remember, this is not an oceanfront hotel...so if you have an "ocean view", it's actually quite a distance away down the slope of the coast. There's a golf course, a town, a highway, and a Ritz Carlton resort between you and the beach.

A trend at higher-end resorts is to jack up room rates...and fold in costs that lower-end properties would charge extra for. As an example, at a recent Conrad Hotel stay, I paid a very high nightly rate...but they included limited laundry, all-you-can eat/drink minibar, internet, breakfast, and other items into the rate without extra "resort fees" or additional charges. But that is not so here, where I was surprised at exorbitant fees tacked onto a high nightly rate. There are resort fees, internet access fees, a housekeeping gratuity, a bellhop gratuity, and a very, very high parking fee ($25-$35 if you self or valet park.) Be prepared to spend over $50-75+ in incremental fees for these basics! I wouldn't mind the alacarte pricing for <$200/night rooms, but when you're paying in the $400-800/night+ range, those fees should not be there.

I found the grounds to be very well maintained; landscaping was very nice, and the pool and public areas were very well maintained. There were employees everywhere providing good service as described above.

Food was generally delicious. And while expensive, I found the food to be worth it. Every meal I had was great except for two that were simply "average"...but never did I have a poor food (or poor food service) experience.

During my stay, I heard from other guests there was a rash of crime. One gentlemen had put his notebook computer bag down at his chair and stepped out for a bit, and when he came back, his computer/bag were gone with the staff unable to offer help. I heard of others who had their cameras or computers stolen too, which alarmed me quite a bit. The police were called out to investigate, but I never heard more about what was happening. I made sure my valuables were locked up in my room if they weren't on me --the thought of having to deal with crime at this resort was very surprising.

Overall, I had a good stay. While overwhelming at times, I found the service to be good, the grounds to be excellent, and the facilities and food to be good/very good. For the room rate paid, I had hoped to have a somewhat larger room...and was disappointed with the miscellaneous fees tacked onto the bill. While I'd consider coming back here when in the Dana Point area, I'd probably give the nearby Ritz Carlton a try; it's right on the water, and for similar rates, it could be a viable option.

Room Tip: The lobby is on the 5th level; while the top floor / 6th floor may provide better views of the area...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
#5 of 22 in Laguna Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 61 reviews
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 20 in Huntington Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 2,139 reviews
Casa Laguna Inn & Spa
Casa Laguna Inn & Spa
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 955 reviews

Been to St. Regis, Monarch Beach? Share your experiences!