“Unbelievable Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Dana Point
New York City, New York
“Unbelievable Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I am going to preface this review with I spend over 200 nights a year in hotels and think I can adequately judge the top hotels. I have read the reviews below and I see some people like to complain about every little thing. This hotel is probably in the top 5 hotels I have ever stayed it. This hotel is expensive, but the quality is very high. Most guests at this hotel are well-to-do or on business. If you are frugal or counting pennies, this is not the hotel for you to stay at.

Location: The hotel is located in Dana Point. It is a nice quiet town on the water just south of Laguna Beach. It is about 20 minutes from Irvine or about 70 minutes from LAX. You defintiely need a car here as nothing is really in walking distance.

Parking: I paid $35 a night to valet park. Self parking is available but you have to pay everytime you leave the garage. Both are total rip-offs, it is not like you are parking downtown in a city. Again, if you are light of pocket , not the place for you. One thing that bothers me is that i dont carry cash so being expected to tip valets everytime I get my car is annoying and is frankly an inconvenience. I must have spent $20 in tips and finally ran out of small bills. A hotel like this should have parking included and have employees not accept tips.

Internet: The basic internet is included in the $25 per day resort charge. Another rip off ( Again this hotel is expensive). There is an upgraded internet for $5 more which I did not purchase. Just as an FYI , the basic internet was not sufficent to stream netflix videos.

Pool: Pool is very nice, there are a good amount of comfortable chairs. There is also a kids pool and a hot tub. There are plenty of pool attendants who provide free water, set up your chair etc. There is also food to be ordered by the pool.

Golf: There is an awesome golf course on the property. It is $185 for 18 holes.

Restaurants: I had breakfast at Motif and it was excellent. Service was very good. I went 5 days and it was consistently good (maybe one of the other reviewers had a bad day). If your room comes with breakfast then it is defnitely worth having. Stonehill, the fine dining restaurant is excellent. The food was great, service was impeccable and it was a lovely meal. You can eat outside and have a perfect view of the sunset around 7pm.

Service: Service is impeccable The front desk group is amazing. Sophie at the front desk is extraordinary. The bellmen are great. If you have a suite, you are assigned a St.Regis Butler. They will iron two articles of clothing for free and provide you with morning french press coffee or tea service (complimentary). My butler Bill was great! I loved him.

Cleanliness: The hotel is immaculate and well maintained. The grounds are superb. The maid service cleans the room and there is a nice turn down service. I felt very comfortable here.

Room: I stayed in a St.Regis Suite. The room retails for $865 per night. The room had two full bathrooms which was nice. Remede bath products are provided. There is a full living room. Room came equipped with a DVD player and a refrigerator for drinks etc. There are plenty of drawers and closet space so I actually fully unpacked. The main shower is excellent and there is a huge bath tub. The room has a "rich" feel to it . I had a beautiful balcony and view of the pool/golf course/ ocean.

Overall, I had a phenomenal stay and I do not say this lightly. Yes this hotel is expensive and has a resort charge and expensive valet parking. You will see below that I did not mark this hotel high on value, but I did mark it hgh on quality and service. I do feel like much of the staff expects tips constantly and because the guests are generally well to do, they expect higher than normal tips. That was what annoyed me the most. The hotel should institute a policy where tips are not expected and only accepted if a guest insists. The resort charge should be removed because frankly it is BS ( I get everything included in the resort charge for free as SPG Platinum) and parking should be free. This is a luxury hotel, it shouldnt nickel and dime guests ( Just charge more for the room). Again this is a great hotel for people who can afford it. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was very excited when I received a surprise weekend trip to this property as an anniversary gift and the St. Regis Monarch Beach exceeded all expectations.

While missing the long sweeping entryway of the Princeville property, the Italian villa style of the St. Regis Monarch Beach is breathtaking nonetheless.

We arrived early (11am) and were pleasantly surprised to find out our room was ready for check in (and we later found out there had been 6 weddings on the property that weekend). Our room was spacious, with a well appointed marble bathroom and an incredibly comfortable bed.

We had an oceanfront room on the first floor. In hindsight, I would have preferred a room on a higher floor as our view was somewhat obstructed by a walkway. Also note that in times of extreme fog, you can't see much of the ocean, but the roomy balcony is very nice nonetheless.

The pool area was gorgeous, there were plentiful lounge chairs, service was attentive and prompt and we enjoyed a leisurely lunch and a couple of cocktails while basking in the sun.

The rest of the dining was even better (separate reviews to come on a wonderful sunset dinner at Monarch Bay Club along the beach and the decadent brunch at Motif).

Service is in line with the high caliber the St. Regis brand strives to maintain, though the one minor gripe we had was not only did our request for coffee service in our room fall by the wayside (however they rushed it after we called to check on the status), unlike other St. Regis properties, butler coffee service was not complimentary (think $25+ for a large carafe of coffee).

I was exceptionally pleased with this resort and hope to return soon!

Room Tip: Try for an ocean room view on a higher floor.
Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SRMB, Executive Offices at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear BMelanie,
We are so happy that you were able to spend your anniversary with us! We are glad that you were able to enjoy so many of our amenities. Thank you for such a great review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Best Address soon!
Lawrence, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend a quiet weekend at the St Regis. While the property is beautiful we were disappointed with the level of service. The hotel has a hard time handling a full house and it was difficult to get lounges at the pool. Tennis courts were overpriced. You were also forced to use valet parking. These extra charges were just annoying. Rooms were nice. No upgrade even with platinum membership. Still a nice hotel and a very nice weekend.

Room Tip: Ask to face pool
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SRMB, Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear fredlys,

We are glad to hear you enjoyed the beauty of the property and were able to have a nice weekend despite the charges that may have come as a surprise.Please note that Self Parking is an option at $24 per night versus the overnight valet charge that is $35 per night. We do appreciate your loyalty to Starwood and hope to see you again at another time when we are able to accommodate your Platinum upgrade.
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This hotel is located at Dana Point with a private beach and a sprawling Golf course and more than one swimming pool. The huge property on the sea is picturesque. An ideal place for a family to spend a weekend. The service is good. Food is also good but pricy. But one has to pay for good things in life. One should plan to spend some time at the private beach to make the stay memorable. For celebrating occasion this could be one option.

Room Tip: You should try to get a room with sea view at higher floors,but it might cost a little more.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for such a great review! We are glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy the hotel and relax! Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you at the Best Address very soon!
Wengen, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I am well used to intercontinental travel and staying at top hotels while on business. First the good new: the buffet breakfast was excellent. Otherwise this place was annoying, starting with the ridiculous valet parking and on through the faux obsequiousness ( ie. an invitation to tip). The kind receptionist informed us we had been awarded an 'upgrade on the north side'. We assumed that, as it was an upgrade, it would have be on the north side facing south. Oh no, it was facing north. This was pure cynical business school stuff: ie. if you are selling fries, put them in a tiny tiny paper bag and make it overflow so you appear to be giving good value. Frankly we were frazzled from our trip and, just for once, didn't bother complaining. The clientele were predominantly well-heeled, wasp and remarkably conformist. We had dinner in the dimly illuminated Motif restaurant. So low was the lighting that we were unable to discern the colour of our food. This was while shivering in a very cold dining room. Prior to this we had been asked to wait for ten minutes to be seated in what was manifestly a largely empty room. The arrival of the dishes was also slow and when they turned up they were nothing special. Same for the rest of our stay.

Room Tip: If you are offered a room on the north it may well be north facing north, ie. no direct sunlight eve...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
SRMB, Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Michael W,

We are very sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant experience. Should you choose to return to the St. Regis Monarch Beach, we urge you to call ahead and let us know of your room preferences. I will be notifying Motif of your feedback, and invite you to reach out to our Executive Office at (949) 234-3301 if you would like to discuss your stay further.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I celebrated by birthday at this hotel. We arrived a bit before check in, and decided to lounge around the pool until our room was ready. The grounds, and pool area are beautiful. We were fortunate enough to stay on a clear and sunny day. Not only did we enjoy the pool while we waited for our room, but we also toured the gardens that are a few feet away.

Our room was very nice, no complaints. The only disappointment, is that we paid for an ocean view not realizing that the ocean is quite for. Instead of a view, it was more like a glimpse. Nevertheless, this is probably one of the nicest hotels that I've ever been to. It's quite pricey, but worth it for a special occasion.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Isunwin,

We are honored that you chose to spend your birthday with us, and are happy to know that it was time well spent! We hope that to have you back to celebrate another special occasion soon!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The entire stay was excellent and you cannot beat the views! The staff did everything to make our stay pleasant. The food was excellent but pricey but it is a St. Regis! Would go back. The front desk personnel were very accommodating when we requested a different room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
SRMB, Executive Office at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Donna C,

Thank you for the kind comments. I'll be sure to pass them along to our Front Office Team! We hope to have you back again soon!

Been to St. Regis, Monarch Beach? Share your experiences!