“The Very Best Large Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Dana Point
San Ramon
“The Very Best Large Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband, as a surprise, took me there for our 10 year Anniversary! It was so posh and beautiful, breath taking and superb dinning, room, pools, cabanas, reasturants and much more.

It has its own private beach and the staff takes you down to the beach. We had room service and it was beyond my expectations, the Chef is well renowned and the food was delightful! The rooms are exquisite and very clean, modern, comfortable and romantic. Golfing and sea side view!

Highly recommend going at least once in your life.....:)

Room Tip: I have been there twice, and every room is great and quite.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
SRMB, Executive Offices at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear PamF.
Congratulations on your milestone anniversary, we thank you for the kind review and allowing us to assist in the celebration of your special day. Please come back and visit us again soon. Here's to another 10 years!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This whole hotel stay was a bad experience. It started with problems with the room and escalated. The grounds are beautiful but the customer service was the worst I have ever experienced at a hotel.

We live in LA- so this hotel stay was purely to get away for a few days and enjoy the beach and the area. We also planned to spend an entire day at their spa. We have a small dog so we made sure we booked at a hotel that allowed dogs. We paid a pet fee and extra deposit as per their requirements. This is all we were told needed to be done in regard to the pet policy. The manager we spoke to gave us details about the spa and one of their restaurants on the beach. She was seemingly very helpful and enthusiastic about the hotel amenities.

When we checked in the room was dirty and didn’t have the view we were paying for. They didn’t care and simply offered a room with the exact same view on the opposite side of the courtyard. The bellhop was however very nice and even went into detail about how we should leave the do not disturb sign on the door if we left so the maid was not surprised by the dog. He even brought us a dog bed.

On our 2nd night we went to one of the hotel restaurants. We kindly informed the host of the restaurant which room we were in so if there was any problem with the dog to please let us know. The dog is well behaved and docile. There wouldn’t have been an issue but we were trying to do our part to be responsible hotel patrons. After about 5 minutes, we were kicked out of the restaurant and told to return to the room because dogs could not be left alone! How is this possible we asked, since we made sure it was ok at booking? Call the manager was our answer.

After calling the manager and waiting for a very long time to get a call back, as we are sitting hungry, we finally hear back. The customer service was awful. We were told that this was the policy and that the booking agent knows and couldn’t have told us that- we were mistaken. Why then, we asked, did the MANAGER that booked the room tell us about the beach restaurant and the spa? How would we go to the spa if the dog couldn’t be left in the room? Our answer- you are wrong about that.

Our trip was ruined and we were stuck in the hotel room that night with room service as the only option for dinner. The manager offered a $100 credit for dinner/room service that wasn’t even given at check-out.

We called to speak to the general manager after checking out to go over the issues at least 5 times over the next 2 weeks. We never got a call back from them. Only once did a “room manager” call to condescendingly ask, “Would you like to complain about anything else?” From start to finish we were told it was our fault that the pet policy was “misunderstood.” It wasn’t misunderstood, it was misinformed. This hotel was not cheap and even the promised $100 credit that we didn’t get in the first place wouldn’t have made up for the awful weekend we had here.

Room Tip: Pool view doesn't actually exist- unless you are at least 3rd floor or higher- they also told us...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
SRMB, Executive Offices at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Bebe B. - We apologize that you received incorrect information about our pet policy. Our complete pet policy can be found on our website (under the overviews tab) for any future visits. We also offer a pet sitter service as well, please check with the concierge for details.
Again we apologize for the miscommunication.

Thank you!
Los Angeles, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We've been coming to the St. Regis for years and must say this recent trip was a standout among previous standout trips. My wife and I commented on a number of occasions that it seemed they had "stepped up their game" a bit (possibly in light of the competition in the area). Regardless, we went as a family with six year old children for the weekend. The kids were met upon check-in with buckets and shovels for the beach, offered little treats, etc. Room quality and amenities were on-par with past visits and with what you'd expect from a St. Regis. But the level of kids activities and some of the personal attention from the staff made it seem a step above past trips. Kids activities included story time at 8pm with characters reading various stories followed by S'mores afterwards and kids running around playing in their large courtyard. Stonehill Tavern was great - would highly recommend it for the $$ vs. Motif. Nothing against Motif but found Stonehill's value to be far greater than Motif. Anyway, happy to help other travelers out if you have questions about past experiences there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

What a great spot to have a meeting or simply relax !

This is such a wonderful propertery , very exclusive and very high end .

The resturants were excellant and the rooms overlooking the ocean are fabulous a nd the sun sets and the surfers are riding the waves .
Golf course is challeging and yet very resort friendly.

Cannot find a bad thing to say !

Looking forward to returing ,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear JC/GC-
Thank you for your recent stay and review of the resort, we are pleased you were able to take advantage of our five-star amenities. We welcome you back soon, and wish you safe travels.
Louisville, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a business conference for my husband. But we had some couples time as well. This hotel is very luxurious. It has a very relaxing atmosphere with nice pool, hot tub, spa and gym. The restaurants are also good. The hotel has everything you need. The beach club was nice, but it is far away and you cannot drive to it, you have to take the tram. It doesn't take long, but is not super convenient. The beach area is private and secluded which is nice. The staff is very helpful and friendly and gave us great advise on good restaurants around and the valet was very quick to get our car each time we needed it. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Eveenemean-
Thank you for the honest review and recommendation of our resort. Although we are not located directly on the beach our tram service is an efficient way to access the private beach. Should you prefer to stay on the resort grounds we also offer three beautiful pools for fun and relaxation. Please visit us again soon.
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I recently spent 5 days, 4 nights at the St. Regis at Monarch Beach. It is a beautiful place, far fancier than my usual traveling digs. What do you want? Someone will get it for you, do it for you, help keep you being the happiest person on earth. Be sure to arrive with plenty of $5 bills. You will need them every time you turn around, but probably most people who stay here have plenty of discretionary income and perhaps they need $10 or $20 bills. I had a large beautiful comfortable room that looked out on a flowering tree next to a manicured lawn. I was able to eat my breakfast on the balcony most mornings. The bathroom was large and luxurious. I was pretty busy the whole time I was there, but made time for a nice soak in the tub. One oddity is that they did not replenish the toiletries so much. I actually ran out of body lotion. Also, because I arrived so late in the evening, I did not get a "tour" of the room and so could not find the electrical outlets so that I could charge my cell phone. I ended up crawling behind the giant pier mirror in the room in order to find an outlet. I had room service breakfasts each morning and each one was delicious. Expensive, yes, but who cares? There were some small housekeeping issues (one day my room was not made up by 3:30 when I wanted to both nap and then get ready for dinner -- it was inconvenient but not the end of the world) but mostly the housekeeping staff did a great job and was nearly invisible. There is a lovely turn-down service in the evening. The grounds are spectacular, the food at the restaurants, especially Stonehill Tavern, is very very good. The beach is wonderful and the army of young men there will set you up with umbrellas, chairs, towels, and even sand toys for the little ones. I wish they brought you coffee, but alas. The service staff I encountered was friendly and eager to help. I was there over Memorial Day weekend and so things were very busy and one huge wedding more or less dominated everything for two full days. I heard a number of "This is my first day here so I don't know" answers to mundane questions, but there was always someone who did know the answer. The layout of the hotel is unbelievably confusing. I don't know who on earth thought the design was a good idea. I was glad that I checked my bill because there were errors, but these were corrected without a problem. I hope that I will be able to return some day and so will start to buy my lottery tickets right now.

Room Tip: I was advised that next time to ask for a 6th or 7th floor room on the south side. This was in resp...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SRMB, Executive Offices at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Priscilla47-
Thank you for your recent stay and your review of the resort, we are pleased you were able to enjoy so many of our five-star amenities.

Come back and visit soon.
San Rafael, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The service was excellent from the Valet, front desk staff, restaurant servers, and beach and pool attendants.

The room was well equipped except for outlets for all our new electronic devices!

It was hard to get to the beach. There was a long wait for the tram at the hotel and the beach. They need more trams.

We liked the lawn and pool areas and the golf course.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
SRMB, Executive Offices at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear VickiKal
Thank you for your recent review and your stay with us. For future visits please note that although not always easy to find the outlets in each room are located on the side of the desk in each guestroom and during the summer when the weather is beautiful and we have a high demand for the beach we do run more than one tram to the beach - we apologize that you had to wait, I will let guest services know about your experience.

Been to St. Regis, Monarch Beach? Share your experiences!