“Luxury resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Dana Point
adelaide
“Luxury resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed for two nights but in reality we never wanted to leave. This is a truly stunning property that actually does deliver all that it promises. The service is excellent and efficient from the minute you step inside. The rooms are very well appointed and beautifully maintained. This resort is luxury from start to finish and does not come cheaply...however that is to be expected when staying at a luxury resort. The only criticism would be that the breakfast menu can be overly expensive when ordering a la carte ...however a $20 continental breakfast which is excellent is available but is not immediately offered.
We would definitely like o return for a longer stay one day .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SRMB, Executive Offices at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear jshAdelaide-
Thank you for your kind words about the resort, and your recent stay with us. When you come back to visit us, be sure to visit Crust our fifth floor coffee shop for less expensive breakfast options and a la carte items. Safe Travels!

1,102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

... the world would be a better place.

I had the privilege of staying at the St. Regis a couple of weeks ago for a conference and was impressed by the attention to even the smallest detail by the staff.

The St. Regis staff was first class - from the swiftness of check-in, friendly valets (who didn't give me any grief when I forgot to give them the key fob for my keyless car), shoeshine service that remarkably on-time with my shoes. Even the event staff we had for a private event my firm held on-site was top notch, being nothing but kind even when we went over our designated timeframe while entertaining clients.

The little details are what separates a good hotel from a great one, and the St. Regis did not disappoint. I look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Beware of the rooms closest to the elevator on the south wing of the first floor - though the staff...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is a beautiful property. The St. Regis is surrounded by a beautiful golf course as well as beautiful high end properties. It is technically not oceanfront, however if you are lucky enough to stay in any of the suites that are furthest away from the front desk means you are closest to the ocean. The check-in was smooth and was greeted by our butler in our rooms. He was well trained and yet not superficial. This extra perk made you feel very special and pampered. The butler staff made sure that my coffee service every morning was served in front of the fireplace as I requested. The front desk met all of my requests with ease and charm. Service is understated - the staff is there without being in your face.

The oceanfront restaurant is the best place to really enjoy your ocean view as well as any activities - surfing, running on the private beach as well as just sitting and enjoying the view. There is a large golf cart that seats quite a few people that will transport you to the beach area. The service at Monarch Bay Club was excellent. The food was fair. I wish I had another chance to see if this was just an off day. Michael Mina's Stonehill Tavern is a beautiful restaurant with an excellent wine selection. Our group opted for the Tasting Menu. I would have enjoyed the experience if the sommelier wasn't so busy and so the presentation felt rushed. However, the pairing choices were all excellent.

It seems that St. Regis has several events such as weddings and the weekend we were there, the wedding party was being filmed for a reality type show - it was fascinating to watch the process. Overall a wonderful experience and will most definately stay there again...next time extending just a few more days!!

Room Tip: Our room was located on the 3rd floor. Upon checking in - you are actually on a higher floor - I be...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear LynnD13travels
Thank you for your recent stay with us and your detailed review. We are thrilled you were able to experience most of the wonderful attributes of the resort. Please come back and stay with us again soon - perhaps you can visit our world-class spa or dine on your own at Stonehill Tavern. We welcome it!

Safe Travels!
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We did a quick overnight stay here. I typically stay here a few times a year because I love it so much and it again did not disappoint. I upgraded to a suite this time and I must stay I didn't think it was worth the extra cost. Aside from our butler greeting us when we arrived, we didn't need his services. I can see it being helpful if you are there for a week or so and need them to help you plan activities. The suite was very spacious and we arrived in time for an amazing sunset. I look forward to my next trip back in September.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington Heights
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The view, the staff, the service, the rooms. It is all top notch and well worth the price. I came here for business, but all I could think about was coming back with my wife. The perfect place to just relax and recharge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SRMB, Executive Offices at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear TSPH02-
Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us, we hope you come back soon and please bring your wife! We would delight in spoiling you both.
Milford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was my second stay at the Monarch Beach location and I enjoyed it just as much as the first time. My husband and I stayed together while on vacation and then I extended my stay for work purposes. Both experiences exceeded my expectations. We enjoyed lunch at the Monarch Beach Club and the beach staff was very attentive in getting chairs etc. set up the way we preferred. The grounds are beautiful and all of the staff were informative and helpful. I had to laugh when they had our orchid replaced the third night we stayed because it was no longer up to standards.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Stephanie K.
Thank you for your recent stay with us and your review, we love sharing great reviews with our associates and will send your kudos with our beach club attendants and housekeeping staff. Please come back and stay with us again soon.
miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the St Regis Monarch Beach for 5 nights. Overall, this property is lovely. The landscaping, decor, spacious rooms and amenities are beautiful as would be expected at a 5 star luxury property. The staff was friendly and accommodating. As others state, this resort does not sit right on the beach, however, I did find the view stunning. We didn't golf or try the StoneHill Tavern, however the course looked nice and we heard rave reviews about the restaurant.

The Pros:

Beautiful rooms and decor.
Highly recommend the 2 hour beach hike!!!
Sit on the patio and enjoy the view with cocktails, breakfast...

The Cons:

Shuttle to the beach resort took far too long and would be filled up. Then you get stuck waiting another 40 minutes. I missed one shuttle my group was on as it was filled up. My husband back at the resort missed the next one as it was filled up. We could not meet up for nearly an hour and finally, he skipped the beach. There should be 2 shuttles - one at the beach restaurant and one at the main hotel back and forth at all times.

Drinks at $18 - $20 per cocktail were weak. I live on South Beach. I understand this price range, however for this price the cocktails should be artesian and have good amounts of high quality liquor. The drinks at the lobby bar were basically 1 shot of gin in a tall ice filled glass for $18. The Classic Bloody Mary on the Bloody Mary menu was uninspiring. I do however recommend the Strawberry Lemonade at the pool - very refreshing.

One day the valet was so backed up that people were waiting 45 minutes for their cars. We only waited about 20 minutes or so but others were there much longer.

There was something missing in the overall vibe of the hotel. This may be one part Southern California laid back vibe but the other part is truly a lack of energy. Can't exactly describe it but felt a bit drab despite the beauty. Were the main areas missing a sound? A scent? I don't know but I have stayed at many, many luxury properties and this one just had something not quite in place.

Despite all of that, I would stay here again. Stunning hotel, take the hike, go to Laguna often. Car not necessary but would recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear sobemama-
Thank you for your recent stay and your review of the property. We are pleased our amenities, surroundings, and expansive guestrooms were pleasing to you. Please come back to visit us again soon to experience Stonehill Tavern our Michael Mina restaurant as well as our award-winning Robert Trent Jones Jr. golf course - as its one of only a few courses with ocean views directly from the holes!

Been to St. Regis, Monarch Beach? Share your experiences!