“Beautiful Stay But stay out of the Ocean” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Dana Point
Texas
“Beautiful Stay But stay out of the Ocean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We just stayed 1 night at the St. Regis- which was too bad because I could get used to it there! There were some little things that I didn't like that were a bit of a surprise to me given the status of this hotel but you have to decide do you overlook them b/c of the quality of the rooms/grounds/etc.
We are SPG Platinum guests and we were upgraded to an Executive suite which was HUGE and the bathroom was absolutely like none other I've ever seen! We had a butler but I don't think the butler service was that good. He said he would bring us his personal restaurant recommendations and never showed up with them. When we called about it they just sent up the standard list they give everyone. We were disappointed b/c he seemed to be so ready to give us his PERSONAL list! We had set up a time for tea and hot cocoa to be delivered the next morning at 7am but later than night we realized the time change was taking place and I called to cancel that 7am delivery and told them I would just call them instead. Well, at 7am there was a butler outside our door knocking- I guess he didn't get the message. I was disappointed in the butler service for sure! They also kept calling us by another guest's last name every time we called them. Finally they changed it manually when we asked if that guest was going to pay our bill. So those are little things but when spending this kind of money at this kind of hotel you would think the personal touches would be better. The rooms are amazing, the pools/grounds are amazing. The only other warning is the Ocean in front of the Monarch Bay Club. We had lunch which was delicious at the club and then the kids went to play in the waves and a man w/ the hotel told them to stay out of the water as there is bacteria in the water. Evidently, the beach area owned by the St. Regis is contaminated w/ raw sewage flowing out to sea from inland. You can see where it flows in. So I thought that was very disappointing and should be told to people up front. So now you know! YOu can go down the beach on the other side of the flow of water and be safe. It's not a big deal but still not expected at this type of resort. It's a great stay just don't expect to swim in the ocean- stick with the pool up by the hotel. Valet gets very very busy on weekends.

Room Tip: Don't play in ocean at Monarch Bay Club, Rooms are amazingly comfortable, front desk staff was a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SRMB, Executive Offices at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for posting your response Sparky8188, we appreciate the feedback about the areas of opportunity within our Butler Service, but are pleased you enjoyed the room and surrounding areas. Just to clarify, the water running into the ocean is absolutely not raw sewage - it is natural water that runs off of the hill above the beach, please note this water is in fact treated and although it wouldn't hurt you we don't recommend frolicking in it. Especially when there is a large beautiful ocean to take advantage of. We hope you visit us again and apologize you received false information about our beaches.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Loved staying at the St Regis ---- food was wonderful, the rooms outstanding, the staff impeccable - would stay here again in a second! Meeting rooms, accoustics, receptions were lovely. Close to Laguana Beach. Rooms were gorgeous .

Eldersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

A wonderful hotel for a weekend or a week! Best hotel staff we have encountered in years--they ALL go out of their way to help you! The service here is incredible--like stepping back in time! Had breakfast in our room and it was so lovely. Lunch and dinner at other locations on the property were equally wonderful! The sunsets were extraordinary and being able to walk to the beach (or take their trolley) and eat lunch or dinner at their private beach restaurant is a plus! Want a quick getaway? This is the place.
Stayed here while my husband attended a business conference.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and higher rather than the lower floors. Unless you want a patio so you...
Sunny Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was a guest at the St Regis at the end of Feb/beginning of March for a business conference, which I bookended with a few personal nights.

This is one of my favorite resorts, anywhere. The property is spotless, staff professional, helpful and friendly, incredible bed and bedding, spectacular bath. Every meal (including the business functions) were delicious, fresh and had a little something extra to have them stand out.

I would HIGHLY recommend this resort over the highly pretentious and overrated Montage. The Ritz Carlton down the street is also wonderful - just different that the St Regis.

I took advantage of dining at the private Monarch Bay Beach Club for on of the dinners and I also highly recommend it!

Pool, golf, spa were all wonderful.

Of course, there is a price to be paid for such luxury and service, but if you can afford to treat yourself while in SoCal, spend it here.

baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have travelled extensively and this is the most opulent hotel I have ever stayed in. It is something out of a movie. The views are fantastic as are the pools (which I could not use because the weather was too cool). The rooms are wonderfully appointed as are all areas of this fine hotel.

Dear LadyLBaltimore-
Thank you sincerely for your complimentary post, we love when our guest's expectations are exceeded. Please come visit us again when the weather is warmer and you can swim in one of our three gorgeous pools!
Goshen, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This resort was entirely uninspiring. We arrived early at 1pm and were told the room was not ready. We had booked using the Amex fine hotels program which advertises early check in(12 pm) when available- no such luck. We were not offered any place to stay or change our clothes while we waited for the room, nor were we're given a resort map. We were summarily dismissed from the registration counter. We made our way down to the pool area for lunch. At the pool we waited a good 20 minutes before our order was taken from a limited and uninspiring menu. When the food arrived we were given plastic utensils that looked as if they good easily snap with a minute paper towel. The club sandwich was made of processed turkey and the worst hotel sandwich I have had in a long time. By 3pm we had still not heard from the front desk clerk about check in so I went back to the desk. I was told rather crisply that check in was not until 4 pm and they were "fully committed". To poor service, I guess. I begged, pleaded and cajoled and the agent finally found an available room. At the room the bell cap asked if we needed anything. I said yes- we'd like the sofa bed made up for our son at 7 pm with hypoallergenic pillows. I repeated the request when the "butler" showed up. We returned from dinner at 9 pm and - surprise- the sofa bed had not been made up. At the fitness center there was no one around to ask where the headphones were or to help with the machines. This hotels is poorly staffed and the front desk has an attitude and the food was the worst we have found in Southern California. Our experience at this hotel completely soured us on the St. Regis brand.

Room Tip: Don't bother at all
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Maxstein-
Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing the challenges you experience during your recent stay. We value your loyalty as an Amex Luxury Member and are thrilled to accommodate early check-ins when they are available. Your comments about the lack of turndown, lack of fitness center staff and less than satisfying food at the pool are extremely valuable and have been shared with our team. Unfortunately by law we can only serve on plastic ware at the pool. We hope you will reconsider your feelings toward the entire St. Regis brand, should you decided to visit us again please reach out to our Executive Offices directly at 949-234-3301.
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We booked a large St. Regis suite for 7 nights at a rate of closed to $1000 per night for our spring break vacation. We are frequent travelers and have stayed at many fine hotels around the world. As loyal SPG member we chose the St. Regis in Monarch Beach. We chose the ocean front St. Regis suite. The suite was supposed to come with butler service as well. At the time of booking i requested a roll a way bed for my two and a half year old son. On the day of my check in my butler Steven informed me that he has scheduled for a roll a way bed and to have the room turn over at 6:30 pm each night to allow the kids a chance to go to bed early so they have enough energy for Disneyland and Sea World. On the first day we asked if they can turned the room an hour later due to time change but no one ever came back. By the time we got back it was too late and my two children have to use a towel for a blanket and a sofa cushion as a pillow. On the second day my wife specifically called and asked for the room to be turned over before heading out to dinner. At 10 pm when we came back to the room no one ever showed up to turn over the room or provide a roll away bed or give us any pillows or blankets for my children. Once again my children now have to wait close to an hour before they can go to bed. I am sorry but if this is the best treatment they can offer to their ocean front suite, i would hate to see what they do if you just get a regular room. I still have five more nights at this miserable place and contemplating moving my family to the Ritz. This place is terrible for family on vacation.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Russell L-

We are aware of your issues and are taking them very seriously. The butlers will be working to ensure that the remainder of your trip is a flawless one. Thank you for your stay and your loyalty.

The Executive Team
St. Regis Monarch Beach

Been to St. Regis, Monarch Beach? Share your experiences!