We had hesitation about this place because of all the bad reviews. We went over Christmas break for 4 nights with a little kid in tow. We got upgraded twice to a resort view / ocean view. The rooms were smaller than I expected. The bathrooms are very nice and spacious. I have been to other 5 star places and the rooms are usually much bigger. We had a king bed size room. Staying there for almost a week you get to feel a bit crowded in the room.
The resort itself is awesome provided you like swimming, beach, and golf. That is about it. If you don't like those things then don't come here and spend the money. You will get bored awfully quick. The kid's club was closed over the Christmas holidays so can't comment on that. Also the golf course was perfect for little kids after 3pm. I was able to play for $60 and my son who is under 5 was able to play for free and able to move around with no one around us. I don't think you will be able to do that during the summer but for winter it was perfect.
The food at the restaurants are very pricey but the quality was by far above average. We enjoyed eating at all the establishments and enjoyed the Private Beach area the most. They set up your chairs etc for you while you just sink back and relax and bring your drinks down from the bar area. The outdoor patio of the Monarch Beach Club is amazing and perfect place to watch the sunset.
I will say the service is great from the standpoint of listening and then trying to do the best. The execution of the service which is usually done by someone else is hit or miss.
Overall....a great place to stay. I am certain if you are here for the summer months it is probably way too crowded. That is why we like to go to these places when it is not crazy and we can just enjoy a nice relaxing resort. This place did the job for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the Pacific Ocean stands The St. Regis Monarch Beach. Crowned with the Forbes Five-Star, AAA Five-Diamond Award, the resort delivers an experience beyond expectation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Starwood, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your St. Regis, Monarch Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. Regis, Monarch Beach Hotel Dana Point
- St Regis Dana Point
- St Regis Resort Monarch Beach