“Luxury Stay.. but not a quiet stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Dana Point
Phoenix, Arizona
“Luxury Stay.. but not a quiet stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed there for a convention for 2 nights. Room is beautiful, nice amenities. Reception staff is very nice and professional. Our room was on the main floor and unfortunately a wedding party was partying it up late that night right above us on 2nd floor. Hardly any sleep that night. My husband had to make 2 calls to hotel staff to quiet them down around 2am. I'm sure another room on upper floor maybe facing the ocean would've been better. For an luxury hotel, the walls are pretty thin. Grounds are beautiful- perfect for weddings. Hotel was bustling with guests and visitors. They do a good job catering for corporate events. Try the hotel bar on upper deck overlooking courtyard and ocean for a sunset drink. Takes a while to get to the beach- you need to catch a hotel shuttle to cross you over the PCH but it's efficient. Would consider returning only for a better room location.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing the side courtyard where conference rooms are located. We woke 4am to sounds...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
MDZair-

Thank you for your review of the St Regis Monarch Beach. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your convention at the Resort. We hope that you will return in the future and take advantage of one of the many rooms with an ocean view.

997 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The property is beautiful. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious. The food at the restaurants was really good. Most of all, the service was incredible! I usually don't write reviews but the people at this property were so amazing that I wanted to highlight it. They made the difference in our trip. I arrived with a broken ankle. The bellman, Matt, realized it when he was taking us to our room. He suggested a room change since our room was so far from the elevator that I would have to walk quite a distance. Then he went to the front desk changed our room and brought us new keys within minutes so that our room would be close to the elevator. Then he unloaded our luggage and went to find bags and ice for my ankle that would last me through the night. Then every night after that, when i returned from dinner there would be bags and ice in my room even though I had not requested it. Mike, the hotel ambassador was amazing also. He found out that we were there for my friend's birthday and he personally brought us champagne, chocolate cover strawberries and a had written card to us pool side. When we returned from dinner that evening, the same was also delivered to our room! Finally, Chris at the front desk accomodated us when we wanted to stay longer and invited additional friends to join us and needed an extra room for which we did not have a reservation. He just made it happen and even honored our special rate for our friends room also. AMAZING....I'm already thinking about when I will be able to return!

Dameshia D.-

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We look forward to you returning in the future and hope you can take advantage of the other wonderful things the Resort has to offer.

The Executive Staff
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Spectacular property just as described. I love the location, close to Dana Point, Laguna Beach, and the Anaheim attractions, not to mention golf, the beaches and South Coast Mall- I know the area well and this is a great place to be based for a So. Cal vacation. Easy access and a short, easy drive from John Wayne airport (Santa Ana).
Gorgeous public areas, all very elegant.
Gardens and pool very nicely laid out - it is 'winter', but still looked appealing.
Bedroom was beautifully furnished: linens and bed were very comfortable. Had a pretty view over the pool towards the ocean. Bathroom was spacious and well equipped.
Not really walking distance to the beach unless you want a hike. Is there a shuttle?
Staff were v. pleasant.
The only issue is the $. The room rate is not expensive for a property of this calibre, but there is a resort charge, $25.00, AND a valet charge, $35.00, not to mention all the local taxes, which are minimal. My iPad dropped the internet constantly.
For a short stay I'd seriously consider somewhere cheaper, just because of the extra charges, but over a longer period then $35.00 becomes negligible.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Chwarae422-

Thank you for your recent review of The St Regis Monarch Beach. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent trip to the Resort. As far as the charges, prior to booking your room you are notified that the hotel has a daily resort charge of $25.00 that includes the spa facilities, high-speed internet access, as well as toll free and local phone calls. We hope that you will return to the Resort in the future and take advantage of the many amenities.

houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Loved St. Regis Service from the moment we arrived for my Birthday weekend with friends. We are so looking forward to returning to the St. Regis on another trip soon.

Matt the bell man was so wonderfully helpful and knowledgeable with the resort. Matt went out of his way for us. Matt hand delivered ice every evening to our room for a guest in our party with a broken ankle. Matt also helped to extend our stay from one day to three days. We loved the hotel and service so much we stayed longer than originally planned.

Michael Mettlille the hotel ambassador was a delight and provided us with white glove service with champagne and strawberries for my birthday celebration. Michael greeted all guests with was welcoming and positive attitude. Micahel is a great ambassador and does a phenomenal job to get to know guests and makes everyone feel special and at home.

Chris at the check in desk was also wonderful. Chris was accommodating and helpful. Chris always had a smile on his face and helped us with checkout and splitting up of our bill.

The property grounds are absolutely beautiful and the restaurant by the beach is a must.

los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at St Regis monarch beach overnight since we were there for a wedding. Our room was great, the view was ok so will ask for a nicer view next time. It is a wonderful location for a wedding. Sunday brunch on the patio a must.

• Stayed December 2012
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
NoraLovesLA-

We are happy to hear that you were pleased with the wedding at The St. Regis Monarch Beach and got a chance to enjoy Sunday brunch on the patio. We hope that you will return in the future and take advantage of the many amenities the Resort has to offer.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Staff at check in and checkout was great. Housekeepers were excellent. Turned down service was good but inconsistent. Weather card was there one day, loved the candy. Nice touch.
It was tastefully decorated, elegant public area, beautiful pool and fountain, picturesque ground. Conference rooms, ballroom were elegant except one room on 5th floor on south side had a ceiling tile appeared to be waiting for a fall. Based on photos and description I was expecting a waterfront resort but ocean was about a mile away.
Room was oversize, furniture was excellent, beds were comfortable, HVAC was adequate, TV, Phone, Clock, CD Player was good. Bathroom was oversized, tub was great and so does shower. Water temperature and flow was excellent. Walkway to room between the bath room appeared small relative to size of the room. Balcony was good but not much of a view there.
This is a five star resort so expectations were high it almost met except the following.
Electric outlets were in-adequate, I had hard time plugging my laptop and cell phone in a overloaded power strip behind the night stand.
Remote control was one star in a five star resort.
Towels were tired.
Door lock was awful and must be repaired.
Overall the resort is pleasant and staff is friendly contrary to other reviews. My expectations were high and it did not meet, so I rated a notch bellow to 4 star.

Room Tip: Upper level rooms with either courtyard or ocean view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
UpperCapeResident-

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to hear that the staff met your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay overall. We will do our best to work on the issues that you mentioned. We hope that you will return to the Resort in the future.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Let me start out with the good because there was good. The hotel is very elegant looking and classy. The Sunday brunch was amazing and the best I have ever seen. Everything you can imagine was there and not only was it there, it was the best of the best! Being a St. Regis that is what I expected and what one would expect when paying close to $1000 a night. BUT NO SIR! The brunch is where the excellence stopped!

The ENTIRE staff of the hotel were rued and demeaning.

I am a member of SPG gold and JP Morgan Palladium which was is suppose to be VIP partner of theirs. I got treated liked crap at check in and triple talked that I was getting a upgrade. The host was so glad to tell me a got a 5x upgrade. BUT, I explained that is the suite I paid for, how is that an upgrade? It was explained to me instead of the garden view I would get a gold course view...I asked whats the difference in the room for this 5x upgrade, nothing but the view. Fine, I got to the room - it was nice and as expected but for the torn rough towels, the view of a trailer park, and the headlights from cars glaring in your windows. Maybe when you go to a "top" resort that is what you expect, but sorry not me, I didn't realize I paid for the servant quarters. The butler service...don't get fooled, its room service with a suit...lol. Instead of saying operator when you dial 0 they say butler service. Seriously?

We sought to have dinner in Stonehill, their Michael Mina restuarant. We were told there was a 30 minute wait, so we waited patiently. After 40 minutes past with us standing there we were told it would just be a couple more minutes. While we waited no one pasted us once to leave. Once we walked in it was EMPTY! That wasn't the only joke on us. It took another 16 minutes to get a glass of water, yes we timed it! We got the water after we flailed my arms. The food was nothing but average and the famous jidori chicken as visibly over cooked and dry. After the waitress came over to ask how everything was, we explained the chicken was dry, she gave a sad look said sorry and walked away! Unacceptable for a TGI Fridays and especially unacceptable for a St. Regis at the unacceptable price. If food is average and service sucks, what was I paying for????

But that is the apparently the modo of the hotel. Everyone politely asks how is everything, but when you tell them 'not good' instead of asking how they can fix it, they give a sad look and don't ask or care how they can fix it.

At check out - same thing didn't care in the least that my stay sucked when I expressed it. He didn't even ask why!!! BECAUSE THEY DON'T CARE!

Check your bill twice - they made several "mistakes" on my bill. Obviously not in my favor. They just happen to forget my credits from my credit card company...

UNLESS YOU LIKE BOOKING SUITES IN EXPENSIVE HOTELS AND LIKE GETTING TREATED LIKE A BUM THAT HAS TO GO AROUND THE BACK FOR STALE BREAD, THERE IS A RITZ DOWN THE BLOCK - BE WARNED, STAY THERE, NOT HERE!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in the resort view which was a view of some trailer park in the distance - Chose the ocean...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Mattjb24-

We are sorry to hear about your recent stay at the Resort. Suite Award points are issued by SPG and apply to executive suites and unfortunately in this case the St. Regis suites were not part of the program. As far as the wait time with dinner, we will be mentioning this to management to make sure this does not happen again. We appreciate your review and will do our best to fix the issues.

St Regis Monarch Beach

Been to St. Regis, Monarch Beach? Share your experiences!