“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Dana Point
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Staff at check in and checkout was great. Housekeepers were excellent. Turned down service was good but inconsistent. Weather card was there one day, loved the candy. Nice touch.
It was tastefully decorated, elegant public area, beautiful pool and fountain, picturesque ground. Conference rooms, ballroom were elegant except one room on 5th floor on south side had a ceiling tile appeared to be waiting for a fall. Based on photos and description I was expecting a waterfront resort but ocean was about a mile away.
Room was oversize, furniture was excellent, beds were comfortable, HVAC was adequate, TV, Phone, Clock, CD Player was good. Bathroom was oversized, tub was great and so does shower. Water temperature and flow was excellent. Walkway to room between the bath room appeared small relative to size of the room. Balcony was good but not much of a view there.
This is a five star resort so expectations were high it almost met except the following.
Electric outlets were in-adequate, I had hard time plugging my laptop and cell phone in a overloaded power strip behind the night stand.
Remote control was one star in a five star resort.
Towels were tired.
Door lock was awful and must be repaired.
Overall the resort is pleasant and staff is friendly contrary to other reviews. My expectations were high and it did not meet, so I rated a notch bellow to 4 star.

Room Tip: Upper level rooms with either courtyard or ocean view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
UpperCapeResident-

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to hear that the staff met your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay overall. We will do our best to work on the issues that you mentioned. We hope that you will return to the Resort in the future.

St Regis Monarch Beach

1,103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Let me start out with the good because there was good. The hotel is very elegant looking and classy. The Sunday brunch was amazing and the best I have ever seen. Everything you can imagine was there and not only was it there, it was the best of the best! Being a St. Regis that is what I expected and what one would expect when paying close to $1000 a night. BUT NO SIR! The brunch is where the excellence stopped!

The ENTIRE staff of the hotel were rued and demeaning.

I am a member of SPG gold and JP Morgan Palladium which was is suppose to be VIP partner of theirs. I got treated liked crap at check in and triple talked that I was getting a upgrade. The host was so glad to tell me a got a 5x upgrade. BUT, I explained that is the suite I paid for, how is that an upgrade? It was explained to me instead of the garden view I would get a gold course view...I asked whats the difference in the room for this 5x upgrade, nothing but the view. Fine, I got to the room - it was nice and as expected but for the torn rough towels, the view of a trailer park, and the headlights from cars glaring in your windows. Maybe when you go to a "top" resort that is what you expect, but sorry not me, I didn't realize I paid for the servant quarters. The butler service...don't get fooled, its room service with a suit...lol. Instead of saying operator when you dial 0 they say butler service. Seriously?

We sought to have dinner in Stonehill, their Michael Mina restuarant. We were told there was a 30 minute wait, so we waited patiently. After 40 minutes past with us standing there we were told it would just be a couple more minutes. While we waited no one pasted us once to leave. Once we walked in it was EMPTY! That wasn't the only joke on us. It took another 16 minutes to get a glass of water, yes we timed it! We got the water after we flailed my arms. The food was nothing but average and the famous jidori chicken as visibly over cooked and dry. After the waitress came over to ask how everything was, we explained the chicken was dry, she gave a sad look said sorry and walked away! Unacceptable for a TGI Fridays and especially unacceptable for a St. Regis at the unacceptable price. If food is average and service sucks, what was I paying for????

But that is the apparently the modo of the hotel. Everyone politely asks how is everything, but when you tell them 'not good' instead of asking how they can fix it, they give a sad look and don't ask or care how they can fix it.

At check out - same thing didn't care in the least that my stay sucked when I expressed it. He didn't even ask why!!! BECAUSE THEY DON'T CARE!

Check your bill twice - they made several "mistakes" on my bill. Obviously not in my favor. They just happen to forget my credits from my credit card company...

UNLESS YOU LIKE BOOKING SUITES IN EXPENSIVE HOTELS AND LIKE GETTING TREATED LIKE A BUM THAT HAS TO GO AROUND THE BACK FOR STALE BREAD, THERE IS A RITZ DOWN THE BLOCK - BE WARNED, STAY THERE, NOT HERE!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in the resort view which was a view of some trailer park in the distance - Chose the ocean...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Mattjb24-

We are sorry to hear about your recent stay at the Resort. Suite Award points are issued by SPG and apply to executive suites and unfortunately in this case the St. Regis suites were not part of the program. As far as the wait time with dinner, we will be mentioning this to management to make sure this does not happen again. We appreciate your review and will do our best to fix the issues.

St Regis Monarch Beach
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The St Regis Monarch Beach is a exquisite property in California. It is one of my favorite hotels anywhere. I absolutely love the style and architecture of this property. The hotel grounds and pool with its magnificent fountains and manicured gardens are reminiscent of a Luxurious European Villa. The property has an extreme WOW factor from the moment you pull into the gate.

The rooms are spacious and perfectly appointed. Everything is exactly as you would expect here at the St Regis.The only drawback for me is that its not directly on the beach, however direct beach access is a short stroll through the beautiful property or by golf cart. The hotel more than makes up for its proximity by adding extra detail and luxurious surroundings everywhere you look. I love this place and will revisit over and over!!

Room Tip: I like the rooms on higher floors with direct view of the pool area and fountains.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Peter F.-

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at The St. Regis Monarch Beach and look forward to you returning in the future!

chicago, illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

One would not think that a five star resort could be both family oriented and offer adult experiences.

The ST Regis in Monarch Beach is the exception. They treat each guest as a precious pearl.

The restaurant quality is surprisingly good. From upscale to a Starbucks like cozy nook.

the pool and beach attendants are there to make your experience fantastic. To get to the beach one must take a shuttle. At first we thought this was not such a fun thing. It is about 5 minute ride. However, It became an adventure. The beach club dining was great.

We took our married kids and grandchildren. The rooms are pricey but not out of line for the quality, size and amenity of the resort and the room itself was very lovely.

Tip: Try to get a pool facing room as far from the lobby as possible. Those offer ocean views.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chuckles55-

Thank you for your recent review of the St. Regis Monarch Beach. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope you and your family will be back soon.

San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here for the first time this past weekend with wife and 2 small kids. First let me say this is a beautiful hotel. It feel and looks exactly like the st regis in Mallorca, Spain. Great pools. Especially great kids pools, where our kids played with Torri Spelling and her kids. Anyway.

I wrote them ahead of time to tell them it was my 3-year-olds birthday and to ask for a platinum upgrade -- if available. A very nice "reservation butler" called me and told me they only upgrade Platinums to better views -- not suites, but, she said, they would confirm an upgrade for us ahead of time for the special occasion. A very generous offer. And i immediately saw the upgrade to executive suite reflected in my spg app. We checked in the next day and, of course, i hear "we have upgraded you to a nice king view room." I ask about my suite and they say they don't upgrade platinums. I mention the reservation butler i spoke with and they claimed to not know this woman -- even though I showed them her email. Any way, they "found" an executive suite so all was well -- but annoying to have to go through this.

We checked in around 9pm. Finally got to room. The executive suite is beautiful. Just one room, but nice and big with a fantastic bathroom. What you'd expect from st regis. Very nice. However, that night, after putting the kids to bed, our door buzzer rings at 10:30pm waking the kids. I open the door and it's some hotel fool bringing us a small birthday tart -- for my 3 year-old at 10:30pm??? Ahh, nice touch, but not st regis service. Just dumb.

I should say, the next morning they brought a small teddy bear and ballons. A very sweet touch. Also, when I told them at the restaurant they brought chocolate chip pancakes all decorated. So overall, I think they did a great job making our son feel special. Some toys even required a screwdriver, and our butler helped sort that out for us.

We will definitely come back for a quick weekend get-a-way. A couple of annoying hiccups for a 5-star hotel, but this has to be one of the nicest spg properties in the continental US.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Mpolatin-

We are so sorry to hear about the few hiccups that occurred at your recent stay at The St. Regis Monarch Beach but we are glad you enjoyed your overall stay. We hope you and your family will return in the future.

La Habra, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This property is set on a hill overlooking the ocean. We enjoyed 80+ degree days in late October!
Check in is easy... but no upgrades were available for starwood gold members... which seems to be the norm for this program. Our room was nice and was well stocked with amenities. We overlooked the pool and had a peekaboo ocean view from the balcony. Staff is attentive but not overbearing. The spa is excellent.... clean... very relaxing. Although this is a beach resort... the walk from the hotel to the beach is further than most would feel comfortable with... so they do have a golf cart type shuttle service to transport you back and forth. We did encounter a bit of a line (and some rude line cutters) which translated to a 30 minute wait.
We tried 3 different restaurants on the property. We like Stonehill Tavern the most... but all were excellent. They have a private restaurant on the beach that I would highly recommend for its view and intimacy.
The pool is a salt water system heated comfortably. Although I don't golf... many guests were out enjoying the golf course and ideal weather.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Brad L.-

We are so happy to hear that you got a chance to come out to The St. Regis Monarch Beach and enjoy the sunny California weather. We are glad you had a pleasant stay and got a chance to take advantage of the many wonderful amenities the Resort has to offer. We hope you will be back again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This was one of the most impressive resorts I have been to. My husband and I spent half of our honeymoon at the St.Regis Dana point, and everything was amazing. It was definitely an off-peak time, as the resort seemed quiet aside from hosting some meetings and events during the week, but when we arrived Saturday night, the bar was crowded, there was free live music & everyone, us included, was having a great time. It was also very nice to share the private beach with only 1 other couple. I felt that the staff were all super nice & helpful, and it seemed like they thought of everything. We were upgraded to a pool facing room with a balcony, which was a must- having a view of the courtyard, pool and ocean was one of our favorite parts. I hope that we will be able to visit again, as I was sad to leave we had such a great time.

Room Tip: Pool view a must.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Kcasey6-

We are so happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your honeymoon at The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We hope to see you again in the future, congratulations on the wedding!

St. Regis Monarch Beach

Been to St. Regis, Monarch Beach? Share your experiences!