“Great Family Get-a-Way” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Dana Point
San Francisco
“Great Family Get-a-Way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here for the first time this past weekend with wife and 2 small kids. First let me say this is a beautiful hotel. It feel and looks exactly like the st regis in Mallorca, Spain. Great pools. Especially great kids pools, where our kids played with Torri Spelling and her kids. Anyway.

I wrote them ahead of time to tell them it was my 3-year-olds birthday and to ask for a platinum upgrade -- if available. A very nice "reservation butler" called me and told me they only upgrade Platinums to better views -- not suites, but, she said, they would confirm an upgrade for us ahead of time for the special occasion. A very generous offer. And i immediately saw the upgrade to executive suite reflected in my spg app. We checked in the next day and, of course, i hear "we have upgraded you to a nice king view room." I ask about my suite and they say they don't upgrade platinums. I mention the reservation butler i spoke with and they claimed to not know this woman -- even though I showed them her email. Any way, they "found" an executive suite so all was well -- but annoying to have to go through this.

We checked in around 9pm. Finally got to room. The executive suite is beautiful. Just one room, but nice and big with a fantastic bathroom. What you'd expect from st regis. Very nice. However, that night, after putting the kids to bed, our door buzzer rings at 10:30pm waking the kids. I open the door and it's some hotel fool bringing us a small birthday tart -- for my 3 year-old at 10:30pm??? Ahh, nice touch, but not st regis service. Just dumb.

I should say, the next morning they brought a small teddy bear and ballons. A very sweet touch. Also, when I told them at the restaurant they brought chocolate chip pancakes all decorated. So overall, I think they did a great job making our son feel special. Some toys even required a screwdriver, and our butler helped sort that out for us.

We will definitely come back for a quick weekend get-a-way. A couple of annoying hiccups for a 5-star hotel, but this has to be one of the nicest spg properties in the continental US.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Mpolatin-

We are so sorry to hear about the few hiccups that occurred at your recent stay at The St. Regis Monarch Beach but we are glad you enjoyed your overall stay. We hope you and your family will return in the future.

1,072 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
La Habra, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This property is set on a hill overlooking the ocean. We enjoyed 80+ degree days in late October!
Check in is easy... but no upgrades were available for starwood gold members... which seems to be the norm for this program. Our room was nice and was well stocked with amenities. We overlooked the pool and had a peekaboo ocean view from the balcony. Staff is attentive but not overbearing. The spa is excellent.... clean... very relaxing. Although this is a beach resort... the walk from the hotel to the beach is further than most would feel comfortable with... so they do have a golf cart type shuttle service to transport you back and forth. We did encounter a bit of a line (and some rude line cutters) which translated to a 30 minute wait.
We tried 3 different restaurants on the property. We like Stonehill Tavern the most... but all were excellent. They have a private restaurant on the beach that I would highly recommend for its view and intimacy.
The pool is a salt water system heated comfortably. Although I don't golf... many guests were out enjoying the golf course and ideal weather.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Brad L.-

We are so happy to hear that you got a chance to come out to The St. Regis Monarch Beach and enjoy the sunny California weather. We are glad you had a pleasant stay and got a chance to take advantage of the many wonderful amenities the Resort has to offer. We hope you will be back again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This was one of the most impressive resorts I have been to. My husband and I spent half of our honeymoon at the St.Regis Dana point, and everything was amazing. It was definitely an off-peak time, as the resort seemed quiet aside from hosting some meetings and events during the week, but when we arrived Saturday night, the bar was crowded, there was free live music & everyone, us included, was having a great time. It was also very nice to share the private beach with only 1 other couple. I felt that the staff were all super nice & helpful, and it seemed like they thought of everything. We were upgraded to a pool facing room with a balcony, which was a must- having a view of the courtyard, pool and ocean was one of our favorite parts. I hope that we will be able to visit again, as I was sad to leave we had such a great time.

Room Tip: Pool view a must.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Kcasey6-

We are so happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your honeymoon at The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We hope to see you again in the future, congratulations on the wedding!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I like this hotel. Theres a beach area for the hotel guests. I like that they set up everything for you. Our room is very clean and I love the remede bath products. The room service food is delicious! We also enjoyed the monarch butterfly release. The jewelry shop there has good quality stuffs and the staffs are very nice and helpful. The spa was small. The butler service was good. Pool attendants needs better training.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mercedesgl-

Thank you for your recent review of the St. Regis Monarch Beach. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of the many amenities the Resort has to offer. We hope that you will return in the future.

Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights with my husband and 2 yr old son. The resort is pretty big but the pool area for guests with families is a bit tight and small. But because we were there off season it wasn't a real issue but I can see it being too crowded in the summer months. Husband and I took turns having "alone time". Husband played a round of golf and I went to the spa. I can probably write a separate review for the spa but the spa was also very small and the area where you get ready after taking shower is connected to the area with the hot tub, sauna, and steam room, so you can imagine how hot it got trying to get ready. i had to pack my things and go to my room to finish getting ready b/c i couldn't stop sweating!
The biggest issue I had was that when we returned to our room after dinner and a walk with a tired toddler, we found that the lamp was pressed so closely to the chair that the lamp shade and part of the chair burned and the ENTIRE room smelled like plastic fumes. it was not pleasant! we asked for a new room but it took so long to attend to i just asked a worker walking by to take the lamp out and we aired the room out and decided to stay b/c my son was asleep by then. This happened b/c they put a pull out next to our king bed but didn't move the existing furniture before placing it. In any case, if this incident didn't occur I probably would've given this review 4 stars. Terranea resort in PV is lot nicer (I think).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
SRMB, Guest Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
joolee501-
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We regulate the temperatures in the Spa as best we can to 68 to 70 degrees. We hope you enjoyed your treatment and the rest of your stay at the Resort.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the St. Regis for two nights in September as part of a driving tour of California. Our room was great, on the same level as the lobby so we never had to wait for an elevator; because of the building layout we were actually several floors up and had a nice balcony. We used the spa facilities - yoga and massage - which were very nice but had limited hours (closed at 8pm); as I'm used to going to the gym at night this didn't work out for me. Also, we had dinner at the signature restaurant the first night we were there as we arrived late and found it a bit dark and empty. The food was fine, just the atmosphere left something to be desired as there were only two other tables of diners... The breakfast coffee shop was great - our AAA rate included a $50 daily breakfast credit which was more than we could use.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Rolleicord-

We are pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay at The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We hope that you will visit again and will continue to take advantage of the many things the Resort has to offer.

Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Very disappointed in last stay at the St. Regis. As a platinum starwood member... not impressed with the service at all. No suite upgrade even though they had suites available on their website during our entire visit . I even had 10 suite award nights to use and were rejected. I will be following up with the Starwood loyalty executive staff on that one. What is the point of being a loyal starwood guest if they don't honor their commitments. We also had a very poor room location actually about the worst location in the entire hotel. Even refused 4pm checkout even though they were half full. Humiliating experience and not interested in ever returning. If you are platinum stay away. They only want your $$$$ and unfortunetly status means nothing there and they make you feel like your a bother. I will definetly be staying at other hotels other than Starwood brands. Its not worth the loyalty. Sorry St. Regis you blew it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Businesstraveler486-

We are sorry to hear about the issues that occurred on your recent trip. Suite Award points are issued by SPG and apply to executive suites and unfortanetly in this case the St. Regis suites were not part of the program. As far as check out times, not all rooms are available to late checkout and it really comes down to what type of room was booked. We are sorry for the confusion and will try to make this clear in the future.

St. Regis Monarch Beach

Been to St. Regis, Monarch Beach? Share your experiences!