“Clean and spacious” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Dana Point
“Clean and spacious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I like this hotel. Theres a beach area for the hotel guests. I like that they set up everything for you. Our room is very clean and I love the remede bath products. The room service food is delicious! We also enjoyed the monarch butterfly release. The jewelry shop there has good quality stuffs and the staffs are very nice and helpful. The spa was small. The butler service was good. Pool attendants needs better training.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Mercedesgl-

Thank you for your recent review of the St. Regis Monarch Beach. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of the many amenities the Resort has to offer. We hope that you will return in the future.

1,076 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights with my husband and 2 yr old son. The resort is pretty big but the pool area for guests with families is a bit tight and small. But because we were there off season it wasn't a real issue but I can see it being too crowded in the summer months. Husband and I took turns having "alone time". Husband played a round of golf and I went to the spa. I can probably write a separate review for the spa but the spa was also very small and the area where you get ready after taking shower is connected to the area with the hot tub, sauna, and steam room, so you can imagine how hot it got trying to get ready. i had to pack my things and go to my room to finish getting ready b/c i couldn't stop sweating!
The biggest issue I had was that when we returned to our room after dinner and a walk with a tired toddler, we found that the lamp was pressed so closely to the chair that the lamp shade and part of the chair burned and the ENTIRE room smelled like plastic fumes. it was not pleasant! we asked for a new room but it took so long to attend to i just asked a worker walking by to take the lamp out and we aired the room out and decided to stay b/c my son was asleep by then. This happened b/c they put a pull out next to our king bed but didn't move the existing furniture before placing it. In any case, if this incident didn't occur I probably would've given this review 4 stars. Terranea resort in PV is lot nicer (I think).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
SRMB, Guest Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
joolee501-
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We regulate the temperatures in the Spa as best we can to 68 to 70 degrees. We hope you enjoyed your treatment and the rest of your stay at the Resort.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the St. Regis for two nights in September as part of a driving tour of California. Our room was great, on the same level as the lobby so we never had to wait for an elevator; because of the building layout we were actually several floors up and had a nice balcony. We used the spa facilities - yoga and massage - which were very nice but had limited hours (closed at 8pm); as I'm used to going to the gym at night this didn't work out for me. Also, we had dinner at the signature restaurant the first night we were there as we arrived late and found it a bit dark and empty. The food was fine, just the atmosphere left something to be desired as there were only two other tables of diners... The breakfast coffee shop was great - our AAA rate included a $50 daily breakfast credit which was more than we could use.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Rolleicord-

We are pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay at The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We hope that you will visit again and will continue to take advantage of the many things the Resort has to offer.

Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Very disappointed in last stay at the St. Regis. As a platinum starwood member... not impressed with the service at all. No suite upgrade even though they had suites available on their website during our entire visit . I even had 10 suite award nights to use and were rejected. I will be following up with the Starwood loyalty executive staff on that one. What is the point of being a loyal starwood guest if they don't honor their commitments. We also had a very poor room location actually about the worst location in the entire hotel. Even refused 4pm checkout even though they were half full. Humiliating experience and not interested in ever returning. If you are platinum stay away. They only want your $$$$ and unfortunetly status means nothing there and they make you feel like your a bother. I will definetly be staying at other hotels other than Starwood brands. Its not worth the loyalty. Sorry St. Regis you blew it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Businesstraveler486-

We are sorry to hear about the issues that occurred on your recent trip. Suite Award points are issued by SPG and apply to executive suites and unfortanetly in this case the St. Regis suites were not part of the program. As far as check out times, not all rooms are available to late checkout and it really comes down to what type of room was booked. We are sorry for the confusion and will try to make this clear in the future.

Porter Ranch, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

After reading much reviews of this resort, I was half hesitant to book my weekend staycation here. It seems most of the gripes are the "expensive" valet fees of 35/night and the 25/night resort fee. The other half of the gripe stems from the cold and tip-demanding attitude of the staff.

Although I was able to deduct 10 / night due to my SPG status, even the 50/ night added can be a financial pain. However, I knew this upfront and it is what it is. Many other hotels / resorts charge this and more. BUT, I believe the hotel should be more proactive in informing their customers instead of burying it in the fine prints and having the back lash of negative feedback as a result.

The attitude of the staff, was friendly. I know that many of the staff lean upon the support of tips, but I didn't see an overt act or attitude from the staff that reflected as such.
I felt however, the staff, in general, was REACTIVE, rather than PROACTIVE. They were easy to approach and friendly overall, but for a resort of this caliber, you expect the staff to reach out and be more proactive in making the customers feel...like a 5 star.
This is not an isolated problem that lies only with this resort, but something lacking in many of 5 star franchises, such as MO, FS, RC, etc... I think if I can remember a staff's name (for positive reason), then they have done their job. Unfortunately, I can not remember their faces, let alone their names.
It's how unremarkable service was. I'm sure this may differ from each customer's experience.

One instance that was QUITE annoying was the false fire alarm that was blaring on 11/10/12 afternoon. The alarm went on for good 30-40minutes until they were finally able to bring it to a stop. Accidents can happen, but the reactive time for them to tend to it, was less than stellar.

As far as the hotel goes, the general property was well kept and managed. It's a BEAUTIFUL property, hands down. The rooms themselves were large and felt luxurious, as they should be. The restaurants on the property, were less than stellar with an inflated price tag, that would not sit well with most. I was especially disappointed with the Sunday brunch from Motif, but that is a review all on its own.

Overall, I will be returning, but will not have super high expectations.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
John K-

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear about the issue with the fire alarm we will take this up with management to make sure this does not happen again. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your trip as a whole and look forward to you returning in the future.

San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I attended a conference at this resort. It is elegance and opulence personified. The resort is beautiful and very well maintained. The main area were clean and up-to-date. There were several restaurants on premises which made it very convenient for a conference attendee without a car.

I had the "basic" room. It had upscale fixtures and features. The bed was extraordinarily comfortable. The bathroom was large and well designed.

The only challenge was during check in. It took longer than expected. Also, I was asked which paper I wanted delivered (complimentary) every morning. I selected the Wall Street Journal. It did not arrive either of the days. I called both days and received one only on the first day. I found out that they did not include the Journal as an option. The individual assisting me with check in should have informed me. I would have gladly chosen a different paper.

Overall, a great trip. I am considering surprising my wife with a trip to this resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Satxsptsfan-

Thank you so much for your review of The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time here, we are sorry that there was some confusion with the morning paper. We hope you will surprise your wife with a trip!

Jacksonville, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had a great time here. It is a fantastic property. All the things I care about -- exquisite bedding and linens, quiet rooms, beautiful grounds ... were present. I appreciated all tips from prior posters, especially about the no coffee makers in rooms, and we planned accordingly. (Nothing as sad as someone on east coast time seeking coffee at 4 am.) The HUGE extra benefit at the St Regis was the Monarch Bay Club -- with an amazing ocean restaurant & complimentary chairs and umbrellas. Also, wonderful fitness classes and a great gym --also complimentary.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the inner courtyard get more sun and have a pool view.