“High Marks from a Local!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Dana Point
Orange County, California
“High Marks from a Local!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We were lucky enough to enjoy a 3-night stay at the St. Regis this past weekend. In short, we had a fabulous weekend and definitely recommend the resort. I will try to keep it short, but we used just about every amenity so thoroughness may kill brevity.

The Reservations Team:
This is not something I normally comment about but I had such a positive experience I wanted to give credit to the reservations team. We had purchased our stay at a charity event so could not book online. The poor reservation person (Sandy) was thrown just about every possible curve ball – a gift certificate with less than clear terms, guests with two different last names and two different SPG numbers. She was incredibly friendly and helpful, booked exactly what we wanted and even was able to arrange an upgrade to our room category giving us an ocean view. She also made spa and dining reservations for us. I am usually not eager to make reservations by phone (deal with too many people all day!) but this experience was all positive. Likewise was the follow-up call to add a night which was also extremely helpful. I usually book on-line because I feel like I can handle it better myself – not true here.

Location:
Yes, as others have posted, the St. Regis is not directly on the beach. It is across Pacific Coast Highway. But this does have its advantages. First, the resort includes a beautiful golf course which many rooms overlook. You also do have nice views of the ocean. Plus, don’t be fooled – the Ritz Carlton (which I am also a fan of) is on the beach side but is at the top of the high bluffs so it isn’t as if you can stumble from your room onto the sand there either. Finally, being about 1 block inland means the resort has a much bigger footprint (as least that is my impression, YMMV) including multiple pool areas, gardens, etc. Other than that, it is literally less than a mile to the Ritz, so I wouldn’t let location be the deciding factor between these two properties.

The Room:
We were lucky enough to stay in an Ocean View Executive Suite. These rooms are basically a very large room (no separate living area) and are located at the very end of each wing so the balcony has an amazing view of the golf course and the ocean beyond. The bathroom was great with double sinks, separate shower and tub plus a walk in closet – marble throughout the bath and plenty of space. The king bed was extremely comfortable. (See pictures for examples of the view, bath and room of Room 201).

One thing of note is that this room category comes with Butler service. We aren’t really the Butler type (not really sure what that would entail) but we did appreciate the fact that we could get coffee and tea in the mornings (we did not experience delays as others on TA have). Our Butler also provided a bucket of ice for champagne one evening. We didn’t use them for much else, but it was a nice feature. They were always eager to help and very friendly.

Service:
Service at the hotel is excellent. Anytime you make a call from your room to the resort team you are automatically greeted by name. As with the Butlers, the staff in general is friendly and eager to offer any assistance. Hotel staff really goes the extra mile. Prime example during our stay was our request for an iPod docking station. Kurt the Butler arranged for one upon request from the Concierge. Within 10 minutes we had it and it was brand new, still in the box and wrapped in plastic.

We barely saw the housekeeping staff but our room was promptly made up and turned down each day.

Facilities:
During our stay I took full advantage of the spa for: pedicure, massage and facial. I have been to this spa before and love it, though I must admit my pedicure was fine but not the best I have ever had.

We also used the gym and found it perfectly acceptable, though I was annoyed when the individual TVs on several of the ellipticals and treadmills did not work – some more regular maintenance would be wise here. I suppose there could have been some magic spell I needed to get them to work but I tried just about everything as did hubby.

The pool areas were all very nice though the weather didn’t lend itself to that during our stay.

Dining:
We had dinner at Stonehill Tavern one night and the service and ambience were outstanding but I found the food itself to be a little lacking (second time we have felt this way out of 2 tries).

We also had dinner at Motif which we actually preferred.

Most important: DO NOT miss the Sunday brunch. We have tried brunch at many places in several states and even countries and this is hands down our favorite. Because we are lucky enough to live in the area we come at least a few times a year and have never been disappointed. Hubby likes the custom pancake bar with pretty much any addition you can think of (try the s’mores pancakes which, you guessed it, include chocolate chips and marshmallows). My personal favorite is the Belgian waffle; so incredibly light and crispy. It also has all of the usual suspects: shrimp, crab, sushi, omelettes, carving station, and on and on. Again, if you stay here, have the brunch. Expensive but amazing.

So much for short!

The only negative I can really post is that one time we had an issue getting our car from the valet (we have experienced similar issues in the past as others have noted). This is another area the resort could improve upon.

In sum, the St. Regis is a beautiful property in a fabulous location that is luxurious without being over the top stuffy (anyone else like the prior post that called some of the guests “harlots” because they were too casual in the main areas??) If you want collared shirts and slacks for men and knee length skirts/dresses for women, this isn’t necessarily the place as it has a nice casual beach vibe. But it is still very luxurious. I personally prefer the relaxed vibe.

We highly recommend it and will be back.

Room Tip: We highly recommend the Ocean View Executive Suites
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you so much for your positive review of your stay at The St. Regis Monarch Beach. It sounds like you were able to enjoy everything the Resort has to offer- including our famous Sunday Brunch! We look forward to having you back again soon. Enjoy the rest of your summer and safe travels!

St. Regis Monarch Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Korean first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I checked in on Thursday afternoon with our 3 young children. The front desk woman was not at all friendly and did not crack one smile. My husband called ahead and inquired about early check in and was told that it was not guaranteed but was very possible. We arrived at around 3:00 pm when check in at St Regis is at 4pm (Nevermind that most hotel check in time is at 3pm). My husband was told that his reservation could not be located! What?! He reserved several months in advance!! The front woman did not apologize for failing to locate the reservation at all nor did she seem at all distressed at this fact. Finally the front desk woman located the reservation and told us we would have to wait until 4pm. Fine. My husband asks the front woman for a possible upgrade and she glares at my husband as if he's from another planet. She says there is a king bed room upgrade available, but we needed 2 queens. We came back at 4pm with our 3 young children in tow, and this time the male front desk clerk cannot locate our reservation for the second time! What is going on? He also is very wry and unapologetic! My husband proceeds to tell this young man that he had just checked in 30 mins ago with the woman standing next to him!! She again could not locate our reservation! While he is standing in front of these clearly untrained or inadequately trained front desk people, he receives a call from someone in the back behind the clerks that our room is ready! How is it that different members of the same hotel staff do not know what is going on with a patron's room? For the ratings and quality of resort, we expected a lot more. Horrible front desk service, we definitely will not return even though the amenities and the room itself was nice, with the exceptions of the slow draining sinks, running toilet, and loud pipes that we could hear every time someone in the room above us used the shower.

• Stayed July 2012
SRMB, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Cklee73-
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at The St. Regis Monarch Beach. First, we are happy to hear you enjoyed your room and maid service. We have currently implemented new programs to make check in and check out run smoother, more efficient, and faster. Thank you and we hope to have you back to the Resort soon.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

SPECTACULAR !!! This resort is good for the soul...i rejuvenated there and feel as I was in another part of the world., like living in fantasy land...Excellent service from the moment you drive In. our room was fantastic with a great view of the pool, so relaxing to seat and have some wine on the balcony. The evening service is fantastic, they turn down your sheets, leave chocolate, water, slippers and bathrobe ready for you by the bed..WOW..I have no words to explain the experience we had at this resort. I just have to tell you..to GO.GO.and GO....short drive to Disneyland........THE SERVICE, AMBIANCE, GROUNDS, FOOD..ARE A 10+..LOVE IT...!!

Room Tip: view by the pool. very romantic at night...
morena v-
Thank you for posting your positive review of The St. Regis Monarch Beach! We are thrilled you are encouraging others to have the same great experience you had at the Resort! Thank you again and we hope to have you back to The St. Regis Monarch Beach very soon.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

After much consideration after reading some of the many negative reviews on tripadvisor from previous guests I gave this resort a try and let me tell you with great confidence it was an AWESOME stay. First of all to all out there who are SPF. Gold and platinum members, my status was recognized at checkin and I was upgraded to a suite for a 7 night stay. We got an amazing corner room on the fist floor facing the gardens, very quiet, very picturesque. I would highly recommend room 164. The room was huge and the bathroom was even bigger. Amazing Remede products in the bathroom, a St. Regis tradition. The staff were amazing and very hospitable with us. Service is top notch. The butler service in the suites was also amazing. You can order complimentary coffee, tea, drinks, to your suite from morning to noon brought up to your room at no cost. They even brought hot chocolate and marshmallows for my kids, they loved it. Valet parking was always quick and efficient in getting our car each day and the hotel was very busy. The staff that take you to th beach in the golf cart if the hotel were amazing as well, very friendly and hospitable. The private beach of the Monarch Beach Club is one of the best beaches I have been to in the southern California area. I do not understand who these previous guests were who did not enjoy their stay here as I simply loved it and I am no ordinary traveller. Simply look at where I have eaten and stayed at in my contributions on tripadvisor to see that I settle for nothing more than first class all the way. Also while I recognize this is a review for the St. Regis Resort, I do have to give say that you all must fly Delta airlines in first class. We have been flying in first class on Delta from Buffalo airport for the past five years and all I can say is the service and quality of product you get is amazing. I drive out of my way to first get to Buffalo airport from Toronto to avoid flying on the awful Air Canada and to fly away from the mismanaged an dexpensive Toronto airport. Now back to the St. Regis Monarch Beach Reesort, I would return to this place in a heartbeat and with it's great rates compared to the Ritz Carlton Laguna and the Pelican Hill, I would recommend this resort to everyone. They even had a family pool and made sure that the kids were using it so that the adult pool remained quiet, perfect for families!!!!

Room Tip: Eat at the Motif restaurant while at the hotel. Great food and service.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review on The St. Regis Monarch Beach! We are happy to hear you had a great time and enjoyed every aspect of our five-star Resort. Looking forward to having you back to the Resort very soon!

Safe travels,

Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

For our fifth anniversary we returned to the St Regis on Dana Point, where we were not disappointed!

The service, ambiance, and setting are all terrific - and worth the price!

Our room was perfect, with a super-comfy bed and large bathroom.

The refrigerator was able to accomodate some wine, beer and cheese left over from the prior night's cocktail party (on a Dockside B&B boat, "Perfect Landing").

We enjoyed a fine lunch at the "pool bar" - which had no view of the pool. After lunch we took a tram down to the private Monarch Beach and enjoyed a breezy, sunny day.

That night we ate at "Nirvana" (prior to the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach), which I reviewed separately.

The next morning we enjoyed a delicious (but expensive) breakfast on the main terrace, followed by a long walk to Dana Point itself.

On our final day, we enjoyed a swim in the hotel's lap pool - the only pool that isn't overrun by children.

My only complaint was the attire of fellow guests - very shabby for such a fine establishment.

Collared shirts and proper pants or shorts should be required for "gentlemen" and ladies should dress like ladies, not harlots. ESPECIALLY ON THE MAIN FLOOR AND IN THE LOBBY.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a combined ocean/pool view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you for your review about your recent stay at The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We are happy to hear you chose to spend your 5th anniversary with us - congratulations! Looking forward to having you and your wife as a guest again.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We spent a week at this hotel with our whole family. The service was fantastic and the rooms are really well done. We didn't have a great view, but we spent most of the day at the private beach! The kids had a blast and the hotel was pretty close to Disneyland. We really enjoyed the hotel grounds especially the pool. Great Hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Mordy-
Thank you for your review about your family's week long vacation at The St. Regis Monarch Beach! We are happy to hear your enjoyed your stay and our private beach - and made it to Disneyland, too. Hope to have you all back again, soon!

Thanks again,

santa barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was the most luxurious hotel experience I have ever had and we loved every second of it. We went as a family and were so comfortable and there was so much for the kids. We spent most of our time at the pool because we have an ocean where we live, so the pool was more novel. It was also cloudy at the beach when we were there. The kids loved Otter Pops on the hour and nighttime story telling with dressed up characters and s'mores roasting and chocolate butterflies on the white linens every evening. I loved the spa and found it to be excellent. I took a pilates class and it was great. The service was excellent as it should be at a property of this rating. We only stayed two nights and I wish we could have stayed more to have taken advantage of all of the amenities. Just dreamy!

Room Tip: I would have preferred an ocean rather than condo/grass view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
rklace-
Thank you for your review on your family trip to The St. Regis Monarch Beach. It sounds like you and your family had a lovely time. The St. Regis Monarch Beach aims to please families with the pool time treats and S'mores and Storytime. We are glad you got some time to enjoy the Spa Gaucin as well.

Hope you can join us for longer next time!

Thanks again,

The Resort at Pelican Hill
#3 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 1,045 reviews
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 19 in Huntington Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 1,857 reviews
Casa Laguna Inn & Spa
Casa Laguna Inn & Spa
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 905 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Shores Hotel

Been to St. Regis, Monarch Beach? Share your experiences!