“What luxury is all about” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Dana Point
Los Angeles
“What luxury is all about”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find fault with the St. Regis, but let's be honest - this is a gorgeous luxury hotel a stone's throw from a private beach. Yeah, it isn't cheap, but you generally get what you pay for. The room (resort view king) was huge and perfect, the restaurants, beach, and pool area were all great (had a wonderful meal at Monarch Bay Club). Above all, the staff was amazingly friendly and helpful at every turn. I don't think I had anything less than 5* interaction with a staff member. Sure it's expensive, but for a special few days, you can't beat it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
dyrewolf-
Thank you for your great review on your experience at The St. Regis Monarch Beach! We are happy to hear you had many great interactions with our staff and were pleased with your room. Looking forward to having you back at the Resort soon.

Thanks again and safe travels,

1,094 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
cincinnati ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed at the St. Regis for 2 nights this past weekend. We were disappointed that we were not upgraded for our SPG Platinum status. Besides that, we felt that the service was not up to the reputation of the St. Regis. The service was mediocre at best from the front desk, concierge to the wait staff at the MOTIF rest and valet. Paying $35.00 to valet the car and having to wait over 30 mins. for the car was absurd! The General Mgr., Mr. So, was out directing the cars! We were driving a rental Chevy Impala and the BMWs, Mercedes, Jags, etc. were brought out before our car even though we were waiting longer! Then the rooms although nicely decorated... we heard the noise from the rooms above and outside clearly. Smoking rooms (!?) down the hall permeated the hallways. What a disappointing stay! Clearly the prestige of staying at a highly recognized luxury hotel is not all it is cracked up to be!! We won't bother to return to this hotel. There are so many hotels that are less expensive and provide better service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Wendy-
Thank you for voicing your concerns about your visit to The St. Regis Monarch Beach. We are sorry to hear the valet line took 30 minutes - our valet gets very busy during these summer months. We have told management about your customer service complaints, as well.

Thank you.

The Executive Office
Glen Allen, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed here on business in one of the signature guest rooms and found everything to be perfect. The property is beautiful and immaculate. The beach is a short walk down the hill and was very nice also. The golf course was pristine and the rest of the grounds were gorgeous. We had a great time and hope the company will hold another function here. This is a jewel in sunny southern California.

Room Tip: Ocean View as it sits on the hill
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis, Monarch Beach, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Broughton_11-
Thank you for your review on The St. Regis Monarch Beach! We are thrilled to hear you had a great time during your stay, and enjoyed our beautiful Resort. We hope your company will hold another function here in the near future.

Best,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Great rooms and service. The butler service serving morning coffee and tea was an added perk that we truly enjoyed. Beautiful property and the weather was perfect on the days we stayed so we were able to enjoy the balcony. I think we got upgraded to a King suite the last time I stayed and the bathroom was magnificent. The property is out of the way if you were planning on visiting the rest of southern California, but definitely a good place to get away from the city and congestion. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony so you can have breakfast on it. It's southern california so you will...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Mr. Luu-
Thank you for your great review on your stay at The St. Regis Monarch Beach! We are happy to hear you enjoyed the Butler Service, added perks, and the great weather! We are looking forward to your return visit to The St. Regis Monarch Beach.

Duluth, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

The best hotel we have ever stayed at! To start we came to Dana Point with the intention of staying in a condo we rented. Upon arrival at the condo it was filled with ants and not what we expected. After we got our refund from the condo owner, we had to scramble for other lodging.

From the time I called St. Regis reservations to the time we checked out (5 nights over one week) it was the most incredible hotel stay we have ever experienced! We loved it so much after 2 nights we added a 3rd night, then went to San Diego for 3 nights then made sure we came back to the St. Regis for a our last 2 nights in California! Our rooms were spacious, the bathrooms very well appointed, the balconies relaxing and also spacious. The beds and showers were great - this is the first trip we came home wishing we had that bed and shower!. We really enjoyed the tram rides to the beach (Cole was our favorite driver) and the drivers were friendly and knowledgeable of the grounds and the area. The Front Desk Manager was wonderful to work with when we added our additional nights. The food was incredible at the restaurants we ate at. Our final day was Sunday, June 24th and the Dana Point Concours was held on the hotel grounds. What a beautiful event and admired the hotel staff and how they handled traffic for hotel guests - way to go! Fitness area was great also.

Our first 3 nights we stayed on the first floor facing the fountains (resort view?)and our last 2 night we had I believe the garden view on the 2nd floor. Both were wonderful and quiet!

Only disappointing item was our 1st nights room service. Took well over the time they quoted and when it arrived the kids meals were cold (steak and pasta). After the day we had we just ate and didn't say anything. Husband had salad so his was perfect.

Highly recommend the St. Regis. Elegant and beautiful but never felt stuffy and uppity. Cannot wait to come back to Dana Point and stay at the St. Regis again! Thank you St. Regis for saving our vacation and making it wonderful!!!

Room Tip: Incrediible views from lobby area - rooms were spacious and quiet!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Kathy-
Thank you for your great review on your stay at The St. Regis Monarch Beach! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your 5-night stay, and we were able to accommodate you and your families needs. Looking forward to having you all back at the Resort soon! Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Redondo Beach, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We spent our "babymoon" at the St Regis this past weekend and I wanted to write a review while the experience was fresh in my mind.

I picked up a lot of tips and set some of my expectations based upon the reviews of the seasoned travelers. Also, I am SPG gold so I was entitled to some perks that really enhanced my stay (late checkout of 4pm, option to upgrade to a St Regis suite for $200 a night, welcome gift of reduced resort rate from $25 to $15 per day). So I'll start with check-in...My room was not ready at 4 pm, the standard check-in time. I had tried to check in earlier at 2:30 but the room was not ready (which is fair) but I did expect my room to be ready at 4 pm. I went to the front desk at 4pm , my room wasn't ready and they couldn't give me an estimate of when it would be ready. I am 8 months pregnant and I stated that I was very exhausted and I really needed to lie down and rest and expressed my disappointment at them not meeting their end of the bargain by having the room ready by check-in time. The front desk woman did not apologize, just stated that it takes a while to clean a room the size of the St Regis suite and that once I get into the room, I will see what she means and not be disappointed with how luxurious the suite is. I usually don't like to play the sympathy card because I'm pregnant, but really that was your response to my situation? Five-star resorts should train their staff better than that. Just apologize for not having the room ready instead of making excuses and making me feel lucky to have a suite at your property!

The best service we got was at the pool, although we did rent a cabana ($300 per day). Almost all the pool staff were super attentive, courteous and pleasant. Our attendant, Daniel, exemplified how five star resort employees should be. Service at the restaurants met expectations, but the pool employees (mostly in their 20's by the way) gave exemplary service. Front desk employees need to learn from them.

Since we stayed in a suite, we were assigned a butler. This sounds better than it is. You do get complimentary coffee service, shoes shined, 2 items pressed and packing and unpacking service. However, the reliability and efficiency of the butlers were unpredictable. One morning it took an hour and three phone calls for our coffee to be delivered (a few reviewers had this problem too). One day the newspaper was delivered and the other day we had to call down for it. The butler brings the requested ice and glasses but knows nothing of the coffee we ordered 2 times. And the excuse for the mix-up is that things got lost in cyber space...Hmmm, ok.

My check-out bill was also delivered a day early and had multiple errors. I was double charged for the suite upgrade and my resort fee was not adjusted for the discount given to Gold members. This was simple accounting that did not require much of a brain to put together. Was the person in charge of it half asleep when he prepared my bill or did he not take the 5 minutes to really evaluate that my account was in proper order? The bill was hastily put together and the burden placed on me to make sure they were doing their job properly.

My friend checked out on Sunday and waited 45 minutes for valet to bring his car up. This is something that multiple reviewers have mentioned and obviously management has not fixed. As a result of this ridiculous wait time, my friend was late to a work appointment that he otherwise would have been early at. He did complain to management and they comp'd him the parking fee, but he was late to an appointment with his clients!!!!! The $35 credit is crap compared to the bad will he just generated for his business.

I know alot of this sounds like knit picking, but when you have major glitches in your service that people have been complaining about for years, it really leaves a bad taste in your mouth. You wonder, does management not care??? You would think they would since high end hoteliers like the Four Seasons, the Ritz and Aman resorts certainly do. My husband and I are both business people and we cannot understand why management has not taken the feedback of reviewers seriously and implemented changes that will make them more competitive with the surrounding competing properties (the Ritz and Montage). It really blows my mind why this place can't get things quite right. Take a look at the reviews for the Ritz and you will not see the volume and type of negative feedback that the St Regis gets.

In summary, if you are going to spend $500 plus for a room, don't spend it here. Go the the Ritz or Montage. If you're using points or a free night award, be glad that you didn't use any of your money to pay for a room at a resort with sub-par service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
PwCTrojan-
Thank you for your review on The St. Regis Monarch Beach, and congratulations on your pregnancy. We apologize for the late check-in, and the customer service at the front desk and butler service. New systems are currently in place that will fast-track check in and make sure rooms are available at the check-in time. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time at the pool. Best wishes on your pregnancy.

The St. Regis Monarch Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

Don't waste your time at this very disappointing establishment. Check in time listed as 4:00 on their literature but our room was not ready for hours after that time. Nothing like paying a ridiculously high room fee for deplorable service. Stay at the Ritz - you'll be much happier.

• Stayed July 2012
Funinthesun922-
We are sorry to hear about your long wait time when you were checking in to the Resort. We are currently working on new systems to expidite the check in process, and make sure the rooms are available promptly.

St. Regis Monarch Beach

Been to St. Regis, Monarch Beach? Share your experiences!