“Good experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Dana Point
Luton, United Kingdom
“Good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed for one night on our way to LA. The room we had was very large and well equipped, including a large bathroom and separate dressing room area as well. The bed was comfortable and sheets were crisp and clean. After reading some of the reviews we were concerned but we didn't need to be.

We found the staff pleasant and helpful and the breakfast was basic but nice. The beach was 5 minutes away along with the harbour with plenty of restaurants to choose from.

We had trouble using the wifi and to be fair they tried to sort this out but only staying one night not sure if they ever solved the problem.

If we are ever passing we would book this motel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Place is small and clean and good for one night or a couple of nights. We travel most times here for Thanksgiving and are content here. It located right up the road from Doheny State Beach which has stores and restaurants. They have a breakfast buffet typical of small motels or you can go to I.HOP across the street. They are small, only 46 rooms but in a great location for family fun. Room has a refrigerator and a microwave in lobby if you need to warm something up..

Room Tip: In small and older motels I prefer to sleep on 2nd floor and avoid the sounds from above.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
High Desert
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We have stayed at this motel several times in the past and never had any issues - until NOW. My wife called & booked a room on Monday for the next Saturday night (AAA rate) because we were seeing a concert at The Coach House for her birthday. The girl that helped us on the phone was Stephanie, and she was very pleasant. Now my wife is very organized and a stickler for details. She verified the date, room rate, and 48 hour cancellation policy. Stephanie said to avoid being charged we needed to cancel by Thursday (48 hours before Saturday, for the math fans). My wife asked for an email confirmation but Stephanie said the motel was having computer issues so they could not email the confirmation, but she did give us a confirmation number. Later in the week we got a call from the hotel (Stephanie again) wanting to know if we could change from 2 queens to one king since they were running short on rooms. We said sure, as long as the rate was the same. Stephanie said, "of course" so we changed the room. Well, on Saturday evening when we arrived to check in, the male clerk (didn't get his name) said that we were booked for Friday night not Saturday, and since we were a "no show" our credit card had been charged. He said Stephanie was a new employee. The clerk called the manager ("Moe") on his cell phone but the manager said there was nothing he could do about it until Monday. We booked another room for Saturday night, but the rate was almost twice the price. We were running late for the concert so bit the bullet instead of searching for another room at the last minute.

The room itself was average this time (not horrible, but not great), and the shower was awful. It would not remain at any temperature - it would only bounce between scalding hot and ice cold. Perhaps it was just this room - I've never had that problem here before.

On Monday my wife called the motel to see about getting Friday night's charge taken off our credit card. Stephanie answered and said Moe would not be in until 11:00 AM on Tuesday. On Tuesday my wife called again but was told Moe would not be in until 1:00 PM. She called again and finally talked to Moe in the afternoon. Moe asked for our info so he could look it up. He then proceeded to get rude. First of all he did not understand that from Thursday to Saturday is 48 hours. My wife pointed out that Stephanie had stated we had until Thursday at 4:00 PM to cancel the reservation. Moe insisted that yes, we had until 4:00 PM on Thursday to cancel a reservation for Friday. My wife said "but I was told it was a 48 hour cancellation policy" and Moe said "yes". Ok, so if Stephanie told my wife the deadline was Thursday then that should mean the reservation was for Saturday. Moe said "no". He just didn't get it. Then he basically called my wife a liar and said that my wife even called on Friday to say we were going to be late. We never made such a call. Then he said he was there when Stephanie took the reservation and his employee never made the mistake. The motel's website reservation system does not work - you basically have to call to make a reservation (at least to get the best rate). Does he really remember every single call? It doesn't matter, because the truth is Stephanie made a mistake (hey, mistakes happen) but he refused to admit it. Also if they had been able to email us a receipt we would have been able to change the reservation well ahead of the cancellation date. So basically the call ended with Moe calling my wife a liar and refusing to offer a refund. We have disputed the charge with our credit card and let Moe know that they have lost a repeat customer for good, and that bad reviews were on their way. We will not stay here again and will tell everyone else not to either - something that could have been avoided with simply good customer service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This hotel was a nightmare and I wish I had read more reviews prior to booking. We drove to Dana Point from Arizona and arrived around 8 PM to check in. Once we got our key we walked into our room to find it already occupied, by bugs. Not bed bugs (not that we found anyway) but there were more there than our liking. As we further inspected the room we found a FRENCH FRY in clear view sitting between the bed and the nightstand. After spending about 45 minutes on our phones finding a new hotel, we went back to the front desk to inform the girl we were no longer going to stay here and wanted to cancel the rest of the reservation and get our money back. This is where the story gets interesting. She informed me that she in unable to give refunds and that the manager has to do this. He was not working that night but she stated he should be in around noon tomorrow. She said she would email him my name and contact information asking him to get in contact with me. I did not have a good feeling about this so we went back to the hotel on Thursday to talk to the manager and to my surprise (or lack there of) he is not there. This place apparently only has one person who can make financial decisions and he comes in when he wants to. Long story short, I attempted to contact the manager every day of our vacation and every day I was told he is not here today. It's obvious why this hotel is so poorly maintained and barely operational. There are no decision makers that can handle any type of dispute. Almost a week after our original check-in date and I still have not been contacted by a manager despite my best efforts of calling every day. If you ignore these warnings and book with this hotel I wish you nothing but the best, you'll need it. I am currently working with my credit card company to dispute the charges with this hotel, attempting to get my money back that they stole.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hughson, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have never been in a hotel that smelled as bad nor had actual mold in the showerhead. We were moved from the first room because the door would not close. I can understand why as it smelled so bad. The office staff called the manager as well as maintenance and no one showed. We tried to get our money back after 15 minutes so we could go somewhere else but no go. I slept in my clothes as the sheets were filthy. Wish I knew who owned it so I could get some kind of refund. The office staff just kept apologizing but still we paid full price. Don't go there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Have stayed here for over 12 years with our family, we have referred many friends and have noticed over the past 5 years its become more & more run down but we over looked it because price, location was good and we were always treated with respect from the staff. Sadly to say that the manager does not care about their returning patrons. Myself and 3 others stayed here 8/12/13 and I was so embarrassed! Woke up to roaches in the bed & bath, faucets were broken, coffee pot did not work I went to the front desk and complained about the roaches (I have a video and showed it to the male staff member at his request) and was told that the manager would be in btwn 9 & 10 am...he never came in, they said they e-mailed him numerous times but no reply. I asked for some kind of compensation but was told they were not authorized to do so that only the the manager could do it. Upon check out I left my number and they said they would e-mail it to him that I wanted to talk to him directly. This is the 16th he still has not called. Also found out that the pool had previously been closed by the Health Dept. PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE STAYING AT THIS PLACE!!!! at one time it was a pleasure to stay here but wow! how it has changed.

• Stayed August 2013
Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We booked this hotel by accident on hotwire not realizing the area for Laguna Beach included Dana Point.

For $100, when most hotels are $200 in the area, this is a fantastic deal. I don't know what people are complaining about. The hotel was clean, heated tile floors in the bathroom, quiet at night, good beds, breakfast was adequate, and it was in walking distance to the beach. I would consider this hotel better than many more expensive brand name hotels.

When we were there the beaches in Laguna were too rough for swimming and surfing. We finally walked to the beach near the hotel and it was great for swimming with our kids.

From the reviews we knew the pool was closed so we were fine with that.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Capistrano Surfside Inn
Capistrano Surfside Inn
#1 of 4 in Capistrano Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 69 reviews

Been to Dana Point Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!