“We Loved it and Had a Great Time!” 4 of 5 stars

Dana Point Harbor Inn
25325 Dana Point Harbor Drive, Dana Point, CA 92629   |
Ranked #9 of 9 hotels in Dana Point
Las Vegas, Nevada
“We Loved it and Had a Great Time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

I booked five rooms for my daughter's wedding in March, for an August wedding. I made many changes during the six months of reserving the rooms, and we ended up with some confused reservations, but Sarah and Janet helped me a lot and worked everything out for me. They were very helpful. I confirmed my rooms a lot and checked things over. When we arrived my mother's room was way down away from where the rest of the rooms were, and Britt spent a lot of time working it out so she would be right next to me. He also spent a lot of time getting my reservations straightened out for me. In general, the location of the motel and the room accommodations were great. I would say that one problem was in taking a shower, because the hot water comes and goes, but I have had that problem in lots of places I have stayed, at much higher prices. I saw four of the rooms at the Inn, and as far as the convenience, cleanliness and decor of the rooms goes, it was very nice. The breakfast was good, and we really enjoyed having it there for us. It was nice to meet there for coffee in the mornings. They have coffee, hot water and cold lemon water available all during office hours, which was nice. I think it is a good idea to confirm your reservations and get a receipt, but I recommend that for any place you stay. I think we had excellent customer service, and I bugged them a lot for six months. Sarah knew my voice and they all knew my name and they were always nice and helpful to me. My daughter's wedding was right off the harbor so it was very convenient. You can walk across the street to the ocean and to the Marina. There are many restaurants and stores close by. If you want a fancy hotel, the Ritz is down the street and then this place is not for you, but if you want a nice, clean, convenient room, free parking, (and the rooms have been updated), the Dana Point Harbor Inn is a really good choice. Just confirm the reservations, as I said previously. Say hi to Britt, Sarah, Janet and the rest of the crew for me, because they are all very helpful!
I just wish I never had to leave!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

We finally got away from work due to a close friend's wedding and why not take advantage of it and enjoy an extra couple of days by the ocean? I really wanted to stay at the Marriot, Laguna cliffs and no its not by Laguna beach! but at Dana Point. We searched through every hotel search possible and we kept seeing Dana Point Harbor Inn at the lowest price search criteria. Ofcourse getting away from work after a long long time, I did not want to stay at a cheap place but one which was worth the money and the treatment. My wife without hesitation booked at this place to save a bit of extra money so she can shop a bit more. Without a doubt, I am very happy she did book this place because it was perfect for the price, we paid an average of $99 for Friday & Saturday night with AAA discount. THE PLACE IS LITERALLY ACROSS THE BEACH! What more could you ask for? It took us 5 minutes to leave our room, leave the car parked right across from the room, walk right across the 4 lane road to the beach/park entrance and within a few extra steps we were at the sand. And oh it was beautiful! Breakfast is very decent, they even offer yogurt for those who like to watch their weight But those delicious chocolate chip muffins kills the whole point! They have a very decent "complimentary continental breakfast", free wifi, shooot FREE PARKING, what else do you need? Every time I've been to a hotel/motel for the past year, I've had to either pay for WIFI or PARKING! I can't believe the amount of people who love to complain on Tripadvisor, ITS AMAZING! If you don't want to spend $100+ dollars to stay in a room which you will only sleep and shower in, this is the best of the best. Simple as that.

Room Tip: We stayed at a standard King but it was near the pool and upstairs, it was perfect, we even had a bi...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

If your travel plans are during the summer there is a good chance you will not be staying at the Dana Point Harbor Inn per your reservations. This Hotel (which is sub-par at best) advertises inexpensive rates, over books and then provides alternative accommodations down the street (which I am sure has some connection) at a hotel that is not suitable for a dog kennel. If you book through Orbits or Hotwire you will not receive a refund and I guarantee you will end up paying for a different hotel and at the end of the day you should have just paid for a nice hotel and enjoyed your vacation. For what it’s worth – DO NOT BOOK AT THIS HOTEL! Read all 50 something reviews – this is not an isolated event.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Rancho Cucamonga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My friend was getting married on the weekend of July 16th. I should have paid attention to the reviews before booking.......I think the place has fleas and they used my credit card number without my authorization. My friend had left his tie at the hotel and a week later I get a package wit a tie and a receipt for $23.67 charged to my account from a UPS store. The tie wasn't even woth that much!! I had to cancel the account before they charged more stuff on it! How dare they!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Montpelier
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Stop right here....back away....if you choose to stay in this hotel you subject yourself to a terrible time, unclean rooms, dirty pool (the size of a hot tub the picture is on an angle) and people that work here that do not care if they cheat you or if you have any complaints.
I am from Ohio,. My whole family came from four states for my nephews wedding. We booked this hotel due to rates, location, and pictures. My parents and aunt and uncle came from Tennessee. Same day we were all traveling they contacted them and told them they overbooked their rooms and did not have anymore available at this location. They told them they got them a room down the road. Yeah,...at another dirt bag towel place that this manager was over. It also was a dump! Taco beds that swerved in the middle and musty barn smelling rooms. Location was good but my brother in law said, "No way, we cannot let our elderly parents stay here! I wouldn't let our dog stay here!" We tried and tried to speak with the manager, Mohommad, and he was NEVER available or would never return our phone calls. Due to our parents and family having to pay unexpected extra hotel charges they left a day early and that snow balled other family memers leaving early. They did nothing to help us out. Our room had a broken air conditioner and for two nights we slept with a fan blowing around hot air. They said they would look at it. The pool was very tiny like a hot tub and was dirty. Don't get yourself trapped into staying here. They should be a '0' star rated hotel. The manager of this place was not American and did not care how he treated people. So sad. So sad. Don't waste your money. Trust me. Still upset in Ohio.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

We have lived in Dana Point, and came down for a quick trip from florida. You get what you pay for. Yes its dated, we found our room clean, beds were not the best, but its a place to sleep and shower, Really how long are you planning on hanging out in you room while on holidays? There are great beaches and restaurants nearby. The staff is nice, they are doing there job, you get hot coffee, bagels and cereal, if you want more there is a Dennys across the street and there is a local diner called the harbor house great cheap food served 24hrs
Lets get real people and stop complaining. And if you like there is a great Marriott up the street for $250.00 per night.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

this is not a hotel, it is a motel

the a/c is the cheap motel kind that makes too much noise all night--- yet you need that noise so you don't hear anyone else around you

the room stank of cleaning fluid-- had to air out the room

rooms have not been painted in 20 years--- not sure why they put granite counters in-- you can't turn a Kia into a Ferrari

tons of smokers stay at the hotel, but since there are no smoking rooms, they all linger outside and smoke and stare at everyone

they have a made up policy if you book and prepay on orbitz, where you still have to give them another $50 deposit... they must have a lot of criminal activity here

i did not like the microchip keys they use

oh well... for $85 it still is an ok value--- they need to write out their policies more clear on the internet and in their lobby

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Dana Point Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!