“Drinks, maybe, but avoid this place for food - way too dirty” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Wind & Sea Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 113 restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dana Point Harbor Dr
Southern California
“Drinks, maybe, but avoid this place for food - way too dirty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I am a San Clemente/Capistrano/Dana Point local and I really like the location of The Wind and Sea Restaurant. So, my husband and I decided to bike there on a warm October afternoon and grab a sunset drink.

After waiting 10 minutes for a seat (when there where many available tables) we ordered Mai Tais in anticipation of our upcoming Thanksgiving trip to Hawaii. As our drinks arrived, two nice women sat at the table next to us and ordered some red wine and discussed the menu. When their wine arrived, there was some type of particles floating in the wine. They were unsure what to do, but we suggested they get the waiter and send it back. Then the waiter brought another round of wine, and again, strange particles floating in the drink. The waiter noted that the wine was being poured into a small serving beaker that had been used at breakfast that morning for orange juice and it appeared that OJ particles had not been washed out of the beaker. So, the ladies asked for a third and clean glass of wine. This time the beaker was clean but the wine glass was filthy. One of the ladies asked for the manager. The manager explained that it had been a really busy day and things might not get cleaned as well as they should. Perhaps they need to rush,or things fall through the washing machine and don't get clean. Needless to say, the ladies didn't find this reassuring. Although offered a free glass of wine, they left. And I don't blame them. The lack of cleanliness was inexcusable and the manager's willingness to rationalize this as being too busy to be clean in unacceptable.

While our drinks seemed fine, I was bothered by these ladies' experience. They came to Dana Point to have a good time and they were met by a touristy restaurant that didn't provide the customer with the service warranted by the prices. I was shocked to see a halibut dinner offered at close to $40.00 and then see the poor service and quality provided.

If you're visiting our wonderful location, avoid the Wind and Sea for food. I just wouldn't trust it to be clean. The location is great and the restaurant should clean itself up and offer locals and visitors a quality experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
Tipperary, Ireland
“Fabulous location and views - lovely staff , food is average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

A party of 20, we enjoyed the views in this waterside restaurant. The staff were amenable and efficient .. drink service was fast .. the food was average.. not bad and no disasters but overall consensus was just " ok" .. fish a little dry , steaks not quite cooked to the liking of those eating .. but nothing terrible.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Orange County, CA
“View Good but Food Subpar”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The Positive: Efficient pleasant staff. Attractive view
The Negative: Overcooked steak Ordered medium rare and was served well done. The waiter was pleasant and immediately returned it to the kitchen. Next one was medium and arrived very quickly; I suspect I got someone elses steak because a 'new' one only took 2 minutes or so. It was tough. The accompanying shrimp were flavorless and dry. The pilaf was from a mix. The salad was iceberg lettuce. My husband's sockeye salmon for $25.95 was the poorest he'd ever received in a restaurant.

This food was not worth a trip to Dana Point. I'd say go there for a drink and a look at the Dana Point Harbor and then head out somewhere else to eat.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Victoria, TX
“Great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

After reading prior reviews I expected mediocre service; we had wonderful service. Food was served piping hot from the kitchen. Garlic mashed potatoes were a bit bland. Fried shrimp was good but over battered. Seafood mix on pasta was very good. Loved the artichoke appetizer. Good view of the marina. Expected nicer facility.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Stamford
“Not somewhere I would rush back to”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

After reading fellow travellers reviews of this restaurant, I was very disappointed. We went here for late lunch. The hostesses were friendly and we chose to sit in the lounge area.

Food was average, but the service is what I really disliked. I don't know what our server was called, but I am offended by the fact that throughout serving us she mimicked our accents which I found annoying and unprofessional. I also didn't think the length of time we had to wait for drinks was acceptable, especially as there were many empty tables in our server's area. Overall I did not find the server genuine at all and this was further reinforced by her interactions with other tables.

There was a comment card provided, asking for feedback but to be honest, I just wanted to leave the place as quickly as possible (we only had a snack and went to another establishment for dessert). Also, I did not know our server's name so could not provide that detail.

I would try other places at Dana Point Harbor ahead of Wind & Sea.

• Visited September 2012