“Great hotel, staff and service” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10050 South De Anza Boulevard, Cupertino, CA 95014   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cupertino
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, WA
“Great hotel, staff and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at the Cypress while in town for the Monkees concert at the Flint Center. As it turned out, we had the happy surprise of meeting 2 of the guys themselves, plus entourage, who were also staying at the hotel! So this was truly a trip of a lifetime for this lifelong Monkees fan. But I digress, back to the hotel itself....

There were renovations going on, so I was a little let down when we first got there to see the steel beam frames blocking part of the entrance. It made getting into and out of the parking garage a little difficult if there were several cars trying to do the same thing. However, once in the garage, there was a door directly into the hotel so we didn't have to worry about maneuvering around that mess to get in. As a dog lover, I really enjoyed seeing the pet station outside the front door with two bowls of water and dog biscuits. Any hotel that caters to pets is tops in my book! :)

The front desk staff was very friendly, the check in was quick and efficient and they filled us in on places to eat and all kinds of other information. A nice touch was the bowl of fresh fruit on the counter, I loved having access to healthy snacks after a long day of exploring the area. It was really nice to be greeted like old friends by the staff every time we walked in. We were only there for 2 nights but it felt like home while we were there. All the staff was great, you could stop anyone and ask them a question and they would either help or find someone who could. We've stayed at many hotels where we didn't feel so welcome, so thank you to everyone who works there for making our stay so pleasant.

Our favorite surprise was the wine hour--free wine and apps from 5-6pm. What a fantastic perk! We took advantage both nights and not only had some good wine, but met a lot of wonderful people and made some new friends. Another wonderful surprise was the free courtesy shuttle! When I expressed concern at the wine hour about the large number of people drinking and obviously heading out afterward, we were told that there was a shuttle that drives guests to wherever they're going! We signed on immediately to have the shuttle drive us to the concert. How wonderful to be able to enjoy our wine then head over for a great night of music without having to worry about traffic and parking!

The room itself was very nice, I loved the funky decor and it was well appointed with everything we needed to be comfortable. We were told that the rooms were about to be renovated, so they would be even nicer afterward. I loved the animal print bathrobes for our use, and the bathroom had the usual amenities--toiletries, hairdryer, etc. My only quibble is that there was a mini bar but no way to use it as a fridge--it would have been nice to be able to stick my milk in there to keep it cold.

The location was great, close to many eateries and shopping. A guy at the bar gave us a great tip on where to go hiking so we got to go explore an area we wouldn't have otherwise known about. Check out Rancho San Antonio, there are lots of different trails and was a very pleasant way to get out and enjoy the gorgeous weather we enjoyed while we were in Cupertino.

So, if you're looking for a great place to stay in Cupertino, I don't think you can do better than the Cypress. If we were ever to return to the area, this is where we would stay, without question. Happy travels! :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
mariastreeby, General Manager at Cypress Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
cxg31s,
Thanks so much for the detailed review. We like to know that we have it all set up for you...Appetizers, wine and a ride to where you want to go. Renovation is underway and I promise to keep animal print robe for you inside the room.
Cheers,
Maria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The hotel is located about 10 minutes drive from Sunnyvale, and just down the street from Apple's campus. It is also conveniently located to the SJC airport. I stayed here on the advice of a colleague, as opposed to similarly-priced options at the time. The room was clean, warm and inviting, and was not the typical sterile business hotel feel. Parking was ample, if not a bit limited, but also free. The staff was quite friendly, and in the morning they had a nice setup with locally roasted artisan coffee and nice teas. I would recommend this to business travelers, and I would If I travel anywhere near here in the future. Also, if you are a member of the Kimpton Intouch Loyalty program, the hotel gives you free Wifi and $10 to spend on the minibar. Definitely a nice touch.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
BrentMcNally, Manager at Cypress Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
SidFarkus,
Our Loyalty program, Kimpton InTouch, ROCKS...doesn't it?! I love to hear when guests get the full Cypress experience! Thanks so much for the great review and glad you could be a part of our family. I can’t wait to welcome you back again in the near future!
Brent McNally, Rooms Division Manager
Melbourne Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel was an extraordinary experience for me. Every aspect of my booking was handled well, reservations and front desk all did a great job.

The stand out ambassadors of this property however were the courtesy car drivers. Their dedication to me getting to where I needed to be was off the radar.

I had arranged to be picked up at the airport, not from an incoming flight but at the arrivals terminal at the shuttle bay where hotels pick up. My cab driver couldn't get his head around that and insisted on dropping me at departures, so I had to schlep my luggage all the way over to the arrivals area. My first sighting of Giuseppe, the Cypresses courtesy car driver, was of him running towards me so he could help get my bags up to the arranged meeting spot some distance away. Once on the way to the hotel he kept reinforcing how much they cared and if I wanted to go somewhere, they would take me there.

Well as it happened I did want to go to the Corporate Apple Store and the normal Apple Store at the Valley Fair Mall. I expected to be dropped at one and make my way to the next in a cab. Oh no, Mohamed suggested he wait for me at Infiniti Loop, then drop me at the mall, then said it was no trouble to come back and get me. Sure enough when I phoned up, they were available to come back to get me. They were there in 15 minutes, saving me the cost of two cab rides. Extraordinary service and value considering I was only booked one night at the weekend rate of $135 and I got to consume $10 of stuff from the mini bar with their compliments - thanks guys!

Then on the way to the airport I needed to go to the post office and because I was the only passenger, front desk arranged for Johnny to take me, wait and then drop me at the airport in time for my flight. It was like having personal chauffeurs for my stay.

This hotel have somehow instilled a great sense of genuine service in their people. The front desk staff waved to me as I walked past. As I went up to bed I realized it was me they were wishing goodnight as I wandered past the front desk. My whole stay was a very special experience and housekeeping certainly understand the needs of a woman traveller. The room was lovely and I loved all the growly prints. I especially loved the ergonomic chair and that the room wasn't full of "stuff" like coffee makers and every single toiletry item you might need. You could call down and get them should you need them, but I loved the clear, uncluttered counter space in the room because I never need all that "stuff".

I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: I was on the top floor which meant it was pretty quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
BrentMcNally, Manager at Cypress Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Margaret,
I couldn’t have said it better myself about the shuttle, the bellman here are rock-stars and I assure you, high-fives went to Mohamed, Giuseppe and Johnny right when I read this. I am so excited to take care of you again in the near future and will make sure you get to Raid the Minibar when you come back. See you soon,
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Nice, clean, very large, comfortable rooms. Well located about half a mile from Apple HQ. Not as great as it looks on the hotel website (no surprise here).

Continental Breakfast just OK.

Service goes unnoticed. Hotel entrance needs a bit of cleaning. Swimming pool is 2 blocks away and bar stops serving food at 10 pm, which might be inconvenient if you are on a busy work schedule.

Right across the road from some basic shopping and restaurants (mainly fast food, Target, etc).

OK for business gatherings.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tomas,
I have to be honest; I was really bummed out when I read this. The front entrance and pools aren’t ideal but we make do with what we have. So far, that includes a fresh coat of paint outside and we start our room renovations soon. When you come back, remember that room service is available 24 hours a day if you get hungry in off hours. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to making your next business gathering GREAT and assure you, the rooms will look better then on the website!
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I just arrived home after spending a delightful nights at the Cypress. The hotel staff was the friendliest I have ever experienced. Free wine tasting in the evenings was always worth the time and we enjoyed sitting outside to enjoy the last rays of sunlight.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Pswals,
Isn’t the staff here just out of this world? They continue to amaze me and I love hearing that they did the same for you! Hats off to them and honestly, everything is a little better when you a glass of wine. Looking forward to pouring for you in the near future,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Location is good Hotel and rooms are great. Stayed on Friday and Saturday for a 40th Bday masquarade party at hotel. Everything was very well taken care of. Walking distance from BJ Restaurant a big plus. Will return when visiting bay area.

• Stayed October 2012
Cabral21,
How fun is that! I love reading comments like this and knowing that we nailed it! Thanks for your review and looking forward to taking care of you again soon,
Eagle, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Pricey for sure, push for discounts, but nice, clean, convenient to South Bay sites and areas. Parking limited and if the hotel has a big event (e.g.wedding) you may easily be parking on the street somewhere. Fitness room small and based on time and people you may have to wait. Staff was proficient but rather by the numbers cold. Room was very nice, cleaned every day, views of parking garage with distant hills was OK but forget the hotel if you really want views. Location is a plus: Go anywhere and shopping convenient.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IdahoEagle_Idaho,
I don’t think that anyone has claimed Cupertino as having the best views so we can’t change that but we can change the hotel for you. Brand new fitness equipment, fully renovated rooms and hallways, a new lobby and paint are all right around the corner. Next time, if parking is a pain, let me Valet it for you and make sure that you done have to fret about anything. See you soon,
-Brent McNally, Rooms Division Manager

Been to Cypress Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!