“Boutique Hotel-quite nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Culver City
Maureen Phillips
“Boutique Hotel-quite nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I just spent 2 nights here and it is charming hotel that has been lovingly restored. Marble sink tops, sweet chandelier over your bed, good linens (not great pillows in my room), giant armoire for your clothes-lovely turn of the century meets modern decor. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. So those are the likes. Here are my call outs- I was facing Culver Blvd and it was noisy. Lots of traffic going by as well as people coming and going from the bar- which i quite popular.
Wish they did room service for breakfast. When I came in with my multiple bags, the "valets' which seem to be part of a group servicing the area, just sat and watched me struggle out of the cab. If you need a gym, go elsewhere. There is tiny room with a few machines in it.
Otherwise, really well done property.
It is in a great location and I would recommend this hotel to my fellow travelers.

Room Tip: for quiet, ask for a room int the back. the business suites are a nice size- one room- not the usual...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
thank you for letting us know about your stay at The Culver Hotel.
I do apologize for the fact our Valet's did not jump to provide the service they are trained and specified to help with. We have a great team of people who would have helped immediately if we knew.
Thanks for the positive stuff and we look forward to taking care of you upon your return.

110 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This Historic Landmark in downtown Culver City is my kind of digs! Staying there was a VERY cheerful experience. Highly recommended by my daughter (who knows I like boutique berthing), it’s near both her home and her work and therefore perfect for putting up parents. Driving around in that neighborhood is surprisingly easy even for oldsters. The location was also great for sightseeing and getting the feel of the city: short walk to two major studios, nice shops and healthful eateries. We were only there one night, but wished we could have stayed longer and will definitely be going back!
The staff was, in our experience, peerless in terms of being super friendly and helpful. We were welcomed like royalty by an amazingly nice young man, a University of Arizona graduate; who better to meet Tucsonans?! And on departure, we voiced some concern about wildfires along Highway 101. Another stellar “associate” then at the reception desk immediately got the latest info and printed out an a safe route to our next destination. Our room #50 was on the street side but no significant noise from traffic or anything else was apparent. Self-parking in Trader Joe’s garage just down the street was no problem at all, and the employees there were also quite friendly. We happened to meet The Culver’s general manager, Seth Horowitz, in the elevator right after checking in, and he proved to be a delightful host! A few minutes with Seth and you know why the whole staff is outstanding. He and they make you feel more like old friends than mere hotel customers!
Old and eclectic but with solid basics (comfortable bed, a variety of pillows, top notch linens, beautiful bathroom, GREAT SHOWER), The Culver itself delivers unpretentious fun in a city full of pretentions. There’s live jazz in the lounge every evening, attractive people obviously enjoying themselves amid a perky blend of new-old decorating touches, retro wallpaper, fresh flowers, great eats and tempting drinks. The complimentary continental breakfast is simple AND “fabulicious:” a big serving bowl of plain yogurt granola, fresh fruit salad, dried raisins and apricots, amazing whole almonds, croissants, muffins, two kinds of fresh bread, juice, coffee, tea, all conveniently set out with big linen napkins, china and civilized cutlery. What I would call the “great room” is used for breakfast in the a.m., luncheon side-walk cafe during midday, bar and lounge in the evening. It’s open, airy and high ceilinged, with big windows on both sides, just what you’d expect of a pre-WWII movie meeting Mecca.
Legend has it that Charlie Chaplin transferred The Culver to John Wayne for a dollar during a poker game. The “deal” today’s visitor gets is only slightly less spectacular.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I loved reading your review and it was a pleasure meeting you, even if it happen to be in the elevator. It is a great place for me to be.....
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We enjoyed staying at this charming hotel for 3 days. The rooms were spacious and the decor was very unique and vintage like. At first I was worried about the jazz music in the lobby being too loud but once you get in your room an turn on the room's A/C unit there is a fan option that acts like a white noise type thing that for me I like to have in my hotel rooms. We slept really great and noise free all 3 nights. If you think the music from the lobby might bother you just request a higher floor. The staff was very nice and we really enjoyed our stay. My only complaint is that the breakfast in the morning is sparse - fruit cups, homemade yogurt, oatmeal w/ toppings, crescents and small pieces of rye bread/small muffins. I wish they had a few more options but it will get you by and is a nice addition to staying in the hotel. It's complimentary so I guess I shouldn't complain. The overall feel of the hotel is just so nice and quaint.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
thanks for your wonderful comments.
We do have a full breakfast/Brunch menu available in additional to our complimentary breakfast.

See you again soon.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The positive:

- Location, location, location especially for tourists
- Old authentic and charming hotel
- Beautiful architecture.
- Taste of hollywood. They are filming there a new TV serie (Masters of sex). It wasn't disturbing at all. They handled perfectly the situation!
- Amazing service (housekeeping, breakfest, front desk, etc). The manager is so good taking care of guests and has a great buisiness sence. I would hire him !
- Music from 7pm to 11pm with bands...relaxing and cozy.

The negative:
1- Small room... I guess nothing could be done as it's an old building and would be a shame to change his design. It's an historical site indeed.

Room Tip: Ask for room 67... top floor... what a nice view !!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
- love your review style
- 67 is special, 3 sides of windows in the "Flat-Iron"
- come visit again. Thanks
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This classic old hotel was better than I expected. The rooms, though a bit small, we quite well appointed. The bedding was very comfortable. The staff was fantastic, very friendly and attentive. Always quick to offer assistance in any way. I was only able to stay one night but will definitely be back. The only reason I did not give this 5 stars is that they were filming a movie while I was checking in so it was a bit chaotic outside.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you so much for joining us and come back soon.
Culver City is the original California "Movie" City. This is where the Silent Movie industry was born. We love the fact that the industry still wants to use our 1924 building in their movies. It should not impact our guest experience, and I do apologize if the initial impression seemed confusing.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have stayed twice at the Culver hotel in the past year. It's superbly located in a hip walking neighborhood with tons of restaurants and a 15-20 min ride to LAX. The hotel is a historic building so the layout is funky with no real check-in area or lobby and one small elevator. The staff is incredibly accommodating and the suite we recently stayed in with our 2 young children could not have been better - 2 bathrooms, 2 flat screen TV's, a double door between the rooms, tons of drawer and closet space, amazing oversized tub. (The first time I stayed in a standard room with double beds and a teeny euro bathroom so it was much less impressive) There is a nice free continental buffet every morning with coffee, juice, yogurt, fruit and pastries. The dining area is lovely in the morning, with outdoor seating and tons of room to spread out. (They also have a full breakfast menu.) Most nights there is loud jazz playing in the bar area so it's not a place for quiet drinks but it wont disturb you in your room. The only critique is that one evening we sat with a big group for cocktails and appetizers but the service was so horrible and unorganized that I am not sure I would recommend it, especially since there are so many great spots nearby.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for the wonderful and positive review.
We have 2 of the 1 bedroom suites and we are very pleased it worked for your party.
Sorry about the service in the bar area that night, we need to respond by staffing-up to meet the success of the business as we grow. This has already been addressed.
See you again soon.

Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed here on a family trip in August 2012. I regret not being able to write a review until now (April 2013).

This boutique hotel is small, but it is very clean, very well kept and the one place I will stay at next time I have to come out to the Los Angeles area. I loved the decor and upon entering the hotel I felt like I had left the filth of LA outside and could relax.
The building is older so they have one little elevator servicing all the floors. If you don't want to wait there is a nice wide set of stairs in the atrium area.
We decided to stay here after reading hundreds of reviews on other area hotels. We planned on visiting Disneyland and nothing in the area of the park seemed to review that well.

This hotel is a bit of a drive to Disneyland because of LA traffic- but we expected it.

While this hotel is what I would call a boutique hotel they were welcoming to a family of four: two adults, a six year old and a 16 year old. There are no activities for children but we came for a clean quiet place to rest not entertainment. If you have small children they will not enjoy this hotel unless you plan on just sleeping here as we did. Again, this is not a hotel with entertainment options for children. There is no pool and I don't think they have a fitness facility- I did not see one. But the rooms are comfortable and inviting.

Our room was a decent size with two double beds, a desk, a chair and a small closet. The bathroom was spotless as was the room. The shower in the bathroom leaked over the side of the tub on the floor. I put towels down to collect the water but I think this is an installation flaw in the glass pane that is supposed to keep the water in the shower. I reported it to the manager on duty when we checked out.
The windows do open and don't have screens. But the room was quiet even though one side of the building is on the street and the other on a courtyard/shopping area.
We all slept great and never once were we disturbed by noises from the hallway or outside.

They do have some musical entertainment in the evening- but we never heard it on our floor or in our room.

The breakfast provided in the morning is nothing to write home about. Juice, bread, breakfast cereal, yogurt and fruit- it was fresh and included in the room rate so I can’t complain too much.
If you want something more there is a bagel place in the parking lot of the Albertson’s up the street. Also nearby is a Trader Joe's that opens at 8:00 AM.

The parking is one block up the street in a shared parking building. The front desk (which really is just a person sitting at a desk in the lobby) gives you a ticket to present for in and out privileges. The fee in August 2012 was $8.00 a day.
You do have to haul your luggage from the parking garage up the block to the hotel unless you opt for valet.

I would say this hotel is a nice get away for couples. But we felt welcomed and enjoyed our stay.
The were happy to provide printed maps and directions for attractions we wanted to visit.

I look forward to staying at this hotel again in the future!!! Well worth the drive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nice review, thank you.
You are right, not close to Disney, but incredibly accessible to all the destinations in Los Angeles County, literally 20 minutes from LAX, the beach, Beverly Hills, Downtown.
We do have an Exercise Room on the 2nd floor, open 24 hours.
No pool on-site, but a City run pool within a mile called the "Plunge".
Sorry about the spill of water from the shower, it was repaired immediately.
See you again.

The Culver Hotel

Been to The Culver Hotel? Share your experiences!