“Good Pasta, but Pricy Small Portions” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Los Angeles, California
“Good Pasta, but Pricy Small Portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Pasta dishes are good, but portion sizes are beyond 'gourmet small plate' and are just downright stingy for the $15-17/dish price. Bread was sub par and tasted closer to pizza dough. Steak was $15 for ~4oz of medium quality beef presented
with little more than herb oil.

Service is friendly and location is convenient, but dinner can easily go over $100/pp. I can't help but think you could get better quality food for less at many other high end eats in the neighborhood.

“Great food, not great venue.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

The Italian chefs here really know what they are doing! The food is amazing. Really delicious small plates of homemade pasta, antipasti, and meat/ fish/veggie plates. It's like Italian tapas. Not inexpensive...but small servings. The place itself is nothing...really a few booths and two tables. The " restaurant" is outside. Bring sweaters if its cool outside. The atmosphere is fine, in the shadow of the old Helms Bakery. The buffalo mozzarella is worth ordering, as is the bread (!). The pasta in lamb bolanese sauce is delicious, as is the pepper sauce pasta. The pork was not worth it-- lots of crackling ( fat) if you're into that. I would return, stay with orders of pasta & bread...skip dessert.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
LOS ANGELES
“Not up to speed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

After dining at the highly buzzed Bucato I would have to see I wasnt impressed, There were pluses and minuses so please understand this isnt intended on being slanderous, just informative as to why I wasnt in a great mood following my meal( great dining leave me a very happy many).

Now to start, we were sat at a table adjacent to the bar which wasnt a bad thing other than a group of 5 people who had come over from fathers office and drinks before diner ( one of the women was obnoxiously loud and the acoustics in that room made it feel like she was sitting at our table) We then ordered drinks,and waited, and waited and waited. Drinks finally arrived the water tasted iffy, so I ordered a bottle of water ( which turned out to not really be bottled water, but reusable glass bottles of vivreau ( a water filter system ) and then we ordered. To start we had a focaccia bread. One of the best I have ever had in the states and even Italy. It literally is the shinning star of this restaurant the texture and weight of the focaccia was perfect. I HIGHLY recommend it. Then the wait came. we waited about 15 minutes for our next course, which I unfortunately do not remember what exactly it was, and then waited about 10 mins after w finished that for our main course. I had tagliatelle with a mock pesto sauce that I felt wasn't up to par with the hype and buzz this is new restaurant is getting. The pasta was fresh, but the sauce was very bland and lacked something to bring the dish completely together.

After dinner, my colleague and I felt there were many holes in the production being run, the food came out very slowly, unbalanced leaving us waiting long periods for food. The restaurants bar is really loud, but the other areas were not. And the food has winners and losers. Something that we felt this place needed a second chance in about 6 months to see where it stands.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“How can they just keep getting better?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Took relatives from Chicago to Bucato and this has become one of my most favorite restaurants to frequent. We had the 36oz bistecca Steak with - of course their fabulous Pasta's - impressing people from Chicago on beef is no small feat! They absolutely Loved all the pasta's we ordered and were Very impressed with the Beef, perfectly cooked and seasoned. They can't wait to come back. Once again Chef Evan Funke made our dinner an exceptional experience. Service is the best I have found and the menu just keeps evolving to where I can't get enough! Thank you Bucato

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles
“Best Pasta in LA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is a great spot. Have had dinner here three times and each time has been stellar.
Pasta is fantastic, all "hand" rolled not a machine of any kind. Evan Funke, the chef from Rustic Canyon, was kind enough to take me upstairs to his pasta laboratory, it sits right above the bar, glass enclosed. It was magnificent to see the tables and rolling pins, see the different shapes and how he does it.
All the food here is fantastic, Evan has a wood burning oven for his breads, meats and vegetables. Stuffed squash blossoms, fried artichokes and fried cauliflower, all need to be eaten more than once. To many pastas to explain, but here are few favorites, cacao e pepe, orecchiette with brocolini and sausage and pappardelle with lamb ragu.
Don't forge the Treviso with dates, tigelle with basically a wonderful lardo.
Service is good, but I prefer the bar, I like the action up there, watching the kitchen and the staff.
Anyway, I highly recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere