“It needs a little TLC” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
St. George, Utah
“It needs a little TLC”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Room was a good price and worked fine for the two of us to stay one night. Friendly and helpful staff. Ice machine on our side of the building was broken, so we had to walk all the way over to the far end of the lot where the lobby was to get ice. The red stir sticks in the wicker basket for the coffee all had brown coffee inside of them that was old and sticky so they'd obviously been used by the prior tenant of the unit. The complementary lotion bottle was three quarters already used by the previous units tenant. I am not a very tall woman, and I had to almost get on my knees in the shower because the shower was not adjustable. It may have been adjustable at one point but it was stuck. There is a working television and refrigerator we did not use. The bed was hard but comfortable for us. All of the lights seem to work well. The room was hot and stuffy when we got here, so we turn the air conditioning unit on and it worked really well had to end up turning the heat on towards the middle of the night and that worked well also. There did not seem to be any noticeable stink coming from the room is smelled pretty pleasant and the counters and surfaces all seem to be pretty well cleaned.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Long Beach, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I just needed a cheap place to stay near Newport after going out one night and I booked this hotel...One of the worst I have ever stayed in...The sink and vanity area had at least 200 cigarette burns on the counter...I didn't even feel safe with the door locked...I honestly put a chair to the door...There is a table and chairs in there but they looked like horrific so I did not even bother to sit down...I pulled off the comforter cause that was not going to touch my skin...I barely slept that night cause I just got creeped out...Honestly it reminded me of one of those places that criminals go to when they are running from the police...I can not make this stuff up...so if you ever watch a cop shows and they are at a 2 story motel yelling on a megaphone to come out with your hands up...I can not say this hotel resembles those scenes pretty well

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Would stay again but only for one night. rooms are small and can only fit one queen size bed. Clean room but the bathrooms need a little maintenance. Outside pool and hot tub were working great and very clean. Hotel next to freeway..a plus.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Modesto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I found this place last minute and had not read any reviews and wasn't happy about staying here but was exhausted from travel and desperate. My room had a terrible smell, the bathtub and shower curtain still had dirt spots, dead spider in the bathroom, lampshade hanging from the ceiling over a lightbulb, large gap under entry door. The doors and jams was all damaged. I did not even take my shoes off to walk on the carpet and dreaded getting in that bed. I was charged $110.00 for my stay. Robbery to say the least. To top it off my brand new car got scratched!!!

Room Tip: My tip is to stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Anchorage, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Warning: this hotel has a bug and cleanliness problem. We want to warn as many people as possible about this hotel. Our rate was $89/night + tax so our expectations were reasonable. We try never to compain and this is our first review post. Although the place is run down, we were willing to overlook any superficial issues until the ants, bugs, and dirtiness became too much for us. We needed to wear flip flops in the shower (shower shoes) because of the tub sanitation and uncleanliness. The "replaced sheets" were dirty, hair and filth everywhere, and the ants were in the bed (and all over). When the issues were brought to their attention, I was given a can of bug spray (raid). Unfortunately, this was a horrible experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

DON'T STAY HERE! Why don't people read these reviews and take them seriously. This place is the filthiest place you have ever seen. It is broken down with broken windows and doors that don't lock right. You will need a shower after you leave there. I didn't look at the reviews before staying there so PLEASE do yourself a favor and pay a little more to stay elsewhere. Sleeping outside would be better. I don't know why the owners don't clean this place up. It really should be shut down. It is OFFENSIVE that the owners let it go like this.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here!none!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Boulder City, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

From the get go this hotel stay was just awful. Whoever owns and operates this place should be deeply ashamed of themselves. Don't they have any pride of ownership? How can they in good conscience collect money from people for such a NASTY place?
The thing is that I read some decent reviews of it and I have stayed at other Vagabond Inns in other cities that were just fine. They are budget for sure, but usually clean and comfortable. And this hotel really looked good on the outside. The pool area was pretty (until you got up close) and the registration office is quite nice. And there are two young women who at the front desk that were really sweet. I feel sorry that they are stuck in jobs at Hotel Hell.
The first room they put me in had no working deadbolt. I am a single female travelling alone so this was just not going to work. What made it worse was that the room was on the back side of the hotel with terrible lighting and no security cameras. I called the front desk and asked for another room. 20 minutes later the maintenance guy shows up. I show him the broken deadbolt. He points to the lock on the doorknob and says in surly broken english for me to use that one. I said absolutely not. I want a room with a deadbolt. Got it.
The second room I got had a working deadbolt but can I just say that it is one of the nastiest hotel rooms I had ever been in. The walls were filthy. The window locks broken. The furniture is scratched and chipped. Drawers falling out of the dresser. Holes in the bedspread. Holes in the sheets. The carpeting was shredded in a few spots. They didn't even clean the toilet properly. I've stayed in plenty of "budget" motels and hotels. So I know what to expect. But this is worse than the worst Motel 6 I was forced to stay in off Hwy 5 in Coalinga. And that place was BAD.
I did use the pool and it was okay until you got up close to the sides of the pool and saw all the mold in the cracked concrete. They have free WiFi but its not easy. They don't give you a code when you check in. You have to call the front desk. They give you a code and then it takes about 10 minutes to find the right sign in page.
I booked the place for four nights, only stayed for two. I would have left sooner but would have lost money. The morning after my first night at Hotel Hell, I found a housekeeper and told her that I did not need housekeeping but could I please have extra towels and some coffee packs for the next day. She said thats not my room and walked away. So I called the front desk and asked for the same thing. Of course I never got the towels or coffee.
Added to all the fun, was the other people staying there who felt it necessary to hold lengthy loud conversations outside my window at 4:30am. This isn't the hotels fault. But I am certain if I called the front desk, I would have gotten no help. What was the point.
The morning after my first night there I got on Priceline and booked a Holiday Inn for $70.00 a night. That is just $10.00 more than I was paying at Hotel Hell. What a difference.
I'm from the Costa Mesa area. Here's a tip. If you are on a budget, first try to bid for something on Priceline (3.5 Stars and above). If you can't get something on Priceline. On Newport Boulevard near 19th street is a Travelodge that isn't bad at all. The La Quinta on the other side of the freeway from the Vagabond Inn isn't too bad either. Just stay out of the Vagabond Inn unless you really don't care or really need a room. Personally, I'd sleep in my car first.

Room Tip: Don't do it
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Vagabond Inn Costa Mesa/Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!