“Decent rooms, decent rates, nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Vagabond Inn Costa Mesa/Orange County Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3205 Harbor Blvd., Costa Mesa, CA 92626   |
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
La Habra, California
“Decent rooms, decent rates, nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a little getaway/work related stay. Reading the other reviews on other sites, most complained about road noise. That really only applies if you get a room on the side by the freeway, its located literally right off the 405. We had a room on the opposite/street side, and it was relatively quiet. Aside from our neighbor constantly slamming their door and stomping past at all hours of the night, it was not a bad stay. The cable is limited, and there is no fridge/microwave, although we stayed in the basic suite. In-n-out is in the same parking lot, gas stations and Chick-fil-a is right across the street, the hotel itself is at a pretty good location, beach would only be about 25 mins away, possibly more with traffic but otherwise that's pretty darn good! It's not a swanky hotel, so don't expect perks. The carpet, while clean, is stained, you can see repairs on the walls, and I don't know about other rooms, but only one lock on the door (the knob itself) worked, so security may be an issue for some. We were able to park nearly right under our room (we were on the second floor) so that was nice since keeping an eye on my car is very important to me. They have a pool/jacuzzi, but we didn't use it, but it looked nice. Check out is at noon, which was nice for a late night. The clerks seemed a bit slow, and even a little rude upon checkout, I can understand running a tight ship, but still, the lady couldn't even smile. To me, customer service should be king, especially since I work in it, and I really wasn't impressed at all with the staff. The cleaning crew were very nice and smiled, said hi, but the desk people were either under-trained, or just apathetic and on the verge of pushy. This may just be the weekend crew, but still...

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter, as this is the side that doesn't sit right next to the free...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Sun City, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Got this room on priceline for $45 plus tax. Yes, it's cheap. And no, I didn't expect much. But even with my low expecatations, this place managed to disappoint. I should have just paid another $10 - $20 and gotten a better room someplace nearby (like the Extended Stay America for example).

There was riff raff and thugs hanging out in front of their hotel rooms. Most of the room (except for bed) looked run down, dirty, old, in need of replacement. The AC hardly worked, my room was hot all night.

the front desk clerk ignored me when I walked in and greeted her (both on check in and check out). She hardly spoke a word and never said thanks, your welcome, etc. Clearly the staff here could care less about being friendly.

There was an RV parked in the parking lot with a dog barking all night, and there were people sleeping in their vehicles in the parking lot (no security at all here apparently).

The only positive aspect about this hotel was the bed and pillows. They were above average for a $45 room.

But I would advise everyone reading this to look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights after someone recommended it to me. The staff was great. The pool area was nice and there are places close by to eat. There is an In-N-Out Burger right next to the parking lot. The rooms are old and need of a remodeling. The first night we stayed in a room where someone had obviously made a smoking room out of a non-smoking room. The place smelled like cigars. Horrible! The carpet was very stained and all of the furniture was well worn. We put up with it because we got there late at night and just wanted to sleep. In the morning we told the staff at the front desk about the smell in the room and they were very helpful getting us a new room for the next night. The first new room we tried smelled so musty and like mold that we asked to change again. The second room also smelled like mold, just not quite as bad and we decided to stay there. Both rooms had the stained carpet and worn furniture and were very dated. I was on an 11 day trip and stayed in five different places and this was by far the worse place I stayed during the entire trip. There are some other motels nearby and if I stay in the area again, I’ll check them out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I posted this review a couple days ago, but don't see it displayed for others to see, which I think is very important. This hotel has gone through some major upgrades since I lived in Costa Mesa 8 years ago. That's the only reason we stayed. But when we had an issue with bugs all over our bed, and were treated like we were by the management...I was furious. The cleaning staff is very, very nice. The pool is great...and the place has really been upgraded. But, when your bed is full of bugs, and you try to get clean sheets in the middle of the night...it's a MAJOR problem for them...and we were told that WE must have put food in our beds! Then, when you complain the next day about it...you are treated horribly...and that's a bad thing after not getting any sleep because your bed was full of ants!! We were told, "It's not our fault there are ants in your room and all over your bed." What???? And this was a 2nd story room. I would never, ever stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are better.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, AL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Starting with the pros, the management and staff of Vagabond Inn, Costa Mesa/Orange Co., CA couldn't have been nicer and more accommodating. The manager/shuttle driver was extremely nice and went to great lengths to make our stay there as nice as possible. The housekeeping staff was A+. They could have been working in the most expensive hotels. The room was cleaned daily, no matter what time we left the room. There were always fresh towels, soaps, shampoo, etc.--even a little animal made out of the washcloth. The front desk staff were also very nice. The price was unheard of! It was very economical for a room with frig, coffee pot, microwave, hair dryer. The pool was very pretty--not just you ordinary rectangular small hotel pool. It was shaped like Mickey Mouse! Nice hot tub also. The hotel also offered free shuttle service to and from John Wayne Airport, which we used. Now for the cons. The rooms are in extreme need of renovation. On this one trip to CA we stayed for 4 night, went to sightsee in CA and came back for 3 more nights. We had 2 different rooms and they both smelled strongly of smoke or mold or something. The carpet and drapes need to be replaced!!! There was an armchair in both rooms that looked dingy--one with a tear in the back cushion. If these renovations were made, the hotel could charge more for the rooms. There is certainly room for that in the price/night. If we returned, we would check first to see if the renovations have been made.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Costa Mesa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I've been staying here on Business. The manager and staff have been very friendly and accommodating. Good option for an inexpensive hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Oceanside, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed here 3 times ....the place is strange...the rooms on the other side are not as bad as the rooms closer to the freeway....appear to be a lot of homeless folks in the units, too. Cheap rooms equal bad housekeeping and deferred maintenance. A little quality control regarding cleanliness would make this place more attractive. Kept thinking about bed-bugs after I saw the room...

Room Tip: There are no "good rooms", just barely adequate.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to Vagabond Inn Costa Mesa/Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!