“Disappointment” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 23 hotels in Costa Mesa
Sydney
“Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed there twice. On both occasions couldn't get enough sleep because of the noisy neighbors, noise from outside, children screaming and running up and down the stairs. I could even hear the neighbors TV and knew what program was on, etc. On my first stay I was woken up at 2 am by loud voices, swearing and smashing of the doors of what sounded like a big party of young people. It didn't stop for hours. I had an important meeting early in the morning, so decided to call the front desk at 4 am and ask for their help. Well, the person on duty made the whole thing sound like I was crazy making up stories and said he had no idea where this party was etc. At this stage people were running up and down the stairs yelling and laughing. In the morning I went to the front desk to ask to give me a room in the other end of the motel. The guy at the front dest still looked like he didnt believe a word i was saying. Thankfully there was a lady guest there who confirmed everything i said and said she couldn't sleep either and she was two floor up from my room. The guy over sudden understood what we were talking about and said that it was perhaps a wedding party and that there were checking out soon. No apologies, nothing was said to show even a slight respect for the guests.

Apart from sleepless nights, I should mention the rooms are very basic, motel style with this peculiar smell. Corridor area and the lift were dirty and smelly most of the time. The pool area never had fresh towels, so I had to call the front desk and ask for them standing and waiting there wet. And the response of hotel stuff would be like "ok", no apologies at realization there was a mismanagement of some sort, but rather making it look like I was bothering them with some silly things and distracting them from their direct and important duties. Once I and my 5 yo son came back to the room after a swim in the pool and realised a little too late that the towels were all taken from the room but no fresh ones were supplied. My son was already in a shower and I was on the phone with the front desk saying that the room service forgot to supply towels. The same young guy's response in a very cold voice with a hint of irritation in it was: "they didn't forget the towels. It's just we don't have any fresh ones at the moment. Please wait and they will be delivered soon". Again, there were no apologies, but it actually sounded like I was again giving him hard time by asking stupid questions. Thankfully I had a not so fresh beach towel we could use after shower. There were also some minor things like non supply of coffee or soap by room service. Room service stuff is also non-apologetic and no smiles or greetings. It came to the point when I would realise something was missing or broken, but wouldn't ask for help from the stuff because of the negativity with which all of my requests were met.

Would I stay there again- never!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

475 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Well, I live in HB which is about ohhhh.... 8 minutes from this hotel. I received a Groupon opportunity to stay and thought, "Why not?" The front desk people are extremely friendly. They make you feel like that they will take care of anything you need and really mean it. The rooms are moderate. Not luxurious by any means, but comfortable and spacious. The room I had in particular, 210, was definitely friendly for anyone in a wheelchair. Especially the bathroom. The parking lot seems big in the day, when there are not a lot of cars, but at night, I had a hard time finding a space. My Groupon comes with a complimentary breakfast, so we'll see how that is tomorrow. They have a heated pool, jacuzzi, and fitness center,which I fully intend on taking advantage of tomorrow. Checkout time is 12, which seems to be a trend with hotels lately, which I really like. I guess my only real complaint would be the TV. Now, I know, you really shouldn't spend too much time in a hotel room--you should be out and about in the intended city, but tomorrow is the NFL playoffs and I don't really want to watch it on an old Analog TV. As far as channels go, they have tons, but with no flat screen, it kinda defeats the purpose. Maybe it's to cut costs, but I would really recommend this establishment to upgrade the TVs.

Room Tip: I'm on the middle floor and can really hear every stomp that happens upstairs. I guess I would r...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
COSTA MESA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Required late night emergency room reservation (first floor of my house got flooded).

Local Ramada front desk did not respond to phone after 7 attempts.

Called Ramada National booking number and booked the room.

National booked me for the wrong day and quoted wrong price.

Drove to the hotel and got a room, and cancelled the wrong date booked by national HQ.

Door to room leaked light all the way around and room was in reasonable repair, not great.

Some thumping noise in the morning from the room above us and some loud conversation by cleaning staff outside of door in the morning.

Managed to get 5 hours sleep before returning home to take care of flooded first floor.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

New Castle, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We were booked into this hotel as a 3-star. This notion went away immediately upon entering the property, as it is an "outdoor" type similar to most Motel 6's (outdoor corridors, all doors and windows face out directly to the parking lot). Check-in was great, but many of the other aspects stunk. The room itself was very spartan, two beds, a bathroom, a TV, a desk with two chairs, and a lazy chair. The room was equipped with a refrigerator, however, it did not work (put a bottle of water in it overnight, was as warm as room temp when it came out 8 hours later). The TV was of the old version, not the nice flat screens that many other properties have upgraded to. A button on the remote stuck. The beds were sort of lumpy, but ok to sleep on. No free breakfast and no fitness room that I saw of.

The room felt humid and I itched whenever the air unit was on. Additionally, there was a sense of "stickiness" whenever I was in the room. My girlfriend didn't have the same experience, but I had never had it before, so I attributed it to some aspect of the room. The experience got better when the air unit was off, however, we didn't really spend much time in the room.

The only window in the room looks right out onto the outdoor hallway and it is full of foot traffic, so most mornings, the drapes stayed closed. Most of the other guests seemed well-meaning (a big bonus of the place is that they seem to allow pets), but there were also a number of the less-than-stellar sort as well, including several who smoked in the rooms (despite the hotel's assurance it was a smoke-free property, these guests would put the door stop into the door to filter out the smoke, and we also found cigars on the railing two of the mornings). Additionally, on our last night there were several folks outside our door shouting to one another about smoking crack and whatnot (this was going on at about 3 in the morning). The only other times I've experienced conditions like this have been when I stayed at a Motel 6.

And overall, that is what I have to equate this property to- Motel 6. It wasn't the worst place I've been, but it was in *no* way worthy of 3-star caliber. The wins include free Internet and parking and the location, but, as already alluded to, there are several opportunities that outweigh the wins. You won't die here, but you will most likely feel uncomfortable when compared to other 3-stars in the area.

Finally, I'm a runner and a good path I found was to head up to 17th, cross Newport, and then turn right onto Orange. Once there you have a myriad of options for running on wide residential streets almost all the way down to PCH and over quite a ways west.

Room Tip: Maybe try a suite for more space?
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Ramada Costa Mesa/Newport Beach? Share your experiences!