“Okay for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Anchorage, Alaska
“Okay for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this motel on our recent trip to Southern California. We decided to stay here because it was close to where we would be flying in and we found a Groupon for one nights stay. The motel was average, nothing fancy. I think we got a handicapped room because our bed was very close to the ground and we had a shower chair and raised toilet seat. Overall a good place to stay for the price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
las vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

My cousin and I stumbled on this amazing hotel while looking for a place to stay. The hospitality was great all around. They have a really nice cafe/bar on the 1st floor which was good and convenient ! We'll be back for sure

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

For this specific price range and hotel type, this is a very good value, particularly if you use your AARP or AAA discount. The rooms are kept up well. Furniture and fixtures were up to date and still had a newer look. We had two rooms, one which had new carpet. But even the room with older carpet still looked good. Staff was extreme nice and hospitable. They are well aware that being near the beach may attract noisy folks, particularly on weekends. The person checking me in let me know that they have a noise curfew and to call the front desk if there are any problems. The quiet rooms will be on the third floor. Ground floor faces the parking lot, so these rooms may be noisier hearing people getting in and out of cars. We did rent one suite, and they are REAL suites (unlike Comfort Suites) with a separate bedroom and sitting area/sleeper. Trader Joes and a Natural Food market is next door, along with Denny's. Distance to beach is about a mile, so you still need a car or rent a bike.

Room Tip: Request a third floor room for quietest location.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Saint Charles, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Ramada Inn and Suites Costa Mesa/Newport Beach was passable as a motel, but it was not what I would call a "hotel". Since my room door opened directly to a narrow walkway which was outside the hotel, I heard a lot of noise from the parking lot and had to deal with smokers just feet from my non-smoking room. The desk staff mostly acted like they were indifferent to my needs as a hotel guest; more interest was paid to running my credit card and noting license information than to providing recommendations or directions after I asked for them. As people entered their lobby, the desk staff rarely acknowledged or welcomed anyone. The fitness center has a lot of glass on one side, which faces outside of the hotel, and that is pretty unnerving if you are a single woman in workout gear. The coffee maker had a strong coffee smell on the inside, instead of being neutral so that I could boil water for tea. The bed sheets had noticeable rips and tears. I justified staying because the price was a lot lower than other places in the area, but I never invited business associates or family members to meet me there.

Room Tip: It is an average motel, so I would keep expectations low for finding a "good" room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Fruita, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

We stayed at this property for a family wedding we attended because of the free shuttle service to the pier (where the wedding was held) and the rate offered to wedding guests. We booked two suites, side by side, on the second floor. We were very surprised upon arrival that it was a motel as opposed to a hotel. None of the pictures on the website show the outside/parking lot entrances to the rooms. It also seemed strange to me that all of the wedding guests were haphazardly spread throughout the three story property. The rooms looked tired, but had the basic amenities we needed and seemed relatively clean. One nice feature is that the vanity is separated from the shower and toilet area which made getting ready a lot easier with the number of people we had. There were only 3 sets of towels provided and the maid refused to give us an additional set for the fourth person staying in the unit. She said we had to call the desk even though her stocked cart was right there in front of my room. We called the front desk and additional towels were delivered quickly, but it seemed silly that this was the protocol. The sleeper sofas in both rooms were very uncomfortable according to those who slept on them. The mattresses were thin and the springs were felt through the fabric. The King sized beds were comfortable and about on par with accomodations in this price range. As for the shuttle service, there were not a sufficient number of vehicles to handle the guests so we went to and from the wedding in waves. I would call a cab next time. If you want to be real close to the beach, this is not the motel for you. It is a little more than a mile and a half to the beach and it is hilly. I thoroughly enjoyed running in the surrounding area and there are great paths to keep you off the roads. The location for eating and drinking is good. We thoroughly enjoyed the staff as well as the delicious cocktails at the Ramada's restaurant/bar. The only problem with the bar is that it only had 5 stools and a wierd pillar in the middle of the bar which made it difficult to visit and meet up with our family there. We did not eat at the restaurant for this reason. Denny's, Outback, several fast food establishments and a variety of bars and restaurants are very close to the property. Overall, this is not a property I would stay at again and it has changed my overall opinion about Ramada for the worse. I prefer a hotel to motel and did not think this property was very accurately presented on their own web page. I think travelers can do better!

Beaumont, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I wouldnt recommend this hotel! It was gross. And not to mention the people there some lived there! And the kids runnning back n fourth on the second floor and the balcony was so noisey!! Terrible stay. Plus beds uncomfortable! Price was ridiculous! 126 and that was the wedding discount rate.

Easton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

stayed for a week while visiting my daughter.clean rooms friendly staff made for a great stay.restaurant on site was an added bonus.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ramada Costa Mesa/Newport Beach? Share your experiences!