“Clean and well maintained” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
“Clean and well maintained”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

After reading some of the reviews here I can only assume that changes have been made.
My impression was that this place was very well kept with good clean facilities, nice staff good pool and very hot jacuzzi which was open late. The rooms we noted had regular carpet shampoos so were kept very clean the gym was small but very functional and the location good. The bar and restaurant was small but nice.
Reception staff were very good.
My only down points were the breakfast was a bit of a let down with the food being lukewarm and not enough attention to ensuring the eggs were cooked.

Room Tip: suprising and good value
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

So, yes after some searching, the prices for this place was pretty good compared to other places in the nearby area of Newport Beach. It is close to restaurants (mostly fast food) and a couple of grocery stores.

But I guess you get what you pay for...The rooms were very basic and dated. Carpets were not that clean and furniture needed to be washed/replaced.

As for the service...it was bad. First day my room wasn't touched. Second day had to wait about an hour for the "handy man" to come replace the battery of the smoke detector of the annoying beeping smoke alarm.

The automated wake up call system didn't work and the high-speed wireless internet connection made me wish I had dial-up.

On the up side the one front desk staff was pretty amazing. Nice guy.

Also if you are to go to this area, beware of the need for a vehicle. The bus service is not available and taxis are expensive. If I return I will stay a little closer to Newport Beach or Huntington Beach, if not at the Beach (Pay the extra for the convenience). The walk was about 40 mins each way to the beach, so not the best place to stay for a beach vacation, without a car.

Also, from the strange crowd of people staying at this place I would probably not recommend this place for families with children...Some shady transactions going on there, if you know what I mean.

To sum this up...spend the extra and stay in a nice hotel and area. It is my last stay in a "Ramada...Nada".

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

price is the main factor here, very reasonable, clean, decent food in the restaurant, staff a bit wooden.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

We stayed at this property for a week in December 2010 and again for a couple of days in January 2011. The rooms are large, well appointed and comfortable. Location is excellent -- walking distance to movie theatres, shops, and a range of places to eat. Adjacent to Growers Direct, where we were able to pick up inexpensive berries and fruit to snack on each day.

Nice (heated) pool and jacuzzi, small restaurant with good, reasonably priced menu attached to the hotel. Internet in the lobby and free wireless in hotel rooms. Plenty of free parking.

The highlight of this property for us was the complimentary shuttle service to the Hoag Hospital (also run complimentary airport shuttles) as we were in town to visit with a terminally ill relative. Shuttle service to hospital was "on demand" from early morning till approx 10pm and was prompt, reliable and very friendly, in spite of our many requests to be picked up or dropped off at hospital each day.

All staff members we dealt with were warm, professional and went out of their way to ensure we had a good stay at this property. Top notch service, clean and comfortable facilities, highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Fort St. James, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

For ordinary, middle-class, professional people this hotel was excellent! Great rooms, services and the staff was friendly and "extra-mile accommodating". The hotel was across the street from the the Pacific Interventionalist Hospital (where I had my Liberation, MS surgery) and these people took care of us. My colleagues and I have traveled widely (America, Europe & Asia) and we all felt the rooms were standard-good; service was friendly and efficient; the food in the restaurant was more than convenient, it was home-made good and reasonably priced.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Ramada for four nights while visiting California and I have to say it was perfect for what we needed. This small hotel is attractive and well kept and the rooms were more than comfortable for our weary bodies which had flown more than 24 hours to get there.

In reading some of the other reviews, it makes me feel some of the guests must be super picky or expect something more than three star service from a three star hotel. If they stayed in hotels in other parts of the world, I'm sure they would be thrilled to bits with the large bed, comfortable pillows and good bathroom facilities which the Ramada delivered.

We did have some problems with the room keys not working but it wasn't really a major deal since all it took was popping down to the front desk to get new ones. We also had some minor issues with hot water running out in the shower a couple of times. But, I'd say the conveniences outweighed the inconveniences many times over.

When we arrived, there were no rooms available for our booking so the manager upgraded us to a suite and was very receptive to our needs. No complaints from us on this accommodation...in fact, I'd say it provided everything we were looking for.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
sacramento
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

We came to Newport Beach for a wedding. The itenerary listed this hotel as an alternative, inexpensive option to the Marriott in Newport. We checked in late, got to the first room and had to leave immediately. It smelled extremely musty. I have moderate asthma and experienced immediate problems. Went down to the front desk, they were very nice, gave me a key to another room a few doors down. We moved into that room, a little better , but still very musty and moldy smelling. After about 15 min, I was having problems breathing. Went down and told them of the problem, they said they would refund our $, and were very apologetic. Nice people doesnt outweigh the bad rooms!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ramada Costa Mesa/Newport Beach? Share your experiences!