“Great place for a meeting” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel

You added Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel to your Saves list
Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3350 Avenue of the Arts, Costa Mesa, CA 92626 (Formerly Wyndham Orange County Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Orange County, California
“Great place for a meeting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for our National Sales Meeting. The meeting rooms are close to the sleeping rooms. The catering staff exceeded expectations - catering to every need. It was a very good meeting and everyone was pleased.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake. Very quiet and peaceful. Be sure to look for the family of tu...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sloan S, Front Office Manager at Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Good morning,

I am so delighted your experience with our meeting rooms and catering team was wonderful. Our catering team is such a vital part of our hotel, it is great to hear that they made your experience that much more enjoyable. The family of turtles is very special to my heart :) They are quickly becoming our unofficial mascot. Thank you so much for your time. Warm regards,

Sloan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just returning from 4 nights at the Wyndham, I must say, I was impressed with the service from the staff of this hotel. They were friendly, helpful and professional.
My room was a nice size with a king bed, a 2/3 seater sofa, big enough desk, a flat screen tv and balcony looking over a small courtyard.
There is a coffee maker, small fridge and a free wifi!
Room service was good, I had shirmp linguinie, it was delicious.
The hotel is just walking distance to South Coast Plaza, a mall with all the designer labels, nice restaurants and cafes. Also not far from VONS supermarket.
All in all,a very comfortable and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sloan S, Front Office Manager at Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Good afternoon,

I can see from your profile that you are a very seasoned traveler, and it brings me joy you found your recent stay pleasurable. Our 4-diamond service standard is something we pride ourselves on, and it is great to hear that our service was professional, helpful, and friendly. Be sure to visit us again soon and check out our newly renovated lobby and bar :)
Temecula, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is nice. It was clean, the rooms were very comfortable, and the surrounding area is high end. My friend and I were just there for a quick night to see Wicked at the theater literally across the street. It was fabulous that we were able to walk and not bother with parking and fighting the traffic while leaving. The only disappointment was that after the play there was nothing to do at the hotel. We had visited the bar earlier and the bartender said the bar closed at 11:00pm. When we got back from the play at 10:30 we were told they already had made last call and if we wanted to take a drink back to our room with us we could. There were others coming back from the play also. It was kind of a letdown to just have to go to our rooms after having such a good time at the play. We had breakfast in the Trumpet Restaurant the next morning. It was excellent and reasonably priced.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Good afternoon,

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and enjoyed the show. We are the perfect hotel to stay at when seeing a show since we are only a short walk away from the venue. I wanted to let you know that the executive team discussed your comments about the bar hours, and we are in the process of working out a strategy to keep the bar open later on theater nights. I am confident that on your next stay you will be able to enjoy a delicious cocktail in our newly renovated bar after the show. :)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Staff is incompetent and could care less about your experience. We contacted the front desk for the WiFi password and were immediately stone walled into the $9.99/day statement without the person ever bothering to look at the package we paid for that included the WiFi. We were then told the password is "reward" which only serves to tell me there is no technical reason a person should be locked out of WiFi access and be forced to pay the additional fee. Which reminds me, don't be surprised if you have to call the desk a few times before they actually answer. If they don't you're told the person you are calling is unavailable.

The gift shop has posted hours that are Never accurate. "Open daily at 7", and staff doesn't actually know what time it opens and has to look, "Sorry it doesn't open until 3pm. There is a CVS across the street.". In the 3 days we were here we did not see the gift shop open once. Although after this experience, maybe that's a good thing. Can they not be bothered to tape a simple Microsoft Word generated sign to the door?

The DirecTV provided services was also out due to the wind but my service at home that's been through 70+ mph winds works just fine after the fact. The first night we arrived we were lock IN our room door to a loose screw in the door frame door latch. This IS a newly remodeled hotel mind you.

A loose screw is probably a more accurate way to describe the management and people at this hotel. Travelers beware, you'll have a much better stay and get a better value elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013
Sloan S, Front Office Manager at Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Good afternoon,

Words cannot express the disappointment I felt when reading your review. Superior service is a standard that we take very serious and, as any hotelier knows, our guest is the most important aspect of the business and should always come first. I sincerely apologize for the service you experienced and can assure you it in no way reflects the 4- diamond service we strive to provide. I greatly appreciate your feedback as it helps us improve on our road to perfection. I sent you a private message and would love if you would contact me directly to discuss these issues, and possible solutions, further. Warm regards,

Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I travel to Costa Mesa and California from Australia nearly every two weeks. Previously I, due to my occupation, have stayed for years at the Hilton Costa Mesa or Marriott Suites at Costa Mesa. Both excellent hotels. The Hilton being a favourite because of fantastic staff and the Marriott because of the lovely rooms (and not the staff....).

This is my first stay at the Wyndham Hotel. I generally arrive around 8am. I always try a new hotel with hesitation but on arrival - what a pleasant surprise!!! I was greeted with the smell of complimentary coffee brewing for people checking in - lovely! The staff - in particular Anthony and Sloan - but extra special mention for Anthony - were exceptional. I was tired. I needed to book a car for the next day. All car hire places are closed on a Sunday usually in Costa Mesa. Anthony spent, by my calculations, nearly 2 hours making sure a car will be at the front of the hotel at 9am the next morning. He was friendly, polite, patient, well groomed, cheerful and continued to attend to the needs of the many other guests checking in - printing out boarding passes, calling engineers - multitasking in an effortless and seamless way. Having achieved my car hire problem Anthony directed me to my room. LOVELY! Timber floors, flat screen cable TV and dvd player with fridge, coffee making facilities and hi speed internet. Bed so comfortable, beautifully decorated. (Particularly loved the way the shower curtain is hung - very exotic!). Eco certified rooms. They have a gym and business centre and restaurant in the lobby area. The pool/cabana area - fabulous.

The hotel is a short walk to my favourite shopping mall - South Coast Plaza, but is also close to supermarkets in the other direction -- a five minute walk. A bus nearby the Plaza can take you to Newport Beach.

The hotel offers 24 hour room service. Strangely, other hotels in the area do not offer this. Room service finishes at those hotels at 11pm. Most inconvenient for a hungry guest with jet lag.

In additon, 5 minutes away you also have the benefit of a mail/shipping/post office with drug store, nail salons and restaurants.

Disneyland is not far by car and Costa Mesa is so much nicer to stay at than Anaheim.

John Wayne Airport is 5 minutes away. Lax Airport a little longer but its worth the drive.

Importantly the area is safe to walk around solo at night.

So finally, the rooms are so spacious with everything at your fingertips - including an ice machine on every floor that WORKS - for those that like to sit and enjoy the calm of this hotel in their room with a well chosen Californian wine.

I highly recommend Th Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel to anyone and everyone!

Once again a special mention to Anthony! You deserve recognition!

Room Tip: As this was my first stay I was on the second floor overlooking the pool. My number one rule is ne...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sloan S, Front Office Manager at Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Good evening Suzanne,

I have to admit that reading your review made me so proud of the property we represent, and most of all, our new Team Member Anthony. Anthony has taken our core values and service standard to heart, and I am so pleased he assisted you so intently. Should you need anything else upon your next visit please don’t hesitate to contact me directly. We look forward to seeing you at 8am soon. :)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

To help my son to move apartments without interfering, I stayed at this hotel for four nights. I was totally impressed with the friendliness and professionalism of the staff, the cleaniness of the room, the excellent services. I was also impressed by the amazing restaurant, the Silver Trumpet where I had breakfast, afternoon tea, and dinner.

Whether it is for business travels or family vacations, from now on, I will choose this hotel chain which makes me feel like home in a totally strange town.

Grace from Boston

Room Tip: I am used to sleep on very firm beds, you may want to select your own bed firmness if it is possible...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sloan S, Front Office Manager at Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Good afternoon Grace,

I speak for our entire staff when I say that experiences like yours are the reason we are in the business. Our 4-diamond service standard strives to make our property your home away from home and I am so pleased that we succeeded. I hope you stay with us again on your next visit to Orange County. You won’t want to miss the unveiling of our newly renovated lobby and bar :) Go Red Sox!
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I got my flu bug and cancelled my flight to stay at this hotel for several days and get well. I was too sick to travel back home. The staff was so incredible, friendly and very accommodating. The rooms are so well decorated and everything about the hotel was wonderful. Even loved the cushions at the pool. Walking distance to everything I needed, South Coast Mall and so much more! I will stay again!!

Room Tip: I loved being close to the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Having a bug and delaying a trip home are never fun or convenient circumstances. That being said, we are so happy we were able to make those less than fortunate circumstances more pleasurable and easier to burden. You will definitely have to stay with us again when you are not under the weather and experience all our property has to offer. We look forward to seeing you again soon and please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Warm regards,

Sloan

Been to Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel? Share your experiences!