“Love the hardwood floor and comfy beds!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel

Save Saved
You added Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel to your Saves list
Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3350 Avenue of the Arts, Costa Mesa, CA 92626 (Formerly Wyndham Orange County Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #3 of 23 hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersGold level
VA
“Love the hardwood floor and comfy beds!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Got this hotel via Priceline @118.00 and stayted couple nights. It's a very nice hotel, love the hardwood floor, comfy beds and location-close to South Coast Mall. The hotel does charge $17.00/night for parking and $9.95 for internet. If there is one thing I say they can improve is the front desk people-they don't seem to be friendly, greeting customers and made us feel not welcome!!! It's a shame..Wish they would put on a big smile...that is a MUST for service business to win your customers and not lose them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

886 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I use tripadvisor all the time to find hotels for our group to stay, and I appreciate those who take the time to post their reviews, so hopefully this review will help someone else. You can't go wrong booking your group with this hotel.

Booked a group for a 8 night stay. Couldn't have been nicer. Our group rate (which was very, very decent) included free breakfast for 4 each day and discounted parking made for a great rate. We all signed up for Wyndham Rewards and received free Wifi for the duration of our stay! A little research can really help with the costs. The front desk staff, the valet parkers (although we didn't use them to park our car), the bar keep, the restaurant staff, and the breakfast room staff were all very friendly and professional. The rooms were great and updated. Beds were comfortable (very important). Bathrooms were spotless each day after housekeeping came.

The hotel was just on its final leg of being updated. I don't think the minimum construction at this point deterred from our stay at all. The restaurant was a little quiet due to it, but we tried the food while having drinks at the bar, and the food was fabulous (loved the truffle fries!). I'm sorry we never got a chance to eat dinner at the restaurant. The menu looked great. The grounds of the hotel were gorgeous also. Very well kept. The flavored water in the lobby was a fun touch. My daugther used the newly updated workout facility everyday and loved it. Very nice.

Area around the hotel was very quiet and well kept. A very short walk across the street and over the foot bridge led us right into South Coast Plaza. Very convenient. Scott's Seafood right up the block was awesome, although a little pricey, but well worth it. Thanks to front desk staff for the recommendation.

Responsiveness of staff:
Management: One morning midweek, our group breakfast time (held in one of the conference rooms at the hotel) was changed from 7am-10am to 6am-9am; as a result several of us showed up at 9:30am for breakfast only for it to all be gone. Didn't mind the time change; just wish we were all notified of the change. I think someone from a different group staying there made the change, but not all groups were notified. I alerted the front desk staff, who alerted the manager, Michelle (I think), who did a great job in handling the situation by letting those of us affected to have breakfast in the restaurant. The staff was awesome in taking care of us; so hungry disgruntled guests turned into full happy guests. Thanks Michelle!

Group sales department: Couldn't have been more responsive and helpful. Mia always answered emails and phone calls promptly when setting up our group prior to our trip. (trust me, calls to other hotels' group sales staff were not as friendly and helpful)

Maintenance: Had to call maintenance on the first night with a problem with our toilet. Maintenance staff came up immediately and took care of the problem. Housekeeping came up afterwards to clean up from the maintenance, although I did have to call them back to do a little better job of cleaning up the water on the floor around the toilet. I was probably being overly cautious, but hey, it was the toilet. They came back again immediately and remedied the cleaning. Very responsive.

Only two very, very minor recommendations -
1. Hardwood floors are great, and for the most part very clean. Recommend making sure when sweeping/cleaning that the housekeeping staff takes care of the area between the bed and the nightstand. Also, I could occassionaly hear someone in the room above us walking in what had to be high healed shoes. Good with the bad with the hardwood floors. I'd have to say I'd take them over the carpet any day. I did have a room with a door adjoining the room next door, and I could NOT hear anyone over there for the entire week even though I know someone was staying there (I had read a review earlier that said you could hear through the walls in these rooms, but that was not my experience).

2. While the group breakfast was hot, delicious and convenient everyday, it would have been even nicer to change up the menu every few days. I think everyone was tired of scrambled eggs, bacon, cereal and pancakes everyday by day 8. Like I said, this is such a minor peeve, and it was nice that breakfast was included with our group rate... really stretching here to find something wrong with this place. The morning the breakfast time changed and we got to eat in the actual restaurant was a nice change in that we got a couple of different menu items to select from. The eggs benedict was a big hit that morning. Also, it would have been nice to have toast with breakfast for the group breakfast. I will say the coffee was excellent. Wish I knew what kind it was.

I did not hear any complaints about the hotel from the rest of my party either. I think everyone enjoyed their stay, and we will definitely look into using the Wyndham again on our next trip out to CA.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Earth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in late July 2012 in a Junior-Suite. The rate offered at Travelzoo was excellent. The hotel is newly renovated and all rooms and suites now offer hard-wooden floors and as well as slings doors to a small balcony. All was new and clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed our stay here. As Wyndham-Rewards member WIFI is free of charge. Self parking is 17 $, valet 23$. We had chosen valet and the little extra was worth it. Compared to 40$ or 45$ I had paid in LA or San Diego it is a fair price for an excellent service. For breakfast we went to Panera Bread 2 blocks away. If in this area I would recommend the Wyndham OC, especially if you get a good rate.

Room Tip: Junior suites offer a separate living room with a sleeper sofa.
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband stayed at the Wyndham OC for business. He accidentally left some clothes in a drawer. Yvette from the front desk was so great and about helping him get them back. Beyond that, the hotel was very nice and well-located for his business travel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We booked this hotel room through Hotels.com. They had the best price online. The two queen bedroom was $182.62 a night. We also paid an extra $17.00 a night for parking. The biggest disappointment was an extra fee they charged for Wi-Fi. For the price you pay here a night the Wi-Fi and a breakfast should be included!

Ashland, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

The rooms were very nice with their wooden floors and granite style bathroom floors. However, I liked the apparent "sound proofing" of the walls most of all. I heard almost nothing from adjoining rooms although I saw plenty of kids and loud adults in the hallways. Room service was excellent, quick and fairly priced. The front desk personnel couldn't have been nicer everytime I passed by. The only real negative was the $17 parking fee. I have certainly paid much higher but didn't quite expect it here. I am assuming that most people who stay here know about Southern California traffic but I left the hotel two days with big plans only to get stuck in traffic and eventually turning back. There is a very nice Mexican restaurant nearby on Bristol Avenue (or street) called Acupulco. It was relatively cheap and they really seem to appreciate your business. The weather was fantastic (early July) but I guess the people at the Wyndham weren't in control of that. Overall, a good solid four star that I would highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

While there are so many hotels to choose from in Orange County, most of them offer free parking, free hot breakfast, free wifi. Not at this hotel!!!

We booked the hotel with a coupon code that said, free $50 visa gift card, free self parking at $109 per night. As of this writing and that we completed the stay, this promotion is still on their website. The rooms were available, but that promo code DO NOT exist!!! We called their reservation center, they said "it is subject to availability". Take it off if it's not available. Don't waste our time!!!

The reservation was made for $109 per night with no perks, at the time of check in, they put in the charge for the room for $135, on top of $17 a night for parking. They said we need to bring our confirmation letter to get the discount price. WTF. This place is such a rip off!!!! They made to put initials on every single place they want to charge you all the fees including room keys ($2 if lost). This is my first ever staying at a Wyndham hotel. I will never ever again stay at any hotels that owned by Wyndham!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel? Share your experiences!