“Absolutley beautiful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel

Save Saved
You added Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel to your Saves list
Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3350 Avenue of the Arts, Costa Mesa, CA 92626 (Formerly Wyndham Orange County Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersGold level
Jonestown, PA
“Absolutley beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

This is luxury, in my book. Everything is beautiful - the outside courtyard, the gardens, the lobby - everything! The rooms are perfect in everyway important to us. Absolutly comfortable beds, and great bathrooms. My only complaint would be the AC unit turning on and off. I'm a light sleeper, so this was a bit of a bother. I plugged in my ipod and turned on "white noise" to overcome the AC unit. I wish I could have found a way to at least keep the fan running. Anyway, compared to everything else, it was a minor problem.
Having said that, however, this is a fancy place - so typical of this type of establishment, nothing is free. Wi-fi costs $10 per 24-hour period. No problem though, since I have web on my phone. Breakfast is expensive, but very good and very "gourmet". The staff is absolutely top flight!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Southlake, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

This is a follow up review to one posted about a year ago. My husband's company uses the Wyndham as their corporate hotel so I've had the opportunity to stay here quite a few times now, and some things have changed for the better and other things just irritate me all the more. Since the Wyndham now hands out little cards asking the guest to PLEASE post a Tripadvisor review I will do so, in the hope they will read my comments and perhaps actually do something to improve.

Our latest visit (January 2012) was our first with our three year old son, and he actually pointed out a few things that I will mention here. First, he said "this is a nice place" while walking down the hall to the room and indeed the hallways are very nice, especially the funky carpet. He also appreciated the wood-effect floors as it made it easier to play with his remote-controlled Buzz Lightyear toy.

BUT - the bathtubs have been replaced with stone-lined stalls, which would have been great 1) had the door closed properly instead of flooding the floor and 2) had my son not been terrified of showers. I had to take a sand-castle building bucket we brought for a trip to the beach and fill that with water so I could wash him down. Since most guests will probably not be 3 year olds I will not knock them too much for this.

He needed those baths, though, because the amount of dirt that he picked up playing on those hardwood floors was disgusting. The floors need cleaning more often than they're being cleaned now, IMO.

There is a large plaza area in the back of the hotel that has a lake in it, which is beautiful to look at BUT there is a guy with a power washer out there in the morning at least three times a week (it seemed to me) so if you open your window to let in the cool air (the rooms are very warm for some reason) you can't hear yourself think from the noise outside. Do they REALLY need to power wash the sidewalks that often? I doubt it.

There are great flat screen tvs in the rooms, but the incoming feed looks like it comes from a TV antenna. The cable channels are not clear, they have video "noise" all the time. The mini fridge is great to have but the da*n thing woke us up constantly as it cycled in the middle of the night. The room furniture looks cheap and in the multiple times we have stayed at this property we have NEVER had a chest of drawers that worked properly, there are always a couple of drawers broken in every room.

Food - we avoid eating here (too many other places in the area to go) but one morning we thought it might be easier to order room service. I ordered a continental breakfast for myself and pancakes for my son. My three year old refused to eat his pancakes because they were "yucky," so I took a bite and boy was he right, they were dense and stale tasting. My continental breakfast pastries were a croissant that tasted like it had been frozen and then reheated (or cooked from frozen?) and a very mediocre blueberry muffin. The fruit was good, the coffee was fine, and the server was very nice but we left most of the food and vowed to continue eating out.

After all this negativity (sorry Wyndham), I would just like to say that the staff are generally great, helpful and cheerful and courteous. The exception is the older lady who works mornings at the front desk sometimes, I avoid her at all costs since she rolled her eyes at me when I needed to leave one day early last fall to return home to my sick child; earlier dealings with her solidified my view that she is no credit to the hotel.

In conclusion, this hotel is OK for a one night stay to go to the theatre or shopping at the South Coast Plaza, but being here more than two days is no vacation. They are constantly renovating, which is nice, but they need to invest in new bedroom furniture. We will return because that's where we're put, but if we had a choice we would probably try another hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the inner courtyard if you don't want to listen to power washing in the mo...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
MrFitzgerald, Manager at Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Dear ElnorEast - Thank you for taking the time and posting your detailed and candid feedback for improvements .
We actually only have 44 rooms with new glass showers, and all the other rooms have a bath tub and shower. My staff should have offered, once they noticed you where traveling with your son, to be placed into a room with a bath tub. Having a three year old myself, I understand the challenging time you must have had to convince your son into a shower. I will re train the staff to inform our guests of these options.
I am sorry you have been disturbed by the venue near the lake, although we do not manage this area I will address with the president of the board that controls this area.
To address TV signal I have called our provider and they will be carefully adjusting the signal in every room. This has been adjusted once but seems that the adjustment must have affected other rooms.
Cabinets: Ownership takes pride in offering upscale and quality products, however one of the staples of the company is to be eco conscious and reuse product where it is practical and reasonable. With that in mind I am contracting with a company that will be repairing all furniture and touching up where necessary.
I would like to reference your march 9th review on concerns regarding the shower curtains and lack of light while showering. We have since March, installed lights in 90% of bath and shower rooms in the hotel. I hope you notice we take all guest feedback seriously and are commented to requested improvements
Thank you for the kind comments regarding staff, and please contact me the next time you are in town. I will love to meet you face to face and discuss all continued improvements we are making to the hotel. Your feedback brings insight to how we may better the experience for our guests, and for that I thank you.

Most Sincerely,
Nathan
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

The rooms in the Wyndham had a nice appearance - wood floors, updated appearance - although the bathroom and room itself were both a bit small. The location near South Coast Shopping Center & Segerstrom Concert Hall was convenient, with other shopping centers and restaurants conveniently nearby as well as easy access to the 405. The heated pool was also good for a nice swim.

In the evening, we heard noise from the hallway and neighbors. One of our neighbors received many phone calls and the ringing was loud enough that it could have been in our bathroom. We parked in the $15/night self-park which was okay until the 3rd day when we didn't have access during the day. When we went by the front desk in the evening, they said a mistake had been made at check-in so they had to fix it then. Having to make some toll-free calls, I asked the front desk if those were free. The clerk looked & said 'for ByRequest members like yourself, it is' and then said he had to make some adjustments to ensure they were free. On check-out, we received a bill which didn't have any charges for phone calls but when I checked my credit card later I saw that extra fees had been charged.

When I called to ask about this, the clerk said 'oh, phone calls aren't free if you booked the room from elsewhere even if you are a ByRequest member. Sorry if someone told you wrong'. It wasn't a big deal but it seemed wrong for them to explicitly tell me it was free, then charge me after the fact (not on final bill at check-out), and then explain that they were sorry they told me wrong.

I saw a TripAdvisor 'free room upgrade' for this hotel so I printed it out and presented it at check-in but the clerk (who apparently (a) didn't enter my 3 nights of hotel parking correctly & (b) told me the toll-free calls were free but were not) didn't bother to do anything about the voucher.

The hotel itself was pretty good except for the minor annoyances I described above.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
MrFitzgerald, Manager at Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Wyndham Orange County. It is our goal to ensure every guest has a wonderful and worry free time while staying at our property. I apologize for the miscommunication by staff, this is unexpected and certainly not our standard. I have addressed your concerns with my staff and although as you say minor still an area we can improve on and be consistent.
Thank you again for taking the time to review our property and we hope to see you soon.
Best Regards
Las Vegas Valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

We added an extra night to our stay in the Newport Beach area and wound up getting the Wyndham at a steal.

My three-year old, who LOVES chairs, had a field day with all of the beatiful seating areas around the property.

The rooms were clean and well appointed, but nothing to brag about. The bathroom had plenty of space for my wife's mounds of make-up and hair products, and the floors were spotless.

Kudos to the management for ensuring the grounds were so well kept and having a friendly staff.

Yes, there IS a fee for parking your vehicle, which is expected of just about any decent hotel these days. Especially in SoCal.
Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

I'm a pro musician, I've traveled the world for over 20 years, I've stayed in some of the finest hotels in the world, and my experience at this Wyndham was super from start to finish. I was in L.A. on business for the NAMM show, Jan 2012, andI decided to stay 20 mins away from the Convention Center. I've stayed here before when I had played the Orange Performing Arts Center, and I've been to the area over and over again, but the renovation on this hotel is great, and the staff was just wonderful. I got a great price on their website for a 3 night stay, and they ended up giving me a lake view room on the 5th floor; the wood floors, the sliding door I could open for fresh air, the LCD TV, the nice bathroom with granite counter, everything was top notch. The parking was a wee bit expensive, but I got the internet for free because I belong to the Wyndham Rewards program. The first night there was a message on my phone, the front desk said they had a cheese tray for me, they brought that up, with 2 bottles of water, and a nice half bottle of wine! Super!

The room was very clean, lots of light, walking distance to Starbucks out the back, across the street from the mall, driving distance to In & Out Burger and Trader Joes, and all the other stores you need close by. 45 minutes from LAX, and 20 mins from John Wayne Airport.

The room has refrigerators but I would really like a Microwave. And I would like to have MSNBC in the TV programming, along with the CNN and FOX that they have. The room was very quiet, everyone who worked in the hotel was very nice, and it had an upscale feel to it.

I had a completely pleasant stay at the hotel, and I was quite pleased. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Upper floors looking over the lake in the back with small or medium balcony are great!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

This is a great hotel. The hotel lobby area is a nice small area and combined with the bar/lounge.
There is valet and self covered parking (garage). It is about $15.00 a night to self park.
The rooms are nicely decorated with hardwood floors, desk, couch, chairs, and t.v. They have Wifi but there is a surcharge.
We had a standard king bed. It was very comfortable. The bathroom was very nice with a spacious countertop. Great shower head and water pressure.
The room came with a fridge which we needed traveling with kids.
The balcony was perfect for my morning coffee. Our view was overlooking the pool area and the small lake filled with swimming ducks. To relax on the baclony was a good start to my day and a good finish before bed.
The lake has a walking path around it for a nice stroll. There is a restaurant connected to the hotel but I didnt dine there.
This hotel is near the 405 freeway, South Coast Plaza, and all kinds of shopping and restaurants. The hotel is across the street from the Performing Arts Center. It's about 5-10 minutes to John Wayne Airport and 20 minutes to Newport Beach. Disneyland is about 10-15 miles. I would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: The hotel is having minor renovations. Bring your own water or snacks. They do not have vending mach...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed here for one night in December of 2011. We got a very reasonable price from Hotwire and were skeptical upon arrival. They allowed us check in early nd gave us a very nice room on 6th floor.

The room was upscale looking with hard wood floors and granite counters in the bathroom. Everything looked very clean. Beds were comfortable.

The next morning we noticed that the bath tub was badly clogged, but we had to hurry and catch a flight. So, each of us ended our shower with 8-10" water in the tub - yuck! We notified the front desk during check out and got a kind apology. We were told that they would look in to the problem - hopefully they did.

Other than that, beware of parking charges of $15 a night and internet charges of $9.95. Those little sthngs add up quickly and Hotwire rates stop being a good deal.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
MrFitzgerald, Manager at Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I appreciate your positive words on the décor and quietly of the room on the 6th floor and the comments on the new double pillow top beds. I am so sorry that you had a difficult time getting the water to drain quickly in the tub. We have developed a culture at The Wyndham Orange County to anticipate every situation that may arise and have trained on preventative measures so guests have no reason to call to have anything repaired while enjoying their time in the guest rooms. In honor of the above commitment and based on your quality feedback I am having every room drain purged and inspected to insure the quickest flow possible. Thank you again, and I hope you return soon.

Been to Avenue of the Arts Wyndham Hotel? Share your experiences!