“Beautiful Hotel in the Heart of Shopping District” 4 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Covina, California
“Beautiful Hotel in the Heart of Shopping District”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

The Westin @ South Coast Plaza is a BEAUTIFUL Hotel located @ the 55 & 405 freeways in Costa Mesa latterly right across the street from South Coast Plaza. The hotel room in which I stayed in had a stale air like of a smoker. (IM assuming someone broke the rules as it is a 100% smoke free hotel) The Bed was heavenly and soooooo comfortable. There is a mini fridge but empty... (Sadness) and the kicker is you have to PAY FOR WIFI... a Major hotel like this needs to have something free! Parking is a separate fee. Just include EVERYTHING into the one price! Employees at front desk were professional and helpful. There was a little snackbar/coffee shop next to the front desk. Pool was heated and pool grounds were nice! If I was in the aread again, I would have no problem staying at this hotel!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear JoPeSh3,
Thank you for letting us know that our front office staff was helpful. We value you as a guest of Westin and look forward to your return.
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
San Ramon, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Love my Westin South Coast and this stay was the best yet. Nana and Theresa took care of me and as a Platinum SPG member, I was upgrade to a luxury one bedroom suite...so cool. 1620/1622 Parkside Suite is near the elevators. Other suites include the corner unit 1609/1610 California Suite and 1628/1629.

The hotel is close to SNA airport and across the street from South Coast Plaza (large upscale shopping mall, known as heaven) and adjacent to the Segerstrom Center for the Arts. It is just off the freeway and very convenient location. The hotel has many large ballrooms where events and wedding are held. There is a nice pool and Fitness Center.

As you walk in, the Lobby Bar is situated right there, with the water feature just pass outside and the bar menu has appetizers, sandwiches, salads. Platinum members get a coupon for $12. per person for the Grab N Go Starbucks breakfast. Opens at 7 am and has sandwiches, fruit, drinks, snacks.

The suite was a standard hotel room with Heavenly king bed, desk/chair, bathroom. The door leads to a large living and dining area with separate entrance and bathroom, wow factor ! The room was expansive and the decor was tasteful and modern. The Platinum members receive free wifi and 2 bottle water per day, in the room.

The bathrooms have standard bath tub/shower combo and I felt that they are due for renovation. The robe was nice. The only issue I had was with the HVAC, but maybe it's just me, since I like the room to be toasty. The maintenance crew promptly came to try and fix it, but it was still chilly.

Standard in the room is coffee maker with Starbucks and Tazo tea. You can opt for the "Make a Green Choice" and forgo the room cleaning, which you will get a voucher for $5.00 per day for hotel food or 500 SPG points. The room had a great view and the TV had OnDemand in room movies available. The living room had a microwave and mini refrigerator, which was nice to have.

Next door is Scott's Seafood Restaurant and onsite is Pinot Provence, operated by the "Patina Group". Lots of great dining choices at South Coast Plaza and in the surrounding area. The valet parking is steep $30. and self parking $20. You can risk parking for free, at South Coast Plaza and walk across the street after you drop off the luggage.

I think the friendly service at Westin South Coast is what made my stay special and I had a late flight out, so they let me check out at 6 pm! The manager is Mike Hall. I am definitely looking forward to my return !!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear SusieJue,

Thank you for giving us your valued feedback regarding your experience at the hotel. It is great to know that you felt our team was friendly and that you look forward to returning.
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

One of the best of hotels in Costa Mesa and really busy in the morning. Being right across a mall is a nice added bonus and they have a great theater and small walking park. With minutes away from the airport, this is my favorite hotel spot.

Dear Tony N,
We are excited to be your favorite hotel of choice. We look forward to your return.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I travel for work and stay here every week. Most of the front desk reps even recognize me when I check in every monday. For the most part, I don't ask much of them. I go to work in the morning, work out in the evening, go to sleep at night. The room is always made up to perfection every day. I once had to stay here over a 2 week period and asked if there was another method of laundry service to avoid what would be a $250 laundry bill using their out-of-house service. They graciously offered to use the housekeeping facilities to wash my clothes. I'm sure that's an exception but one that went far in my book.

They only lose a star on the food and drink aspects. I expect to pay a premium for both but their entrees tend to be bland, boring, and somewhat meager portions. Their mixed drinks are on the weaker side as well. I typically avoid room service and the bar.

I hate to end the review on a bad note since I enjoy this hotel so much. As I said earlier, the rooms are great and the staff is fantastic. The location very useful for me since I work right down the road but you also have quick access to the freeway to go to Newport Beach, LA, or San Diego. This is a quality hotel and I will continue to stay here.

Dear Kevin C,
Thank you for letting us know that you truly enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the feedback regarding to our in-room dining and lobby lounge. We take your feedback very serious and truly care about what your personal preference is so we can continue to improve.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Westin is a great brand; it's even better overseas. My first time at this location was a delight. Greeted with a warm smile upon check in (sadly this is a lost art these days). The front desk was empathetic to my needs and introduced me to the bellman. Convenient location to 405 Fwy and across the street from perhaps the best shopping mall in the country. Ill be back.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that if your room faces over the pool and waterfall, the live music may keep you up if...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Esqtodd,
Thank you for providing us feedback that our team welcomed you with empathy. It is very important to us that our team delivers the experience that helps you feel at your best.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I arrived lat on a Friday night greated by the young front desk associate. I had asked where the nearest CVS was and shee asked what was I looking to purchase. When I stated cold medication she came from the back with several samples for me to choose from. The expereince did not end there. She closed the experience out by asking if I would liket some soup and crackers sent to the room. Very good example of reading my needs.
Hotel was clean.... long lings at Starbucks. Really like the complimentary self-park across the street. great visit!!!

Room Tip: Unload out front and drive around the corner to self park in garage.
Green Features: Make a green choice option on cleaning the room. options to full fluss or low flow flush. Paperliss billing.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear msneen,
It is great that our front office staff was able to assist with your experience when you came. We look forward to your return.
Cypress, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I was a coordinator for an event held at the westin south coast plaza. The event was for approximately 100 people, a 20 year class reunion. The banquet room was set up on time and even early. I asked the captain, Jose Ornelas, for another table. He quickly set it up, no questions asked. In fact, whatever I needed, the wait staff, under the direction of Jose, took care of it.
Our event was a buffet dinner, which was quite tasty. It included lots of fresh vegetables and other healthy choices. The wait staff are very well trained, prompt and courteous. Jose appears low key but clearly is in control.

Dear janeyjans,
Thank you for choosing our property for your meeting. It is great to hear that Jose from our Banquet team made all the difference.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Mesa
Fairmont Newport Beach
Fairmont Newport Beach
#13 of 17 in Newport Beach
3.5 of 5 stars 1,031 reviews

Been to The Westin South Coast Plaza? Share your experiences!