“Great location!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“Great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

All Westin Expectations met here! walking distance to many fantastic restaurants. We had breakfast at Hotel's restaurant, Pinot Provence. Great breakfast in a great rustic French setting. I recommend this hotel if you have business in the Costa Mesa area, bring your wife along so she can go shopping at South Coast Plaza.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Philp N,
Thank you for staying with us at The Westin South Coast Plaza Hotel. It is wonderful that you felt our location met all your needs.
Guest Relation Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

This property has severe uncleanliness issues. As a Platinum and Ambassador member with SPG, I travel for business every week and over the past 11 months of staying at this property (only because it is the only SPG property near my client), I have been shocked at the level of filth I continue to find in my room stay after stay. Several months ago, I encountered bed bugs crawling across my pillow when going to sleep. Not to mention the obvious health and sanitation issues, after experiencing the extreme inconvenience of packing up all of my belongings and switching rooms at 11pm, the way the situation was handled by hotel staff was outrageous . Nobody from the hotel, let alone management, called me the following day to attempt to understand the situation, to see if I needed my clothes cleaned of bed bugs and to seek timely resolution of this unfortunate experience. After having to specifically ask for someone from hotel management to contact me, and even though I let the hotel know that I discovered two bug bites on my leg the next day, I was passed around by 3 different managers for a period of 6 weeks before the hotel could finally provide some sort of resolution. This alone was shocking, but especially for an SPG member who has been loyal to their hotel for many months and who is in SPG's highest status program.

In two subsequent stays, I again encountered uncleanliness issues. Upon check in, I found the room to be poorly cleaned, finding hair in the sink, bathtub and on the sheets and pillows, requiring me to ask for a new room. After checking in again the following week, I encountered the exact same situation in the room, finding strands of hair on the pillows and sheets. I asked to switch rooms and the next room was surprising worse. It appeared as though one of the pillows on the bed was dragged through the floor of a hair salon....disgusting. This required me to ask to switch rooms a second time....at this point I had been trying to check-in for almost an hour and I still did not have a clean room.

After having to switch rooms 3 times in the span of two weeks due to uncleanliness issues, on top of the previous experience with bed bugs, I have found this hotel to be the filthiest I have ever stayed in. Together with the rooms already being dated, these severe sanitation issues and overall mismanagement of repetitive occurrences of these same types of issues make this property definitely one to avoid.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear shibs23,
Thank you for your feedback. We will continue to ensure that our property team works hard to provide experiences that allow our guests to be at their best. Our apologies that we did not deliver that type of experience for you when you were with us.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed here recently for a long weekend. The hotel is nice and clean. The lobby is pretty and the water feature adds a nice touch. When we booked we had wanted a double room, but there were none available so we said ok to a king with a roll away. When we checked in the roll away was not in the room yet so I called and it was there shortly. Everything we requested was taken care of very quickly. The room had plenty of room for the 3 of us and even though it was by the elevator we were not bothered by noise.
A couple of things we did not like: the shuttle transportation could not be reserved so we had to search and wait for a cab one morning. We were able to get assistance with getting the cab and it ended up being cheaper so that worked out well. Also, the restaurant is very small. The morning we tried to eat there we could not get a table so we had to go searching for breakfast, fortunately there are a lot of options near by. There is a grab n go place in the hotel, but the hot options are very limited.
This hotel is in a great location; a short drive from several places and there is a plenty in walking distance as well. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: I heard there are not many double rooms so be sure to request it on your reservation
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear tracyandalex,
Thank you for letting us know that you felt you could relax when staying with us. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here on our babymoon. This was actually the best Westin experience I've ever had! We redeemed Starwood points to stay here and chose this location to be close to Newport, Balboa Island and Laguna.

First, Joe, who checked us in and casually asked about our purpose for the stay. Less than an hour after checking in we were extremely surprised by a gift of healthy treats and chilled waters along with a hand-written note from Joe. He even remembered the baby's name!! We were blown away!

Second, they had a self-park option which was reasonably priced and convenient.

Last, the pool was surprisingly nice, clean and lovely to use.

Overall this was an excellent Westin property which surprised us a bit due to the corporate Costa Mesa location. Can't wait to come back again sometime.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Mr.&Mrs.D,
Thank you for staying with us. We are delighted to hear that Joe made an impact on your visit. We look forward to your return visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed with family with small kids. Spent 4 nights here.great base for day trips to beach and convenient for shopping at mall. We had a room that looked out on pool which was beautiful. Pool was a great place to hang out with free wifi. One point though is that the pool is very deep. Limited shallow area so not ideal if children are not strong swimmers.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Heather M,
We are glad that you felt that our location helped you be able to shop and enjoy a day trip.
Cupertino
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This Westin hotel is the best Westin that I have ever been to. It looks comfortable and is furnished with a neat look. The lobby is large and spacious with the access to an outdoor pool and a fountain. The rooms are pretty cozy with a wonderful view looking out towards the front of the hotel, where the big Christmas tree is. The pool area is pretty beautiful, and although I have not swum in it I say that the experience of swimming in the pool is wonderful. Overall, this Westin is very new and luxurious.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Annie M,
Thank you for staying with us. We strive to meet all your needs when visiting and we are refreshed to hear that you felt our hotel was the best Westin you have experienced.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I was recently here for a 1 night stay for business.

It is a typical older Westin property - the lobby is fairly new but the rooms could use an update soon. Everything is clean and functional.

I used the pool but they could do a better job with the cleaning. There are a couple of empty plastic cups sitting on the bottom of the pool. I appreciate I was there in December and it is not heavily in use but it should be clean and trash free. The gym is also interestingly located in an annex.

The wifi internet was very fast.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Davidpoon13,
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We hope to see you on your next visit.
Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Westin South Coast Plaza? Share your experiences!