“Excellent business stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent business stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I spent very little time at the hotel as I was out at 8am -6pm everyday, there for an hour to freshen up and then out for the rest of the evening, arriving back at 1-2pm every day to sleep. It was just what you need after a long day; lovely shower with constant hot water, huge bed which I have to say is one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in at any hotel and the rooms were really quiet. We spent one evening sat by the fountain in the courtyard area/lobby for a few drinks although this was ridiculously overpriced so I wouldn't recommend this to others when there are places nearby. Can't comment too much on the restaurant either as we only ate there once for breakfast which was also very overpriced! All in all, for a business trip, I'd highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear JUK5,
We are glad to hear that you had an excellent business stay when with us. We hope to see you on your next stay.

499 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I took awhile to write this review, as I've stayed at this hotel often.
It gets points for convenient location, but there are a bunch of other hotels in the area.
Every time I'm there I just find that the service isn't up to scratch for a Westin.
Too many times I've had to schelp my bags around.
Too many times I've had to wait for someone to park my car at night.
Too many times I've run into some huge group (last time it was some event & Glady Knight, who was Pip-less) in the lobby & had to dodge & weave my way around them.
This really isn't a good business hotel, which is unfortunate if you want an SPG property in the Costa Mesa/Irvine/Newport Beach area (and the St. Regis is outside your corporate budget).
It seems they cater more to shoppers & those attending local events.
The room service offerings are pathetic.
There is no club lounge.
On the plus side, there were plenty of outlets in my room, which was great.
The list:
Shower pressure: Average. This isn't a tall or big hotel, so that was surprising.
Front desk: Nice, but very laid back. When you are an SPG elite member you do expect them to go out of the way just a bit.
Bed: Average.
Sheets/Bedding: Average.
Towels: Below average. I don't consider that banded Westin towel something that I can use. They need new towels that are more absorbent.
Phone service/attendants: I walked my own bags down on more than 1 visit there. I had to have the front desk call for my car on more than 1 visit there, because nobody answered the phone early in the morning when people go to work.
Room size: Above average.
Room service: Below average. Will someone please introduce some variety into these menus? It is easier & quicker to fight your way through the bar to get something to eat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear ilovemanhatta,
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We truly appreciate you letting us know your many experiences at the hotel. We take pride in genuinely addressing feedback so we can deliver exactly what will make your stay memorable. We will share your feedback so we can provide The Westin experience that you deserve.
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

It was a great location for a conference with lots of restaurant and shopping choices within walking distance. Take advantage of the pedestrian bridge that connects hotel with South Coast Plaza Shopping Mall and lots of great restaurants.
Now the room itself is nothing to write home about. In fact my first room had missing grout around the tub plus mold and mildew. The manager was shocked about this. I was moved to another room and the room was taken out of the inventory. He was very nice and apologetic about it.
Bottom line is LOCATION LOCATION.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Mollygee,
Thank you for staying with us at the hotel. We glad to hear that our location met your needs. It is refreshing to hear that our team addressed your concern immediately and we took action. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with an exceptional experience.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

A little disappointed by this one: popcorn ceilings, incredibly poor sound insulation, dated bathrooms, and banged up elevator cabs.

I was awakened at 9 AM by the sound of my next door neighbor talking on his phone. I have better room to room sound insulation in my 1960s built home.

On a positive note: the room itself was nicely appointed, the common areas were nice, and the location is next to South Coast Plaza if that is your thing.

Overall, a little overpriced for what it really is.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DanielG12,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. You will be delighted to hear that we are anticipating an room renovation next year. We hope that you will be back to experience our hotel again.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

As a Platinum Starwood member there were some plusses and minuses at this property. I was upgraded to a larger corner room that was exactly what I requested. The only downside was there is no Club lounge and was offered some coffee or something in the little market they had. BTW it closes early in the evening if you need something from little store.

They have a great pool and gym. The pool was decent for a hotel pool for lap swimming.

The hotel is walkable to South Coast Plaza. The only other downside was the expensive parking which was $30 for vallet and $20 for self.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor for some great views of the area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Larry G,
Our hotel is truly a great Westin. We look forward to your return visit.
Vancouver, Washington, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We checked in Sunday June 16 for just one night. Sophia who checked us in was very professional and nice. When she found out it was our twin's birthday that day, she sent up a card, four cookies and four glasses of milk. That was very unexpected and a very nice gesture on her part. The room on the fifth floor faced the pool and had those wonderful Westin Heavenly Beds. Everything was clean and the pool was nice and heated so the kids got to swim. There was a fee of $20 for parking and the internet in the room was extra. We were across the street from shopping and dining at the South Coast Plaza and close to the freeways.It was a convenient location with great customer service. I wish I could have stayed the next two nights of our trip but we had reservations at a different hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear justtravel,
Thank you for staying with us. Travel should always be enjoyable and we are glad to hear that you had just that at our hotel.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Westin is a good and comfortable hotel ideally located next to South Coast Plaza shopping mall.

We had had a long flight into Orange County Airport which is close by, and the hotel perfectly matched our needs.

South Coast Plaza gives plenty of dining choices, and there is a coffee shop in the lobby for breakfast coffee and pastries.

Free internet available in the lobby.

Only downside is $20 for parking in an adjacent lot, but billed to you room. Such a pity that you can't park in the shopping mall lot overnight free of charge.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Leesw8,
We are delighted to hear that you felt the hotel was comfortable and an ideal location. We look forward to your return visit.
Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Westin South Coast Plaza? Share your experiences!