“Westin South Coast Plaza” 4 of 5 stars

Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 23 hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersSilver level
australia
“Westin South Coast Plaza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed here for one night when we were attending a performance at the Performing Arts Complex which is right next door. The location was great, from the hotel there is a bridge walkway straight across to the Plaza stores across the road. Very convenient. The staff are nice as you would expect from an exclusive hotel. The decor was beautiful. The bar was nice and served food that came out quickly. The drawback is that the staff are so sterilised they lose some of that genuine warmth that smaller hotels have.The room we had looked out across the pool and gym and was nicely appointed. There was a bit of noise from adjoining rooms of children being noisy or throwing something or other. Not very well soundproofed. Maybe they dont expect much noise.
Very nice though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CostaMesaWestin, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin South Coast Plaza, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear AustraliaAust,
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad that you felt the property met your needs. We will share your feedback regarding the staff with our team to ensure we can improve on your expectations.

525 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I’ve spent over 20 nights in this facade of a luxury hotel over the last 5 years and I can say that the experience has been consistent. Consistently mediorce. (This is a follow-up review from Dec. 2010)

The staff is always friendly and helpful, the location is excellent (right off of the 405 and adjacent to the swanky South Coast Plaza mall, numerous corporate headquarters and many outstandng restaurants like Charlie Palmers, Scott’s, Marche Moderne, etc.) and the grounds are nicely landscaped. But this is a mirage.

The belly of the beast reveals a thoroughly average, dated hotel with dull rooms (even though they were recently upgraded), a lifelesss pool area with no shade and an apathetic attitude for thier best customers- like me.

As a Platinum level guest, I would have expected a substantive room upgrade on at least a few of my many stays. In fact, I have never been offered a suite- not once, even after asking. Instead, I’m given a standard 2 queen bed room, normally on the 14th floor. This may sound whiny but I am routinely given suites at most Starwood properties in reward for the $30k per year I spend with them. Salt is rubbed in the wound whenever I check in here and stand in the “Starwood Preferred Line”, only to find it unmanned or accepting whoever steps up, regardless of status.

The rooms are typical of big chain hotels with little panache and lots of biege. The bathrooms are small and motel-like with plastic shower curtains over bathtubs, instead of free-standing showers. They recently installed those annoying,trendy “Rainshower” shower heads which do nothing more than spit out weak drops that barely washes the shampoo from your hair- the opposite of the the strong, forceful stream most of us want. I think these are simply cost-saving devices disguised as chi-chi appliances.

The bar is very expensive. 2 beers and 2 bourbons cost $48.00 before tip.

The lack of recognition of my loyalty and the middle-of-the-road surroundings has led me to search for alternatives in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park to avoid highway noise.
Dear dupedtourist,
Our sincere apologies that you felt the hotel has not been able to deliver on your expectations as a valued Starwood Preferred Platinum member. We value your loyalty and strive to exceed your expectation. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a stay that will help you reach your potential and leave a lasting impression.
Mammoth Lakes, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stay here often and always appreciate the clean rooms and beautiful facility. Everyone that works there seem to be pleasant and helpful. Pool is small but nice...we didn't use it this trip, but have in the past. Love the skywalk to the mall!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Mamthgrl,
Thank you so much for staying with us. We are excited to hear that you loved your stay. Look forward to your return visit.
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Location: Adjacent to the South Coast Plaza Mall, and conveniently located off the Freeway with relatively short driving distances to almost anywhere in Orange County and the beaches. Laguna Beach was my favorite.

Parking: Vale and self parking . Charges apply.

Check in and Check out: At check in they had difficulty in accessing my reservation made through a website, but they were extremely polite all the time I waited there. When checking out they could not print out my bill -computer issue they said, and said they would email it to me which they did the same day. Staff at check out though was not as extremely polite as the check in crew. Maybe it was because it was 4 am in the morning.

Room: Upper floor room with nice view. Comfy bed and pillows. Large flat screen, HD channels,
coffee maker etc. I was very pleased.

Bathroom : Had everything I needed.

Cleanliness: No complaints.

Wi-fi: Did not use.

Restaurants: Lobby bar was nice to hang for a while, but a bit boring afterwards, plus you have tons of options to do when you are in Southern California so why stay inside the hotel.

Breakfast: I did not have breakfast there.

Price: Mine was a good rate for the area and hotel class.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Ural_74,
Thank you for your feedback. We hope you will give our hotel another opportunity to meet your needs upon your travels to our area.
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

April at the front desk always checks my associate and me in with a smile and remembers all our preferences - I seriously don't think she's capable of frowning. The entire staff is friendly at this, location which is almost as important to us road warriors as the rooms.

Large rooms and close by shopping/food make this an ideal location - still trying to get used to the new shower heads, but that's all Westins, not just this one (I miss the heavenly dual shower heads)

Room Tip: Park side gives an awesome view of the Christmas tree outside
Dear GrantP2,
Thank you so much for mentioning one of our valued associates. She will be glad to know that she made an emotional connection with you.
Honolulu, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Rooms are large and clean!!! Bathroom is average. Nothing special.
The gym and pool are clean and equip.
Valet car service is excellent but it will cost you $28.00 per day plus an additional $2-5 for tip.
Hotel is extremely dog and pet friendly.
Also very kid friendly. Kids running around everywhere.
Entrance is decorated beautifully but the glass doors are filthy with hand and finger prints, all I could see where living germs screaming at me. Same thing with the elevator buttons. It's sooo easy to wipe these type of things down. And it makes a huge difference visually and also mentally.
The quick and grab is the only place you can get the food and service you need.
The lobby bar service is horrible. Not helpful and again not enough staff.
I watch several tables get up and leave. I saw a lady wait 15 minutes to get a fork by that time her scrambled eggs were cold.
Unacceptable for a Westin!!!
We waited 20 minutes for service and asked twice for help. By the time they for to us they said breakfast is over.
So we ordered coffee and champagne. That took another 20 minutes and we were the only ones in the lobby bar.
I will not return to this Westin.
Rooms are basic, food is food, the service here is absolutely unacceptable.
Too many other place to pay that kind of money to go to.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear jadebynikolai,
Thank you for your feedback regarding to your experience with us. Our sincere apologies that we did not deliver on your experience when with us. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with the type of service you expect from The Westin brand.
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

After a 2 year self imposed sabbatical from business travel, I turned up at the Westin, like I had never been away (minus a few bazillion points).
The high quality standards are all there, if not better than I remember and I was greeted at the front desk as if I was still one of the family. The food from the restaurant was really very good and the staff could not have been more helpful.

Dear Jorton,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Our team will be glad to hear that they made you feel welcome and that you were treated as a valued frequent traveler. Look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Westin South Coast Plaza? Share your experiences!