“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 23 hotels in Costa Mesa
Georgia
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

This was a great little motel, clean, friendly and affordable. The staff are great, and seem to take great pride in their work. The manager (Edgar) does an amazing job of making sure you're stay is the best it could be. They have a really good continental breakfast, and the "Chateaux Cardboard" happy hour was a very pleasant little bonus. Our room was exceptionally clean and quiet, and the bed super comfy. We are so pleased we decided not to pay the big bucks for a fancy hotel, this was basic but but worked perfectly for us while we were searching for real estate to buy after being transfered to the LA area with work. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

233 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

We had a really good stay here and were very comfortable. The rooms were very, very good and had many facilities. We had whirlpool tubs which we had great fun with, we didn't pay extra and don't know whether this comes with all rooms. My parents had one but, being elderly, didn't play with it. The staff were great and the breakfast was fantastic. We always appreciate this since we travel for thousands of miles every year in the States for several weeks on end. Some motels do this well, some are awful and we rather wish they'd not bother at all than raise our hopes!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

The water was VERY hot. The towels were VERY plush. The pillows were perfect for the side-sleeping traveler. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to visit Costa Mesa/ Newport Beach area and stay there again. Very close to shopping and easy access to downtown district.

Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
U.K.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

What a fabulous place.
Cheap and extraordinarily cheerful.

Right from the front desk to the maids who changed the rooms.
Like a totaly dork, I left my key in the room on two separate occasions and the guy on the front desk (I think his name was Edward) was so sweet.

The room was spacious and clean.
TV, fridge and hairdryer all standard and up to scratch.
Couple of chairs and a table if you feel like lounging!
Bed was large and comfortable and the room was well sound-proofed.

Breakfast was just fabulous.
Everything you could want from cereal to toast to muffins to a waffle machine!
Coffee, tea, juice and milk as standard.

Likewise with snacks at 5 p.m.
And we got our newspaper every day without fail.
Drinks machines in the central island if you're desperate for refreshments.
Also has an old computer in the lobby, but it works great (except for social networking sites!) and has a printer so you can Mapquest if you need to.

Pool was GREAT.
Enough lounger for everyone, though the covers were a bit tatty.
Sauna in the corner...I went in, but didn't use it and it was in excellent nick.
The hot tub was just prime.
Set in a raised awning overlooking the pool and surrounding the trees, it felt like a little spa!
My boyfriend and I had to ourselves most of the time, but it was definitely big enough for a good few more.

It being America, we were surrounded with amazing places to eat, just a short (5 minutes including crossing the road) walk away.
Convenience store was even closer for all the Cherry Cokes and Nerd Rope you could get your hands on.

10 minutes from H.B. and with West Hollywood and Venice a relatively quick drive away, this is your PERFECT base.

We will stay here every time we are over.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

We stayed one night in this motel. The complimentary breakfast was great, the motel is close to local eating areas and the rooms were clean and comfortable. For the money we paid it was well worth it, especially if you are just passing through.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Garden Grove
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

I booked a big suite which was clean and really roomy. I was pleased with my stay except for the VERY RUDE lady who handled my check out Sunday morning. She accused me of having more people in my room then I specified. I informed I had the exact number stay in my room that I claimed. Friends live nearby so they left their purses & coats in my room before we went to the bar which is next door. All took cabs home after the bar closed. Anyways, for younger people..I wouldn't recommend this hotel. Because of her demeaning attitude, I seriously felt like a 5 year old getting scolded for something I didn't do, I will never stay at a Super 8 again!!

• Liked — Suite Size
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Here and There
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2007

When so many of the other hotels in the Newport Beach/Costa Mesa area can cost $200 a night or more, it was wonderful finding the Super 8 at less than $75 per night, including taxes. The rooms were large and spotless and the beds were great. The hotel amenities were also wonderful (pool, continental breakfast, etc.) While it's still a "Super 8" (i.e., it's not the Hyatt or Hilton), if what you want is a clean, comfortable room to sleep in -- and not a "resort" experience -- you can't beat this hotel!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Super 8 Costa Mesa / Newport Beach Area? Share your experiences!