“Not so great customer service” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Not so great customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed here New Year's Eve and originally reserved a penthouse suite. I wanted to show my 2 friends the beautiful suite this property had to offer and I was extremely disappointed by the fact that they had "stay overs" who made it impossible for me to get the suite I reserved.
Instead they put us in two different rooms. We were there to have a good home-cooked dinner and ring in the new year together peacefully, but sadly this wasn't the case. Having worked for hotels before, I understand overbooking but I also know you give priority to guests with reservations. I would've had the "stay-overs" transfer room types if this was such a big issue or at the very least have some type of compensation for my inconvenience. To say that the staff seemed unapologetic about the whole issue. Based on this disappointing customer service experience, I would not stay here.
Beware of what you book or when you book. You won't get what you were "guaranteed"

Room Tip: Call the day of your reservation to confirm room type!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you Patty C for your review of your stay with us. We are very sorry that we could not guarantee your room type upon your arrival. We do our very best to accomodate every guest in their pre-booked room type, but being an extended stay hotel we do have guests that actually reside at our property. We are sure you can understand our delima on nights when we have over sold our limited amount of penthouses on whether to give two of our regular suites to a guest staying one night or ask a guest who has been with us for 3 months to move for one night. We would have happily found other accomodations for you so you, your friends, and family could all be together in one room.

I am personally sorry for the apathetic attitude the front desk may have taken. I invite you to contact me personally so we can rectify this situation and invite you back to the property so you can truely experience our guest first service and all of our amentities our property has to offer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for over a month as part of my official trip to Newport Beach.

Good things : Good Staff, Nice breakfast and dinner, good location (Best buy and stater brother is very nearby), Nice ambiance, clean and tidy.

Improvement points : Should have more shuttle service, at times I need to wait more than 1 hour to get shuttle when my rented car broke down which was bad experience. should serve dinner a little extra time because when you come to Newport you are looking for holiday and you tend to come in late and at that time dinner was over.

Pizza joint at the market adjacent to it is awesome and there is beer store, taco store is open 24*7.

Spa was good and it has a gym which is nice and all major equipments are there. Room is nice and hotel is well connected to freeways. You'll need to supply your own dishwashing soap and sponge.

It is very close John Wayne airport and all thingsa re close by like Disneyland nad hollywood.

If you come in August there is Orange county fair which is very good and I loved food options there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you rahul2755 for your honest review of our property. Here at Residence Inn Costa Mesa our number one priority is our guests and we hope our staff provides a great long lasting impression on all of our guests. Although our shuttle service is available for all of our guests at any time we go have some days when our shuttle van is out quiet a bit and with South Coast Metro area traffic sometimes the wait is longer than we anticipate so we are very sorry for any inconvienence this may have caused you.

Our complimentry social hour is a highlight of our property providing light dinners for our guests and at the two hour length of time we have found that it is longer than most other Residence Inns in our area. Not to mention that once it gets into the late evening we are wasting food because most guests have retreated to their rooms. We do our best to accomodate any request and even if we are cleaning up social hour we will still find leftovers for anyone who asks.

We are happy you were able to utilize our gym area during your stay. We hope it helped keep your daily regimine in place during your time here with us.

We hope to host you in the future during your next time here in Orange County. We look forward to welcoming you to your "home away from home"!
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My family of six stayed in a 2 bedroom suite while visiting Disneyland. The hotel and room were very nice and clean. The suite offered plenty of room for a big family. Disneyland is only about 20 minutes away so this was a much better alternative than staying at the more expensive hotels closer to Disney. The morning hot breakfast buffet is included which was another bonus and money saver.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you kz04jd for your wonderful review of our property. We hope you got the most out of your stay with us. Our two bedroom Penthouses are very versitile and popular for families and we're glad your were able to secure one during your time here. We're happy to hear you took advantage of the complimentary daily hot breakfast. We hope you consider us for future family vacations in Orange County.
san diego,ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband and I had a pleasant 2 night stay at this Residence Inn while visiting a friend of ours. Our room was clean complete with a full size kitchen stocked with pots, pans and utensils. So if you like or need to cook....this hotel is perfect. You'll need to supply your own dishwashing soap and sponge though. It's also close to shopping, freeways, John Wayne Airport, restaurants and not too far from Disneyland. We enjoyed the heated swimming pool and jacuzzi. There is a bbq grill in the pool area but we didn't use it. We look forward to staying at this particular Residence Inn in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you Boltsfan858 for your review of our property. We are so happy your were able to utilize our various amenties on property such as our pool area and in room kitchens. We strive to make your stay relaxing while in the Orange County area. We look forward to your next visit with us!
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is a quite perfect Residence Inn. The rooms are nice and spacious, the location is easy to get to by the freeways. It has a quite quiet and safe surrounding.
The staff is helpful and cordial, and the breakfast is nice and the choices are plenty. The lobby has a computer which you can print stuff for free.
The only downside is that they only give 1pm "late" checkout for elite members. Don't know whether this happens at all Residence Inn.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms would be nicer
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you Michael C for taking the time to review our property. We truely appreciate your great mentions of our property.

Although we do allow late check outs for our Marriott Elite rewards members it is based on availability. Some days are busier than others and our housekeeping staff is limited so we still do our very best and offer the latest check out we can without hindering our productivity to turn the room for guests arriving.

We know that every Residence Inn is different so we can't speak for all of them, but we hope you consider us for future stays when you are in the area.
Shaver Lake, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I was impressed with this hotel. The 1 bedroom suite was spacious and very nice.The staff was very nice and truly focused on customer service. The rate was reasonable for this area. The location was very conenient to the freeways,shopping, restaurants, business areas. I look forward to a return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Sue_Cooke, General Manager at Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you Anthony C for your review and for pointing out the value in our property and recognizing our dedication to "guest first" service. This is really what sets us apart from other extended stay brands in our immediate area. All of our employees are trained to deliver you wonderful service and nothing is ever "too much trouble" for us to give our guests.

We hope you consider us again when you come to our area. We look forward to welcoming you back to your "home away from home".
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

As a "residence" the experience is different than a standard hotel/motel, and obviously caters to a long term stay. There is no hotel bar, or room service. There is breakfast and a small selection of items for sale such as soda, beer, and ice cream. Even though I stayed only one night, I found it to be a very good place to stay. It's not a fancy place, but the rooms are very spacious and clean. The one issue is the key system and the doors. I don't know if it was because of the rain that may have caused the door to swell, but I was completely unable to open the door to my room. I had to call to have someone open the door for me. Then (!) I could not get the door open to get out of my room. I had to call for help again. Thanks to Devon, the on-duty staff person who was so helpful and responsive. His ability to respond with a concrete solution made it a non-issue. (I ended up having to change rooms--so I was able to see the range of rooms.) I also found the other staff to be very pleasant as well. I think this would be a good place to stay with a family that might be headed to Disneyland because of the size of the rooms and the kitchen with full size fridge. It is also relatively close to John Wayne Airport and close to freeways.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you NorCalHereAndThere for your gracious review of our property. We love that you found your room(s) spacious and relaxing. We want to extend our apologies for the trouble you had with your door lock. We are working diligently with the manufacture to rectify the problem you had so this doesn't happen to any other guests in the future. Thank you for pointing out Deven's quick response. We do our vey best to ensure that we rectify all problems immediately for our guests.

We hope you consider us for future stays during your time here in the Orange County area.

Been to Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach? Share your experiences!